helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Michael Ehlers

DBS and recovery time

2 posts in this topic

Maybe this was assumed but not discussed much.

Dr Okun,

I had my stage 1 on 9/26, stage 2 on 10/3 and got initial programming 10/14.

But I had my scalp cut open and brain surgery performed. Maybe it's not the same as a tumor being removed, but won't there still be some serious healing going on?

The top of my help I cannot feel when I scratch it, I half about a 7 inch scar in front, and my skull still looks puffy.

Am I wrong or wasn't this very serious surgery that will drain our strengths and take some good amount of time? I got programmed Friday 10/14 and I had 3 anxiety episodes over the next 3 days. And yesterday  10/17 after 2:00 I was drained of energy and was starting to wonder if something was wrong with me.

Isn't this normal?

You read about all the good results but not much about the seriousness of the procedures.

Feeling more like a patient,

Mike

It can take several months for the trauma of the surgery to heal and to get back to a more normal existence following DBS surgery.  Some people bounce back quickly, but others need weeks to months.