helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quietstill

Stress? Does it cause/effect MCI?

4 posts in this topic

Here's a question: Does the brain itself cut off information if the brain recognizes it will increase stress?

I've often wondered about PD and the almost willful disregarding of stressful information.  In my experience, upsetting information often doesn't register with PwP.  Could this be the brain's way of protecting itself?  Last week I had an extremely nasty medical test.  Twelve needles, and bruises.  Now I await results.  The pertinent facts here are the test was set up a month ago, had to be done in a hospital.  We cleared our schedule, I wrote it on the calendar that is checked every day for appointments appointments, activities, and therapies.  The night before the test I was quiet, DH seemed quiet also, so I told him not to worry, we'd just get through the procedure tomorrow, and things would go back to normal.  He panicked.  He knew nothing about any test, procedure, or plans for the following day.  We discussed it again, and went the next day for the test.  Now he can't understand why I am reluctant to leave the phone.

Cool beans.  At least he isn't worried or anxious.....

Is this common?  Upsetting information doesn't register.

Before dementia my mom avoided conflicts and bad news like the plague.  Stress builds and could cause your brain to block it out or subconsciously anyways I think.   Haven't you often heard of people remembering only good things that have happened and wipe out the rest from their memory?   Our brains are so individualized and can contain only so much information before it's overloaded..  My cousin died of cancer about 4 years ago.  Each time I mentioned it to my mom she acted like she was hearing it for the first time until she couldn't even remember who I was talking about anymore.   It happens.

Possibly denial on our end is causing this to be so stressful for us the caregivers.  We often have to let go of the past and know our loved ones are not the same people anymore.  There is no more  " but why can't you just.." 

Edited by miracleseeker

I've got Dementia with Lewy Bodies and early onset Alzheimer's. I've been visiting the other Board to get info on medicines and such because the movement and Parkinson stuff is starting to enter my picture. Anyway, I can say that stress and conflict of any kind makes me go totally crazy since I've come down with this. I lived and thrived on stress and conflict throughout my career, so it's not like I've always been bothered by it. I do everything I can to arrange my life to avoid all sources of stress and conflict, as they can cause explosive results with my behavior sometimes. Just thought I would say.

My husband just doesn't deal with anything anymore. He is so removed from stress, household decisions, family issues and concerns, doesn't matter what it it! He was never like this before. He does have vascular dementia, perhaps that is to blame for it as well. He will give me advice when asked, and it is still revelant, but it of no matter to him what I do with the decision. I just go on dealing with it all to the best of my ability, what else can we do?