helplinedonate
Hunter Dan

Heart

I was wondering the other day , PD effects the muscles ( rigidity ,cramping ,slowness of movement, etc ) . I have been trying to do some research but the search engine always takes me in a wacky direction . I have been wondering about how PD effects the Heart ? As it is a rather important muscle . Does anyone possibly know or know where to get more information . I know there is the ask the doc , and trying to find past posts (which I seem to have trouble with ) . But I don't recall seeing any posts on it . With the summer we had here in NY I didn't spend a lot of time on the forum .

Thanks ,

Dan

I once read a pathology paper from japan. They counted post mortem the neuronal postganglionic cells in the left heart wall. Pd people had a vast amount of fewer cells than age matched healthy ones. This shows that not only the central nervous system is affected but also the periphersl one. Year 2011 cant remember the author.

Parkinson's Disease Is More Than a Brain Disorder -- from 2000 http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_events/news_articles/pressrelease_parkinson_090400.htm

There are some other papers I spotted describing a risk between DA's and Heart Problems.  These seem to point out age is the biggest issue.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22123498

Among non-ergot dopamine agonists, we observed a statistically significant association between pramipexole use and heart failure, especially during the first months of therapy and in very old patients.

I believe one must make a distinction between autonomic functions (like eye blinking, swallowing, breathing and heart rate, etc, and willed movment where one decides to 'bust a move' :-P,  for instance when you decide to pick up an object or arise from a chair.  Call that 'willed movement'. 

I recall seeing a video of Mohammad Ali incapable of moving his arms until someone threw a ball at his face and then his hand snapped up with lightening speed - in automatic reflex.

• Like 1

I once read a pathology paper from japan. They counted post mortem the neuronal postganglionic cells in the left heart wall. Pd people had a vast amount of fewer cells than age matched healthy ones. This shows that not only the central nervous system is affected but also the periphersl one. Year 2011 cant remember the author.

Re: the peripheral nervous system, I mentioned to my MDS that I had read where the amyloid from PD can also cover our peripheral nerves and wondered if he would confirm that.  He confirmed the information.  I wonder if that is one reason many of us suffer from the heat so much.

• Like 1

I seen my Neurologist / MDS today 22 feb 2017 and asked him if PD effected the heart as it does the other muscles in the body ( stiffness ,rigidity , tremor etc ) . What he said is that the heart is an involuntary  striated muscle which unlike a skeletal muscle is not effected by PD as is the skeletal muscle . He said people with PD are no more at risk  to heart attacks or heart disease than the rest of the population . He explained it a lot more but I didn't tape the conversation so don't remember all the specifics . Just thought I'd pass it on . He also asked why I asked and said none of his patients in all the years have ever asked , I told him I was just curious as the heart is a muscle and I am still in the learning stage of the whole PD thing !

Dan 

• Like 2