helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Ospy

Sleepless on Amantadine

Ospy    6

Hi guys. Reminder: I'm 54 - was diagnosed PD in my early 30's -

I have had amantadine prescribed to me on a few occasions over the last 20 plus years. I never stayed on it long because I couldn't see any value in it. It never seemed to do anything. Hell! I wasn't really sure what it was supposed to do!

Recently had a Dr appointment. Was telling him about my struggles with freezing. This is a symptom I've only started getting over the last couple years. And it's getting worse. My Dr said Amantadine helps this. So I decided I again would try it. At least this time I have a way to measure whether it's doing what it's intended. Oh my god! I am so impressed! I haven't had a freeze in 3 weeks. Blows my mind.

However, since starting on Amantadine, I have had real trouble sleeping. It is a huge problem. Go to sleep at 10:00. Sleep hard. By 1:00 AM I'm wide awake. Ugh. Does anyone else here have this problem? More importantly, have you any solution or suggestions? Thanks.

MIMILASTER    79

I’ve known this problem for years and only recently did I find a possible way-out.  I used to put the blame on Requip, and although I also  take Amantadine,  the idea is to solve the problem whatever  the culprit.

I was offered a treatment based on both the Stimulus control therapy  and the Sleep restriction therapy .  “ The main goal in Stimulus control therapy is to reduce the anxiety or conditioned arousal individuals may feel when attempting to go to bed. Specifically, a set of instructions designed to reassociate the bed/bedroom with sleep and to re-establish a consistent sleep schedule are implemented. These include: 1) Going to bed only when sleepy; 2) Getting out of bed when unable to sleep; 3) Using the bed/bedroom only for sleep and sex (i.e., no reading, watching TV, etc); 4) Arising at the same time every morning; and 5) Avoiding naps.”

The goal of the Sleep restriction therapy is to improve quality of sleep by forcing the patient’s sleep into a predetermined window, with bed time and wake-up time being the same every day including week-ends. This sleep pressure will favor a deeper and uninterrupted sleep.

It is very difficult to fight drowsiness and the urge to sleep at 10 pm while your window for falling asleep has been set between midnight – 2 am   but I have already seen positive results in only two weeks : I manage to sleep 4 hours and 30 minutes of uninterrupted sleep whereas I could previously only sleep no more than 2 hours  in one shot.

If you google Stimulus control therapy and Sleep restriction therapy, you will find lots of references which will provide you with better , more professional explanations.  You  don’t need a doctor to apply these methods based on very simple principles, although being coached is certainly a bonus !

Good Luck to you

Mireille

Edited by MIMILASTER
  • Like 2

MurrayPD2    219

I had the same pattern.  Fall asleep for 3 hours, wake up, try to get back to sleep, 2 hours later go to sleep, then wake up feeling very tired. 

I got out of the pattern around the time I treated my sleep apnea, but I also used some stress relieving herbs and avoided taking Amantadine too late in the day. All those changes helped me a lot.

• Like 1

lethe    199

For at least 10 years I was sleeping no more than 3 hours a night. Medical marijuana would  give me  another 90 minutes to 2 hours.

But after about 1 year of tai chi I started sleeping 7 hours!!

• Like 2

Linda Garren    734

I use only Sinemet for my PD.  Many other meds for various things.  Have been having problems sleeping through the night and being so tired during the days that I haven't been able to accomplish much.

I've found that if I eat about a cup of organic yogurt when I wake up, for some reason I can then sleep much longer.  I know that our gut affects our brain, so I wonder if perhaps the probiotics in the yogurt are what is helping.  I don't know, but I am impressed.  Even using meds and supplements to help me sleep doesn't do much to help, and finding something natural like this makes me pretty happy.  :-)

• Like 2

great question for which i have no answer.  i tried amantadine for just 2 days, lost my appetite and had insomnia something terrible so stopped at 100mg.  based on the benefit you got for freezing i may try amantadine again, but geez, it was a terrible experience when i tried it.

• Like 1

New normal    1,273

Amantadine made me manic and sleepless. I eventually got auditory hallucinations. I quit Amantidine and all came normal.

I take 450 mg valerian root, 1 mg melatonin, 10 mg alprazolam at night and sleep 7-8 hours.

However, for me, it is important to take meds exactly same time or bio rhythms get messed,up and I am not successful.

Good luck.

NN

• Like 2

swva    81

My wife has been on Amantadine for 20 years for MS. Never seemed to affect her sleep. One good side effect is that she rarely gets sick, but she does have some of the splotches on her skin that it can cause.

• Like 1

I had the same problem. I was prescribed 100 mg 3 times/day for gait issues. At that point I was already on Neupro 4 mg & pramipexole 1 mg 3 times/day. Amantadine helped the gait issues, but I would sleep 3-4 hours, then be wide awake for 2-3 hours. I'd wake up exhausted. So MDS said to take it at 4 PM, which only helped a little, so we cut out midday dose. Also weaned off pramipexole & added Selegiline 5 mg twice/day & Rytary 23.75 mg/95 mg 3 times/day. This improved insomnia a little more.

What helps the most is marijuana. I've found that edibles or tea is the most effective, but smoking/vaping is better than none at all. I've also noticed that I'm not as stiff/sore when I wake up. In addition, regular mj use alleviates the previously almost constant pain in my left arm, which nothing else I've taken so far seems to do.

I hope you can find some relief soon. Good luck!

• Like 1