helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Natalie

Balance

13 posts in this topic

I am in my 40's and was diagnosed 10 years ago, up to now, I have been able to keep my tremor and symptoms under control with pramipexole and exercise. Lately though my balance is terrible. Does anyone have suggestions as to what helps them. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Natalie

one thing they showed me at PT was to try standing with one foot in front of other...heel to toe and put your arms out...please make sure you're standing next to some thing....I use the bed and keep 1 finger touching just in case...alternate legs...once you get comfortable try closing your eyes...that's the hard part....good luck

patricia

I am in my 40's and was diagnosed 10 years ago, up to now, I have been able to keep my tremor and symptoms under control with pramipexole and exercise. Lately though my balance is terrible. Does anyone have suggestions as to what helps them. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Natalie

tai chi......

Ask your doctor about LSVT Big Therapy.  It's been very beneficial for me.

Dave

PT was extremely beneficial for restoring some of my lost balance.

I walk with a cane as well bit embarrassing, but better than falls and broken bones.

I am responding to Island Woman's balance test. I just tried it. I can barely put one foot in front of the other heel to toe without falling off quickly to one side. As for putting my arms out, no way to do it under control, but they do flail around when I'm off balance. As for closing my eyes and trying, that would be a death wish. I assume this means my balance isn't too good for someone 66 years old. I have Dementia with Lewy Bodies, but now take Sinemet for the Parkinson stuff that comes with the DLB. I'm starting the therapy thing called BIG in a couple weeks. I've been through the intro class, and they only had me do a real easy balance test that I did poorly on, but didn't fall. I didn't realize how bad this balance thing has gotten. Good luck to us all.

Oh, I guess I probably don't qualify to post on the Younger Onset. With early onset Alzheimer's, which I also have, you rate as younger if you are less than 65 when the symptoms started.

Oh, I guess I probably don't qualify to post on the Younger Onset. With early onset Alzheimer's, which I also have, you rate as younger if you are less than 65 when the symptoms started.

Don't worry about not being "young onset".  If you feel like you have something to contribute, do so!

It's all good.

I'm lucky to not have any balance issues at this point but I do Feldenkrais classes that really help my other symptoms and I know that also can really help with balance.  I also do a circus class for folks with PD - we walk on the tightrope and do a lot of trampoline work - very good for balance!  Although I imagine not available a lot of places:-)

best wishes.

Lena

You can also find a certified therapist or instructor for the PWR4life program. It was developed by the PT who developed the LSVT program. Where are you located?

Look up Parkinson wellness recovery on YouTube- lots of good videos- it's a lot of cardio,circuit & neuroplasticity exercises

Edited by LAD

I do the Rock Steady Boxing program.

LVST BIG was great, but after a few months I wasn't doing the homework. 

To get an idea what we are doing in Rock Steady Boxing - Austin, take a look at their instagram.  Every workout is different, coach is working with a bunch of trainers & PT to get idea's how to mix things up. One thing we do is most of use are in socks (MMA use gym, so keep your street shoes off the gym floor). I wore 'ankle boots' as my ankles were so weak.  Standing on that blue BOSU ball is hard, but make you use ankle muscles!  I'm doing much better now than two years ago!

Marcia and her husband were in town, and sat in one of our classes.  I did tell her this was the "level one" fighters, but pretty active group. Rock Steady Boxing around the country varies (I've heard back some -- some locations just suck as they do the same thing every workout. Boring!)

https://www.instagram.com/rocksteadyaustin/?hl=en

1 person likes this