helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
kronron

My DAT Scan what do you think

I'm far away from being a Radiologist I can just comment from seeing many examples on the net...

Normal always show a comma shape where PD shows a period shape...

I too tried to analyze my own Pet Scan images....big mistake on my part.

There are so many negative reasons not to self diagnose or read more into what you see....

Large percentage of being wrong....get the educated breakdown on your image...

Best of luck

D

Hard to tell what it means when you only see one image out of 40 or 50.  Your doctor is going to review all of the images within the series to make a determination.

Just my two cents.

Dave

If someone has had a DAT scan how long should they wait if they would like to have another one?

Did you have it read by a qualified doctor? What was the results? DatScans wont show progression if that is what you are looking for. They only help the doctor distinguish between PD and other related illnesses that mimic PD.

Hope this helps

Thanks I haven't seen the doctor to read me the results. but after flipping thru all the images thats the largest amount of color i could find in the pictures. I'm 41 with PD symptoms . I been taking carbo/levo for two years.

Anything I can take for the uncontrollable  head movement after my meds kick in?

No clue on the DatSCAN. 

When did you start taking meds, and how long did you take to ramp up?  My MDS adjusted mine (too little or too much) caused issues. So it took a while until I felt good on Sinemet.

I still have to watch it when I take meds and eat food (protien) to keep on that sweet spot.

Thanks I haven't seen the doctor to read me the results. but after flipping thru all the images thats the largest amount of color i could find in the pictures. I'm 41 with PD symptoms . I been taking carbo/levo for two years.

Anything I can take for the uncontrollable  head movement after my meds kick in?

You definitely need to chat with your MDS or neurologist about both the DaTscan results, as well as how to deal with the medication side effects.  It's not common to have dyskinesia or other problems like those head movements after just 2 years on C/L, and especially on your dose (2 tabs 3x per day).  There might be something else going on that you need to get checked on.  

• Like 1

There is no reason to have a second DatScan.  It's just the blueprint of how many transporters you have, not if they're good or bad quality. The only thing it's used for is the identification of the shape- comma, period or nothing.  The shape also does not have any relationship to disease progression or staging.  Annoying, I know.

• Like 1

The color intensity also doesn't matter.  It's just the radiologist fiddling with a knob in order to show contrast.

The dyskinesia can start at any time, and an MDS can give you a better med schedule or a second med for it.

Im 41, been symptomatic for 3.5 years but only on c/l for 9 months and they've started in little ways already.