helplinedonate
kronron

Any experience with Cannabis & PD

Kronron,

I have been diagnosed for a little over 3 years. I use exercise and medical marijuana to treat my PD. The medical marijuana stops my tremor for up to 3 hours; it stops my urinary urgency; it allows me to sleep through the night; and it creates a feeling of well-being. I haven't noticed any side effects.

• Like 1

Try something safe like Ashwaghnda first.

You can't get much safer than marijuanana - 4,000 years use without one documented case pof causing death or serious reactions. It's listed in the homepathic, ayurvedic as well as allopathic  systems.....

from webMD

ASHWAGANDH.......A Side Effects & Safet

Ashwagandha is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth short-term. The long-term safety of ashwagandha is not known. Large doses of ashwagandha might cause stomach upset, diarrhea, and vomiting.

It’s not known whether it’s safe to apply ashwagandha directly to the skin.

Special Precautions & Warnings: Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Do not use ashwagandha if you are pregnant. It is rated LIKELY UNSAFE during pregnancy. There is some evidence that ashwagandha might cause miscarriages. Not enough is known about the use of ashwagandha during breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Diabetes: Ashwagandha might lower blood sugar levels. This could interfere with medications used for diabetes and cause blood sugar levels to go to low. If you have diabetes, monitor your blood sugar closely.

High or low blood pressure: Ashwagandha might decrease blood pressure. This could cause blood pressure to go to low in people with low blood pressure; or interfere with medications used to treat high blood pressure. Ashwagandha should be used cautiously if you have low blood pressure or take medications for your blood pressure.

Stomach ulcers: Ashwagandha can irritate the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Don’t use ashwagandha if you have a stomach ulcer.

“Auto-immune diseases” such as multiple sclerosis (MS), lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus, SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA), or other conditions: Ashwagandha might cause the immune system to become more active, and this could increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. If you have one of these conditions, it’s best to avoid using ashwagandha.

Surgery: Ashwagandha may slow down the central nervous system. Healthcare providers worry that anesthesia and other medications during and after surgery might increase this effect. Stop taking ashwagandha at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Thyroid disorders: Ashwagandha might increase thyroid hormone levels. Ashwagandha should be used cautiously or avoided if you have a thyroid condition or take thyroid hormone medications.

Edited by lethe

I used it during major surgery recovery for nights that I couldn't sleep. It and Kratom also helped me kick Dilaudid after spending months continously attached to an IV pump.

It worsens motor and cognitive issues for me. Your experience may vary.

Like meds, MJ affects everyone differently.

PatriotM just curious, do you know the THC and CBD concentration percentages of the cannabis you use?

Unfortunately, I don't know the concentrations.

Some experimenting with legal bud when visiting Washington. Everything is labeled and makes experimenting very interesting. :-)

I noticed that bud high in THC had the effect that most people go after....Laid back and relaxed. Increased appetite and ready to nap.

Some strains that were a mix of THC & CBD had more desirable effects (as far as I was concerned)

A strain called White Widow was one of my favorites. It had a calming affect (for tremors) but left me energized.

I was very surprised with the effects of CBD. Almost no "high" at ll but I could tell I was calm and the few tremors I have were gone.

Bud found on the street corner is a crap shoot on what effect it will have.

Since there are so many strains available, there is really no way to pick the best one.  Everybody is different and no one person will have the same reaction to a strain as the next.

• Like 2

I like cannatonic  THC 7.6, CBD 16.8.  I also like Mob Boss.  I don't remember the exact concentrations off the top of my head but it is high in CBD and higher than the cannatonic in THC.  I like just a little THC to elevate my mood but not get me high.  I also like it high in CBD.  I use just 2 or 3 puffs at a time.  It helps relieve pain and  rigidity - also sleep and tremors.

Edited by lahdedah
  • Like 3

PatriotM just curious, do you know the THC and CBD concentration percentages of the cannabis you use?

Some that I tested while in Washington

"Sour Tsunami" CBD 18.93%   THC 0.95%

"Harlequin"   CBD 11.9%   THC 9.82%

"White Widow"   CBD 11%   THC 0.3%

"Dirty Widow"   CBD 0.13%   THC   21.2% 

• Like 2

What does good quality CBD oil taste like?  I purchased some that tastes like grass (the kind in a yard :) ) and didn't know if that reflects a good quality product or not.

Last week, DH made me some tea with Purple Rhino to help with my insomnia. I swear, I haven't slept like that in yesrs! Also, I couldn't tell you when was the last time I was that pain-free. I still felt pretty good the following morning. I know it's an indica hybrid, but I don't know the CBD/THC percentage.

This stuff needs to be legal everywhere!

What does good quality CBD oil taste like? I purchased some that tastes like grass (the kind in a yard :) ) and didn't know if that reflects a good quality product or not.

I recently became aware that not all CBD is created equal.

CBD is derived from hemp or canabis.

MM is still illegal in KS but they did legalize hemp derived CBD.

This article helped me to understand more.

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/industrial-hemp-derived-cbd-whats-there-to-know

• Like 1

Just got my Medical MJ card here in Arizona. All these post represent great information. I believe we should keep this post going and post to it has we discover new things about cannabis. The strain of MJ and the THC and CBD content IMHO is important. All CBD and no THC to me is not as good as a good balance between the two. I'm looking for that balance.

Again thanks for all the great information. Keep it up. Details are really important.

I am curious to try cannabis before going DBS, but I am in TX.   Also, I would probably get in trouble for it in my job or my VA provider.  I did hear of someone who did use it through the VA somehow.  It was the only thing that saved his daughter from a rare and serious neurological issue. He was preaching how great it was when I met him at the VA.

I just wish there was an easy way to sample it.  Do you just replace a PD med dose with cannabis when you try it?

I know very little about this topic but am trying to learn. I live in Texas as well and this lame ass conservative state will probably never legalize it sadly. Anyway, I have access to MJ and need to learn more about the kind I have access too. I have never done it in my life but now with PD in my life I am VERY curious. I have a good job and they don't drug test in my position so that is not an issue. I would mainly want to use it in the evenings when my meds wear off or just aren't working. This is all great info and I am enjoying reading about it! I hope the info keeps coming and I really hope more testing is done. I do know what THC is but have no idea what y'all are referring to when using the term "CBD". I will look that up.

GREAT DISCUSSION!

MurrayPD2 wrote:

I just wish there was an easy way to sample it.  Do you just replace a PD med dose with cannabis when you try it?

To begin with you would use it as an adjunct  to your regular meds, which likely don't work sufficiently enough, to enhance whatever useful stuff it does.   It helps your regular meds, but over time you can lessen the amount you are taking as your body and mind reacts to the new regime.

About three years ago I went down from 10 leva dopa (2 pills every three hours) to 6 daily (2 pills every 4 hours) which greatly lessened my dystonia.

Marijuana easily and quickly passes the blood brain barrier ( immediately or after a few minutes) , whereas leva dopa takes longer, about 45 minutes!

Edited by lethe
  • Like 1

MurrayPD2 wrote:

To begin with you would use it as an adjunct  to your regular meds, which likely don't work sufficiently enough, to enhance whatever useful stuff it does.   It helps your regular meds, but over time you can lessen the amount you are taking as your body and mind reacts to the new regime.

About three years ago I went down from 10 leva dopa (2 pills every three hours) to 6 daily (2 pills every 4 hours) which greatly lessened my dystonia.

Marijuana easily and quickly passes the blood brain barrier ( immediately or after a few minutes) , whereas leva dopa takes longer, about 45 minutes!

Yes, that would be great.  I do take a lot of C/L now and in the morning it seems to be 1.5 hours before I really peak. 

plus I have reached my max for my stomach to handle.

I tried MJ tea this summer while in Canada and found it helped relax the tight muscles, lowered anxiety and I slept well. Hoping it will be passed in Florida! I don't know what strain I had but I did not feel a buzz or stoned. If approved I will continue trying it. Twitch

• Like 3

I am still experimenting with MM.  Fortunately when ordering MM you can chose the strength of THC and CBD, I believe that trying to medicate using street MJ would be problematic.  I am using one blend THC 11% CBD 7% and an other THC 0 CBD 17% They both relaxe my muscles and calm my mind, I even notice attenuation of tremors.

• Like 3

Not a clue of what THC or CBD was, but had gotten some an edibles.  Irony is I thought it has zero effect on tremor, but my wife said I was giggling.

The oddest part.... I slept for 8 hours. That hasn't happened in over 30 years. Nothing I take helps with sleep, unless it knocks me out for the following day. Still that I slept that long, and woke up to see my 2 * 25/100 Sinemet sitting on the night stand was amazing.  Normally I wake up pretty stiff in the middle of the night, and need the additional Sinemet around 3 in the morning, then back to Sinemet & comtan at 5:00AM.

Not legal in Texas.

Edited by TexasTom
  • Like 1