helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
MusicMan

Amazing video results of medical marijuana

A PWP experiences the results of medical marijuana for the first time. One drop of (apparently cannabis oil under the tongue) seems to do the trick...

https://video.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/15246251_1224676637571231_7241585757528260608_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&oh=1ed6d691dbc2f2818313cafbbd763336&oe=584301D9

Thanks Music Man

I'm completely amazed on how MM works....

This was so fast, why would we not use it when it's time?????

I'm going to, definitely....if it's soothes our symptoms then I say go for it...

D

Someone sent me this same video a few days ago and I watched it.  Here's my limited understanding of what I think I saw.  Larry is suffering from extreme dyskinesia because he is on 20 pills a day.  He's already had DBS so that's not an option.  Marijuana is a depressant-it slows down the neuronal activity so that's my best guess at what is happening.  It probably also reduced his stress.  The limited medical marijuana research that has been posted has very mixed results-some people benefit, others don't.  I wonder how long the medical marijuana dosage lasts-  It looks like he's really in extreme distress so it's hopefully a therapy that will help him.  Other Alzheimer's research has demonstrated that marijuana is not good for Alzheimer's-it slows the blood flow to the brain and especially the hippocampus which is where our short term memory is stored and why Alzheimer's patients can't remember something they've just done.  

I just now noticed the full three part video of Larry's journey is on the "Medical Marijuana" thread...gives full story..

D

Here's my take...

I will try any treatment that comes down the pike, be it MM or stem cell therapy or DBS, when I feel I need more help than I'm getting from the usual sinemet/azilect. Iff MM doesn't work as advertised for me, then I'll move on.

But for those who say they'll never try it, well....your choice, but there certainly seems to be enough positive support to at least give it a shot.

I agree. I posted these videos in the medical marijuana topic a few days ago. I'm glad to see others are becoming aware that this is a viable treatment option. Although I'm not as advanced in my progression as Larry I have experienced similar results. Spread the word.

• Like 1

Alzheimer's research has demonstrated that marijuana is not good for Alzheimer's-it slows the blood flow to the brain and especially the hippocampus which is where our short term memory is stored and why Alzheimer's patients can't remember something they've just done.  

You've got it all wrong there... please show the tests.

http://www.alzheimers.net/6-15-15-effects-of-medical-marijuana-on-alzheimers/

Alzheimer’s Prevention

preclinical study published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease found that very small doses of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a chemical found in marijuana, can slow the production of beta-amyloid proteins, thought to be a hallmark characteristic and key contributor to the progression of Alzheimer’s.

The study, published in 2014, is among others to support the effectiveness of THC in prohibiting the growth of toxic amyloid plagues.

Co-author of the study, Neel Nabar, cautions against drawing quick conclusions from their study saying:

Another study from the Salk Institute in La Jolla, California has also found that tetrahydrocannabinol and other compounds found in marijuana may reduce the amount of beta amyloid in the brain. Beta amyloid is a hallmark characteristic of Alzheimer’s and is commonly thought to cause the neurodegenerative disease.

“It’s important to keep in mind that just because a drug may be effective doesn’t mean it can be safely used by anyone. However, these findings may lead to the development of related compounds that are safe, legal, and useful in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.”

While the findings are preliminary, researchers are optimistic about their findings. David Schubert, professor at the Salk Institute and senior author on the study says, “Although other studies have offered evidence that cannabinoids might be neuroprotective against the symptoms of Alzheimer’s, we believe our study is the first to demonstrate that cannabinoids affect both inflammation and amyloid beta accumulation in nerve cells.”

In the study, researchers found that by exposing beta amyloid proteins to THC, it reduced the levels of beta amyloid, stopped the inflammatory response from the nerve cells caused by beta amyloid and allowed the nerve sells to survive. Antonio Currais, a postdoctoral researcher and first author on the paper noted:

“Inflammation within the brain is a major component of the damage associated with Alzheimer’s disease, but it has always been assumed that this response was coming from immune-like cells in the brain, not the nerve cells themselves. When we were able to identify the molecular basis of the inflammatory response to amyloid beta, it became clear that THC-like compounds that the nerve cells make themselves may be involved in protecting the cells from dying.”

Researchers caution that their findings were conducted in a laboratory model and that further research needs to be done in a clinical trial before any conclusive evidence can be produced.

Using Medical Marijuana to Treat Dementia

While researchers have seen some success in using medical marijuana to fight the formation of beta amyloid plaques, studies are showing differing results in using it to treat the disease.

A research team from Radboud University Medical Center in Nijmegen, Netherlands, recently investigated the effects of medical marijuana on symptoms of dementia including aggression, anxiety, depression, insomnia and hallucinations, and did not see a statistically significance difference when using medical marijuana to treat symptoms associated with the disease.

The team divided their 50 participants into two groups with one group receiving 1.5 mg of medical marijuana pills and the other receiving a placebo pill. Participants took the pill three times a day for three weeks. After comparing the behavioral symptoms of both groups, researchers found there was no difference in the two groups.

Contrarily, a recent study published in The Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease has concluded that cannabis extract containing THC can relieve these symptoms of Alzheimer’s.

Researchers from the Abarbanel Mental Health Center and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine at Tel-Aviv University along with the Department of Psychology at Bar-Ilan University conducted the study, which was one of the first clinical studies observing the effects of cannabis on Alzheimer’s.

The study observed the effects of medical marijuana on 11 people living with Alzheimer’s over the course of 4 weeks. 10 participants finished the trial. Despite the small size of the study, researchers concluded that:

“Adding medical cannabis oil to Alzheimer’s patients’ 
pharmacotherapy
 is a safe and promising treatment option.”

• Like 2

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/314407.php

Here's the article from Medical News Today.  The title of the article is "Could Marijuana Use Increase Vulnerability to Alzheimer's?"  It's a synopsis of an article in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease,  same journal in your article but this is very recent research and the article in MNT was dated November 29, 2016.  

I cut and pasted the following quote in the article:

"Our research has proven that marijuana users have lower cerebral blood flow than nonusers. Second, the most predictive region separating these two groups is low blood flow in the hippocampus on concentration brain SPECT imaging. This work suggests that marijuana use has damaging influences in the brain - particularly regions important in memory and learning and known to be affected by Alzheimer's."

I hope marijuana can be a helpful therapy for Parkinson's and I suspect like everything with Parkinson's, it will have a very individual response.  I'm glad Larry was able to get some relief from his severe dyskinesia and probably a significant reduction in stress.  It was painful to watch his dyskinesia.   However, like all medications marijuana seems to have some serious downsides.  I am concerned about the reduced blood flow to the brain since neurons depend on the the blood vessels to provide all the necessary biochemical resources to keep the neurons alive and functioning.  If blood flow is reduced to the dopamine neurons that can't be a good outcome for Parkinson's patients.   I'm guessing it's going to be a trade off.  

Edited by carruthers209

My two cents on this drug is caution.Years ago I was almost killed by a strung out pothead.I also wonder about addiction as this drug can cause this.Just go around inner cities you'll find a lot of drug houses who specialize on pot.

If it can give relief safely without addiction should be the question.

As far as stress relief goes I have found learning how to command your thoughts will give you the best outcome.

Happy Holidays

john

In my many months of using medical marijuana, I have seen absolutely no hint of addiction or even desire for MM. Quite the contrary, when my wife sees my tremor, she asks if I've taken my medicine (medical marijuana). Also, I don't experience any "high" and am certainly never "strung out".

I'm wondering who is paying for the "research" that is bashing MM. Could it be big pharma that is threatened by medical marijuana, which is superior to the drugs sold by big pharma? Could it be the federal government that has created an entire industry by criminalizing MM?

Edited by PatriotM
  • Like 4

I don't get this talk about "addiction"?? We will be "addicted" to sinemet, or our DBS unit, or any other therapy to continuously treat our PD. What's the issue with one more drug anyway (if it's even true)???

• Like 1

Anyone having trouble pulling up the video with the link MM provided? I get a message that basically says that the

website is declining access.

A PWP experiences the results of medical marijuana for the first time. One drop of (apparently cannabis oil under the tongue) seems to do the trick...

https://video.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/15246251_1224676637571231_7241585757528260608_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&oh=1ed6d691dbc2f2818313cafbbd763336&oe=584301D9

Is that CBD oil he's using?

I've found CBD oil (no THC) to be a much better alternative than normal MJ in treating Parkinson's symptoms. All of the benefits without any of the undesired side effects. Lot cheaper too.

Edited by afroney

I started MM one month ago and it helped me sleeping, cutting down on rigidity. But, I soon realized that I felt better using it during the day too. After about one week, I concluded that some dependence had developed. When I did not use my tremors were worse that before starting MM. I am going to start again and be more observant of my symptoms and not use it every day just to see. My neurologist was not surprised and stated that the shakes the next day is similar to when one takes a few too many drinks the night before. Any thoughts?

I've found CBD oil (no THC) to be a much better alternative than normal MJ in treating Parkinson's symptoms. All of the benefits without any of the undesired side effects. Lot cheaper too.

I saw on his Facebook page that it was CBD.

My neurologist was not surprised and stated that the shakes the next day is similar to when one takes a few too many drinks the night before. Any thoughts?

I sorta have my doubts on this conclusion of his. Unless he has some research data to back that claim up, I'm thinking he pulled that out of his hat.

Where are you able to get your MM....I don't have any access to it yet in Florida, even tho it's now been legalized.

Better than Klonopin !!?    :-P

• Like 1

While investigating possible locations to obtain recreational marijuana in nearby Colorado, I discovered that the CBD oil I was interested in was available for mail order to every state. I didn't realize that was an option!!

As long as the oil is hemp based (no THC), it is legal to ship to my state. Yes, it's hemp vs canabis and I was sceptical until I saw that Charolette's Web was listed as one of the strains available.

I ordered a bottle.

I'm curious to see the effects of 100% CBD on me. In the past I have always tested hybrids of THC & CBD.

While investigating possible locations to obtain recreational marijuana in nearby Colorado, I discovered that the CBD oil I was interested in was available for mail order to every state. I didn't realize that was an option!!

As long as the oil is hemp based (no THC), it is legal to ship to my state. Yes, it's hemp vs canabis and I was sceptical until I saw that Charolette's Web was listed as one of the strains available.

I ordered a bottle.

I'm curious to see the effects of 100% CBD on me. In the past I have always tested hybrids of THC & CBD.[/quote

May i enquire to the brand and size and type of the container the size of the dose and method of consumption. Thank you.

I spoke with the son of a friend today about CBD oil. He used to own a medical marijuana store but had to close it when marijuana was legalized in WA state. He suggested purchasing a 3:1 honey-based (as opposed to alcohol-based) CBD oil. He didn't mention that there is one that is THC free. Can someone clarify this for me?

Dianne

I ordered a bottle.

I'm curious to see the effects of 100% CBD on me. In the past I have always tested hybrids of THC & CBD.[/quote

May i enquire to the brand and size and type of the container the size of the dose and method of consumption. Thank you.

Mary's Nutritional is the web site I came across. Here is a link to the product I am waiting for.

http://www.marysnutritionals.com/CBD-Remedy-Oil-p/rem.htm

Here is a short video found on the product page

https://youtu.be/gt7PjCpHhoE

Edited by wilsons66604