helplinedonate
stump

Crashed, hard

So, Friday and Saturday I was hunting with my 12 year old.  We hunted pretty hard.  2 days and put in 10+ miles in pretty tough terrain.  Drove home at the end of the second day and slept really well that night.  Next day was church and then a recital for my oldest (same kid I took hunting).  

As we were going into the recital I realized I was already late for my mid-day dose of Sinemet.  I couldn't really sneak out easily so I figured I'd just deal with it and get my dose after the recital.  I could really feel it getting bad by the end of the recital, tremors were ramping up, and I just was not feeling well.  By the time I was able to go to the car to get the meds I was 2+ hours late, and my left leg was totally wooden (rest of my body save maybe to a smaller extent my left arm was fine and not tight or stiff at all).  I took my dose, and within 20 minutes I started to feel better, and the left leg started to loosen up a bit.  Took over an hour for the leg to feel mostly normal again.  Made the drive home but just started feeling ever more tired as we went.  

When we got home my 5 year old was feeling pretty tired.  He'd barely fallen asleep on the drive and resented being woken up when we got home.  We let him lay down on our bed as that would keep his siblings at bay.  My wife suggested that as tired as I was that I should take a rest and get some snuggle time in with the 5 year old.  That was about 4:30.  Around 8PM I kinda woke up, was tremoring and had DW bring my evening dose.  I fell back to sleep until 10:30ish when I got a little food, and then had to go back to bed.  Slept through until 7:40AM.

I haven't crashed like that since severe jet lag when I was 17 kept me up unable to sleep for 2.5 days.  But that was pure sleep deprivation.

I know I had been pretty physically active the previous 2 days, but I didn't feel THAT wiped out by that activity.  Heck, Saturday night I felt like I could have easily done another day of hard hiking/hunting the next day if schedules had allowed me to stay out the extra day.  When we got up on Sunday morning I felt reasonably rested, and it wasn't until that afternoon that I felt so totally wiped out.

Is this a common issue with PD, or is it just a consequence of otherwise normal life and approaching 40 years old?

Don't have any advice to offer regarding your crash as hubby is so new to the Parkinson journey. He does do something similar though. He has days at a time that he has to almost sleep around the clock. He doesn't have an appetite, if I insist he be social and sit in a chair, he does so with his eyes closed and drifts in and out of napping until he goes back to bed. Sometimes these episodes last five days or so. Suddenly, he will awake one morning and his eyes have a clearer look, and he will stay awake most of that day and then gradually over the next few days he returns to his normal patterns. I have checked his blood pressure, blood sugar, made 100% he has his meds on the dot, I have no clue what is going on. Is this common? 

Hope you are well today!

It is certainly not a 40 yr old thing. I had early signs of PD at (not yet treated) and didn't experience anything like that.  However, I can see that happening now. 

I do something similar.  

Keeping my dose on time, every time, really helps.  

In boxing class, the speed bag is a dead giveaway if meds are good or I'm slowly off. You hear the rythm isn't consistant and I just miss time things. Full meds, and I can keep the rythm for 90 seconds.

In the afternoon/early evening it is quite common for me to cat nap watching the news before dinner. Five minutes or 45 minutes, I am just out...

Back from the hospital with the "fiducials" placed in my head for "frameless DBS".  There are five pegs screwed into my head, so it looks like something from Shrek. Currently bandaged head, but DBS lead placement tomorrow.

I'm off meds, and don't feel too bad at the moment but hard time typing. Nothing planned for today, maybe time to watch Netflix with my Golden. Tried reading a book (City of Mirrors by Jason Cronin) for a little bit, but hard time focusing on it off meds (something I didn't expect).  Maybe I'll find some lassie reruns to watch.

I don't always know the reason for my crashes. I did learn to never leave home without my Sinemet. Timing is crucial, especially during times of physical and emotional stress.

Dianne

I do something similar.  

Keeping my dose on time, every time, really helps.  

In boxing class, the speed bag is a dead giveaway if meds are good or I'm slowly off. You hear the rythm isn't consistant and I just miss time things. Full meds, and I can keep the rythm for 90 seconds.

In the afternoon/early evening it is quite common for me to cat nap watching the news before dinner. Five minutes or 45 minutes, I am just out...

Back from the hospital with the "fiducials" placed in my head for "frameless DBS".  There are five pegs screwed into my head, so it looks like something from Shrek. Currently bandaged head, but DBS lead placement tomorrow.

I'm off meds, and don't feel too bad at the moment but hard time typing. Nothing planned for today, maybe time to watch Netflix with my Golden. Tried reading a book (City of Mirrors by Jason Cronin) for a little bit, but hard time focusing on it off meds (something I didn't expect).  Maybe I'll find some lassie reruns to watch.

Trying to picture Shrek! Yikes! Take care. I have been enjoying Netflix Luke Cage.

I don't always know the reason for my crashes. I did learn to never leave home without my Sinemet. Timing is crucial, especially during times of physical and emotional stress.

Dianne

I immediately know when my dose has expired.  Things start happening fairly quick.  I am not sure what one day without would do to me.