helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
pdmanaz

Medical Marijuana

pdmanaz    48

I know this is a subject broached here many times but maybe I have a different approach or at least different information.

To qualify as a patient in Arizona, a person must have one of the following qualifying conditions:

• – Cancer
  • – Glaucoma
  • – Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
  • – Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
  • – Hepatitis C
  • – Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
  • – Crohn’s disease
  • – Agitation of Alzheimer’s disease
  • – A chronic or debilitating disease, medical condition or the treatment that causes:
    1. Cachexia or wasting syndrome;
    2. Severe and chronic pain;
    3. Severe nausea; Seizures, including those characteristic of epilepsy;
    4. Severe or persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis

At present there is an effort to add Parkinson's Disease to that list - nothing yet though.

My thoughts are if Medical Marijuana is approved and known to treat or at least beneficial to the above listed conditions might there be possibly some benefit to PWP as well. We all know the testing routine for pharmaceutical it will take literally years for anything to be approved for Parkinson's within the medical establishment.

Marijuana isn't what it use to be and today more than 779 marijuana strains exists. These are engineered for taste, effect condition, disease and more.

December 2013 - Spurred by growing reports of the medical efficacy of cannabidiol (CBD), the second leading active ingredient in marijuana, patients are increasingly seeking out high-CBD varieties for treatment of conditions ranging from severe epilepsy and multiple sclerosis to anxiety and cancer pain.

CBD has long been overshadowed by delta-9-THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the primary active ingredient in marijuana, because unlike THC, it does not produce a psychoactive “high.” CBD has nonetheless long been known to have useful anti-spasmodic, anti-epileptic, anti-anxiety, and anti-psychotic properties.

Although CBD lacks noticeable effects when taken alone, it has a calming, sedative effect when combined with THC, cutting down on the anxiety, paranoia, and memory impairment that many users find unpleasant or debilitating with regular marijuana. CBD-rich strains accordingly have particular appeal to older users and medical patients who are uncomfortable with the THC high.

Sorry for the long post but felt a revisit of this medical benefit was greatly needed. IMHO this product is worth researching and revisiting for PWP. There is cannabis with no THC thereby no stoned high.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. This is definitely worth researching! I wish people who are so against mm would be more open-minded; I think they tend to focus too much on the THC. Some of them who are not afflicted with a chronic, debilitating disease might reconsider if they were.

pdmanaz    48

Im getting my medical marijuana card in a couple of weeks and plan on using it as medicine. Start living less in fear and doing something about it. No my MDS would not approve but its my body and my life. I will depend on my own choices about my life.

• Like 1

TexasTom    706

There is a YouTube video: Parkinson's Tremor Control

Follow up from Ian Frizzel is Parkinson's Tremor Control Update

I have zero interest in ever getting high, and with lung issues the last thing I would ever do is smoke something. Irony is I did have an opportunity in Colorado to try an edible.  While it helped in tremor reduction, Sinemet is more effective for me.  What I didn't expect was to sleep soundly.  First time in years I slept for eight hours.  I kept thinking my clock was off, but I felt rested and refreshed. My 'night time' Sinemet was still there with my class of water, but I had slept through it.  Normally Dystonia comes to visit me in the middle of the night, waking me. So for relief I take two 25/100 Sinemets (Comtan not needed) and drift off for a few hours.  

I have zero knowledge of why it worked, I would love to try it again but where I live it is illegal.  So not an option for me.

• Like 2

pdmanaz    48

I think medical marijuana can be used for many different things. I have Parkinson's yes but not really taking MM for that but more for - well I have stomach issues with IBS and Gerd hoping it will help with that. Less anxiety, better sleep, quieter stomach and gut issues, better outlook on life. All of these can be had with MM. I'm not trying to sell the idea to anyone but more interested in getting the correct information to those that just simply don't know about the benefits.

Thank you for reading -  i'm only trying to help.

• Like 1

Shaker Dave    37

I'm in a similar situation to you Tom. I have found relief from edibles etc while on vacation. Absolutely correct, get accurate information out within our community and let the people make an informed decision. Remember we are patients not criminals. Spread the word. Together we can make a difference. "Help be the change you want to see in this world."

• Like 2

wilsons66604    35

A few days after my first visit with my MDS, Dr. Pahwa and his KU Med team hosted a symposium in Kansas City.

Hundreds of PWP attended.

You will see his response to a question I (and probably others) submitted about the use of MM to treat Parkinson's at about 46 minutes into this video...

https://youtu.be/Ovpb4_XDVWI?t=46m30s

Here is the KU Med page with links to all the videos...

http://www.kumc.edu/school-of-medicine/parkinsons-disease-and-movement-disorder-center/symposium-videos.html

Edited by wilsons66604
  • Like 2

pdmanaz    48

I watched the video. IMHO this is the typical response from persons that don't need or want to participate in their own health with cannabis. It is still looked down upon by medical professionals with their own financial and professional agendas. I only hear negative things from people that are against it. There is a ton of information out there on this subject. Education is the best path for making an informed decision. IMHO big pharma isn't interested in the cannabis phenomenon because of direct competition with their products. They influence politically and is part of the definition of Crony Capitalism. Exactly the things we are trying to get rid of in this country. Too much financial and  power brokering between big business and politics. How do you think all the politicians become wealthy serving the public with public service jobs.

At this point it's up to the individual to think outside the box and do what's best for their own personal and medical needs. I'm 71 and tired of everyone else telling me whats good for me and telling me what i should and shouldn't do. Think for yourself. Education first.

Look at the side effects of all the different PD meds. Nothing is perfect. Choose you meds carefully. Noticed all the ads on TV from big pharma and the side effects - it's like OMG i would never take that but they are still pushing with promises and flowers of how wonderful they are.

Edited by pdmanaz
  • Like 1

I watched the video. IMHO this is the typical response from persons that don't need or want to participate in their own health with cannabis. It is still looked down upon by medical professionals with their own financial and professional agendas. I only hear negative things from people that are against it. There is a ton of information out there on this subject. Education is the best path for making an informed decision. IMHO big pharma isn't interested in the cannabis phenomenon because of direct competition with their products. They influence politically and is part of the definition of Crony Capitalism. Exactly the things we are trying to get rid of in this country. Too much financial and power brokering between big business and politics. How do you think all the politicians become wealthy serving the public with public service jobs.

At this point it's up to the individual to think outside the box and do what's best for their own personal and medical needs. I'm 71 and tired of everyone else telling me whats good for me and telling me what i should and shouldn't do. Think for yourself. Education first.

Look at the side effects of all the different PD meds. Nothing is perfect. Choose you meds carefully. Noticed all the ads on TV from big pharma and the side effects - it's like OMG i would never take that but they are still pushing with promises and flowers of how wonderful they are.

Yes, education is key. As another forum member once said, I'd take fairy dust & unicorn farts if I thought they might help, lol. On that note, look what I found on FB today.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1094759547235959/?ti=cl.

The impression I got was that my MDS' reply is that he doesn't know much about MM.

and

Didn't sound like he was interested in going there.

That's unfortunate; perhaps it's time to find a new MDS. I still can't understand why some people are so resistant to change when there's a possibility of helping so many who are afflicted.

I just saw the PA at my MDS office last week. When my husband suggested cannabis for my insomnia, she said the MD is looking into it, and in fact, just went to a conference about it. She also told us that he would need to attend a 6-hour course in order to write Rx's. The mm ammendment is expected to pass here in Florida this November, so my prospects are good.

Good luck to you.

Shaker Dave    37

Here's a link to a recent study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27723182/

We all need to be advocates for our own health. It's not for everyone, just like any other pharmaceutical. I'm hoping our community will help support various medical treatments that help our condition. Even fairy dust and unicorn farts if applicable, lol!

• Like 2

MurrayPD2    219

I have REM sleep disorder, and while clonazepam is very effective I would rather be able to have other options but my state is light years behind most others.

http://www.cannabestmedical.com/cannabest-medical-blog/2016/10/18/ways-cannabis-affects-sleep

It looks like this may be a catalyst to get MM to the Midwest/Southwest faster: http://www.smokymountainnews.com/news/item/17627-cherokee-moves-toward-marijuana-legalization

I am registered Cherokee, so there may be positive changes next year.

Feisty Folder    162

Yes, education is key. As another forum member once said, I'd take fairy dust & unicorn farts if I thought they might help, lol. On that note, look what I found on FB today.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1094759547235959/?ti=cl.

Totally off topic but I said that! I've just been quoted, I feel so honored????. I wrote something and someone actually rememberd it! So in honour of this momentous occasion I suggest a three step plan

1 legalizing medical marijuana in all 50 states

2 researching to find the best MM strain to treat PD

3 naming said strain "unicorn farts"????

(Sorry if I'm coming across as wacky- I have a sleep study tomorrow night and am trying not to sleep much tonight and I'm starting to get weirder than usual)

Edited by Feisty Folder
  • Like 5

hercules957    108

Sharing, not judging. I started using MM 3 weeks ago and noticed that I slept better due to less rigidity or muscle pain. It lightened up my mood and attenuated my tremors. However, I noticed that my symptoms the next day would be more pronounced. I took MM and felt better. Then it occurred to me that I was getting into a form of dependence. While on MM I felt better than when not using it. But I also need to use it periodically. I am taking a one week break from it to see how it goes, it has been 3 days and my symptoms are just like they were before I started MM. STILL a bit early to draw long term conclusion but I will say that MM helps with PD symptoms as an adjunct to levodopa. But if you don't use it regularly the body starts to demand more and causes symptoms.

Edited by hercules957
  • Like 1

pdmanaz    48

A point of note for all interested parties. The worst way to consume marijuana is smoking it.

Smoking Vs. Vaporizing Cannabis

Depending on one’s experience within the realm of cannabis consumption, some may never have heard of vaporizing.

Vaporizing is a common technique for consuming marijuana, while at the same time negating many irritating respiratory toxins that exists within the grown marijuana flower and are released when smoked. Conversely, vaporizing allows one to get at all of the psychoactive ingredients available within that specific strain of marijuana , minus the combustion that ordinarily takes place during consumption.

The basic design of the average marijuana vaporizer is to allow marijuana smokers to inhale the many active Cannabinoids, while at the same time avoiding any of the harmful elements that may exist on that specific flower… although invisible to the naked eye.

While most don’t know it … There is a vast difference in the quality of smoke that one receives when they vaporize versus igniting their plant matter. When one smokes a joint, or hits their bong approximately 88% of the combusted smoke gases contain non-cannabinoid elements, most of which do not get you high and provide potential health risks.

Conversely when one uses a marijuana vaporizer the smoke/gases that they are inhaling consists of approximately 95% cannabinoids, otherwise known as the psychoactive ingredients that both calm the mind and soothe the body.

• Like 5

Nailtatt    57

I have access to some edibles and am considering trying them when my meds aren't working very well. Going to have to experiment with them to see the right amount etc. Should be interesting. 

wilsons66604    35

I have access to some edibles and am considering trying them when my meds aren't working very well. Going to have to experiment with them to see the right amount etc. Should be interesting. 

One thing to note about edibles...

They take a while to kick in. I tried a legal bite size brownie in WA and it took 3 hours before it kicked in.

That may be what I need for my inability to stay asleep for longer than 3-4 hrs at a time.

Nailtatt    57

One thing to note about edibles...

They take a while to kick in. I tried a legal bite size brownie in WA and it took 3 hours before it kicked in.

That may be what I need for my inability to stay asleep for longer than 3-4 hrs at a time.

Good to know. I wasn't sure. I will ask those questions when I do try the ones I have access to. Not quite ready to do that but will do my research.