helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
kronron

What helps with Dyskinesia?

19 posts in this topic

So just wanted to find out if there is medication that helps with dyskinesia?

How fast does PD progress. Ive had it for 2 years. 

PD is usually pretty slow to progress.  Different for everyone of course, but typical is fairly slow progression.  "Young Onset" is usually slower than the more typical older onset.  "Young" being under 45-50 at diagnosis or major cardinal symptom onset.

I know Amantadine is used by some to help with dyskenesia.  There are a number of other drugs under development to help with that too.

2 people like this

PD is usually pretty slow to progress.  Different for everyone of course, but typical is fairly slow progression.  "Young Onset" is usually slower than the more typical older onset.  "Young" being under 45-50 at diagnosis or major cardinal symptom onset.

I know Amantadine is used by some to help with dyskenesia.  There are a number of other drugs under development to help with that too.

How come you stop taking Azilect? Did it help at all?

I had a bad reaction to Azilect. After a few weeks on it I was having problems with confusion and short term memory loss. I also started to hallucinate. Within a couple days of stopping Azilect that started to go away. Within a few more days I was was basically back to normal.

I had audio hallucinations when I took a very low dose of Amantadine. We can all have different responses to the same medications.

Dianne

So just wanted to find out if there is medication that helps with dyskinesia?

How fast does PD progress. Ive had it for 2 years. 

Hi Kronron

Looks like your topic got hyjacked.I know a few people who greatly suffer from dyskinsia.From what i have read taking meds at a lower dose (C/L) also at more frequent helps with IM.I have them in the form of myoclonic jerks especially at wearing off.Im experminting with comtan and using a lowerC/L dose,the jury is still out on this self venture.hard to find a MD doc around here who really knows their trade.

I do know another friend who also had terrible dyskinesia,she had DBS ,unawake surgery and now free from it,a miracle.

Good luck kronron come back anytime ,good friend.

john

Thread drift is distinct from thread hijack.  Kronron asked me specifically about why I stopped Azilect (I presume because I have it crossed out in my sig block).  He asked too about rate of progression.  Since he was the OP I think that's a perfectly fine drift on the thread.

Anyway, yes, reducing the quantity of meds (while possibly increasing frequency) helps some with dyskinesia.  Other folks use, as mentioned before, amantadine for controlling dyskinesias.  And DBS is also useful, largely because it usually allows a reducing in C/L doses.  

1 person likes this

In my case I started dyskinesia a short one year after starting carbidopa/levodopa.

For many, dyskinesia induced my this medication comes after many years of usage.

My research lead me to believe that carbidopa was the cause.  So I decided to treat my PD using Mucuna Pruriens to get the needed levodopa.  Within 3 days of switching from sinemet to the natural form of levodopa dyskinesia was reduced 90%.  A few months later no more dyskinesia.

3 people like this

In my case I started dyskinesia a short one year after starting carbidopa/levodopa.

For many, dyskinesia induced my this medication comes after many years of usage.

My research lead me to believe that carbidopa was the cause.  So I decided to treat my PD using Mucuna Pruriens to get the needed levodopa.  Within 3 days of switching from sinemet to the natural form of levodopa dyskinesia was reduced 90%.  A few months later no more dyskinesia.

So all you take is  Mucuna Pruriens and you can go to work and function ok with energy?

Not exactly kronron. I follow the Hinz amino acid protocol. This means that I take my levodopa from Mucuna powder but keep my body chemistry balanced using other supplements. Fortunately I am retired and I don't have the challenge to tame PD and work at the same time. But overall I feel good and have normal energy levels. I am just glad I don't have to watch dyskinesia progress anymore.

Edited by hercules957
2 people like this

Hercules- I will look into that, thanks!! My system isn't terribly happy with the level of c/l required to keep the tremors away.

1 person likes this

Hi kronron,

Dyskinesias result from long-term use of C/L.  They are "bad movements" and occur when there is too much medication in the system (and they get worse over time).  I was prescribed Amantadine on a couple different occasions in the past to help with the dyskinesias (I have had PD for 15 years); however, I never noticed any real benefit from that drug.  I have found that eating some protein will tend to calm my dyskinesias; however, the protein will also impact the effectiveness of the C/L, so I have had to figure out how much to consume (which is a fine balance).  I have also found that caffeine and stress will exacerbate my dyskinesias, so I try to minimize those when I really don't want to be bothered with dyskinesias.  The good news is that I am now on the Duopa pump, which has really helped with both PD symptoms and medication side effects.  My oral meds are gone and I am only on the gel.  It's been a huge help.  I highly recommend that others consider the pump...it's a very effective treatment!

Blessings,

Mihai

Edited by Mihai
1 person likes this

Hi kronron,

Dyskinesias result from long-term use of C/L.  They are "bad movements" and occur when there is too much medication in the system (and they get worse over time).  I was prescribed Amantadine on a couple different occasions in the past to help with the dyskinesias (I have had PD for 15 years); however, I never noticed any real benefit from that drug.  I have found that eating some protein will tend to calm my dyskinesias; however, the protein will also impact the effectiveness of the C/L, so I have had to figure out how much to consume (which is a fine balance).  I have also found that caffeine and stress will exacerbate my dyskinesias, so I try to minimize those when I really don't want to be bothered with dyskinesias.  The good news is that I am now on the Duopa pump, which has really helped with both PD symptoms and medication side effects.  My oral meds are gone and I am only on the gel.  It's been a huge help.  I highly recommend that others consider the pump...it's a very effective treatment!

Blessings,

Mihai

whats a Duopa pump? I want that too

It's a method of delivering C/L directly to the intestine through a peg-j tube inserted into the stomach.  The pump facilitates a consistent flow of medication throughout the day, so the "peaks and valleys" with regular PD meds are essentially minimized (or eliminated).  It was approved as a treatment option by the FDA in February of this year and is available on the market in the US.

Mihai

There are at least a couple folks on here using the Duopa pump.  It's a good potential alternative to DBS if you either really don't want to go for brain surgery, or if you aren't eligible for DBS in the first place.  Or if you just want to delay the need for DBS.

I've had the Duopa pump for 11 months. It gives me a steady dose of carb/levo for up to 16 hours/day. That means no on/off fluctuations. It totally eliminates the issue of having to schedule my medication around mealtimes. It gives me the freedom to schedule things and expect that I won't have a sudden off period and have to cancel at the last minute. I can take a nap without worrying about the alarm on my phone waking me up. I never miss a dose or wonder if I took a pill.

I still have PD. It didn't l make my balance any better or make my eyes less dry or fix my faulty thermostat. I still have bladder and bowel issues. It didn't cure my slowed thought processes or restore any lost functions. Unlike DBS, it did not worsen my cognition. 

The dose can be fine tuned by my MDS to give me maximum benefit with the least amount of dyskinesia. If I am stressed or tired, I can give myself a little extra at the push of a button up to five times a day.

I love my Duopa.

Dianne

1 person likes this

Hi Dianne,

Glad to hear it is working well for you...I am having the same experience!  I'm not sure why more people are not looking into it.  I know that having a peg-j tube can be a bit intimidating, but it's really not that bad, especially given the benefits!

Blessings,

Mihai

1 person likes this

Hi kronron,

Blessings,

Mihai

A second the caffeine comment.  I get worse with just a diet soda sometimes