helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
genden69

Hospice

Lane, thank you for your response and experience. I am so sorry for your loss. First of all you did an excellent job as caregiver. This responsibility requires everything we have in us and more. As I lament over how difficult and hard on me the caregiving is, those thoughts are overshadowed by the heartache of seeing a loved one slowly slip away in the relentless grip of a horrible disease. My DH has not only suffered the physical ravages of a disease that has robbed him of his mobility and the ability to do anything he enjoys, but even more debilitating is the loss of mental function--the hallucinations, the paranoia, the delusions, the loss of warm emotions, replaced by fear and anger, the dementia and loss of perspective. So little is left as I care for the deteriorating body. He doesn't have the ability to feel emotion for me, recognize our relationship or often even who I am. Though much of who DH was has slipped away, his shell is still here to remind me of what was. The grief of loss is daily. Thank you for telling us of your hospice experience. I hope I will be able to find an agency that is as effective as the one you chose. Like you, this is the most difficult thing I have had to experience. I wish for you a useful life filled with fulfillment and joy again.

• Like 3

As I understand it, Hospice operates under Mecicare and Medicare establishes the rules. My DH would be able to take his regular PD Meds, but not the specialty med because of the cost. Perhaps you were able to see your own doctor because he had privileges at the hospital system that the hospice group was part of. It all comes down to rules and you have to know the rules and how they apply to your situation. I am happy hospice worked well for you.

Yeah. I have private insurance through my former employer. They basically pre authorize a set number of visits per week.

Not looking forward to Medicare.

Hospice knew how to care and handle every need - with Love- this meant a great deal to us - even thought it only lasted 7 days. We laid mom to rest yesterday and we know that we did everything we possibly could!!  When I saw all the elderly kids there it made me think there is plenty of time to rest,,,. So  yes it was worth every effort, all the anxiety, physical and emotional strain ... it is what it is...

My husband was declining in so many ways, weakness, incontinence, dementia, choking, constipation and not being able to walk without a walker. I called a hospice company in our area. A rep came out to explain the program and said she would have a nurse come out to check him. But first we had to get his doctor to order the hospice for him. She finally did and he was started on it right away. The nurse was able to see to it that he could get all of the medications he was on. He had someone come twice a week to give him a shower, the nurse came once a week to take his vitals. There was a social worker who checked on our DNR status and funeral arrangements. There was a person in charge of getting volunteers to come and stay with him if I needed to run errands. A bereavement chaplain came once a month and another chaplain visited once a month and sang to us. If he needed some kind of med that had not been ordered by his doc the nurse would have the hospice doctor order it like pain meds and something to help him with constipation. At six months a doctor came to see him and decided that he no longer qualified for hospice as he had not declined enough. In order to qualify he had to have had falls, an infection or pneumonia . Now he is on home health care which was ordered by my doctor for him. He will have to be evaluated every two months to keep qualifying for PT, OT and speech and hearing. 

Thank you for letting us know of your experience. It is very helpful and prepares me for what our lives may be like someday. I hope things are improved for you both.

Know that others care, please come back again.