helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Gardener

Strange sensations

Dr. Okun,

I'm 5 plus years from dx and take only Sinemet and Levothyroxin.  For the past year or so I've been experiencing a strange sensation that occurs on and off throughout my waking hours.  It is similar to a chill that waves through my body but there is no shivering or goose bumps.  It usually starts at the top of my body and moves downward but sometimes I feel it intensely on one side only.  One episode lasts no longer than 15 seconds but I can have multiple episodes within a couple of minutes.  Have you encountered this and if so do you know the cause?  Thank you.  Gardener

This is very uncommon in Parkinson.  Sometimes it can be wearing off and autonomic issues and in this case moving doses closer together may be helpful.  Since it is so uncommon it may warrant a neurological examination, imaging and consideration of possible seizures.  Hard to tell online, but good luck sorting it out.

Thank you, Dr. Okun for the valuable service you provide to all of us.  For those who can, please make a donation.  Gardener

Dr. Okun,

It's been over a year since I asked about these chill sensations.  They have increased since then so I started taking my temperature when they are occurring and discovered that my body temperature is registering between 95 -96.2.    Can I assume that my body temperature is causing the chills and, if so, would PD cause fluctuations in body temperature?

Thank you for your time - I get so much information from your forum.

Gardener

PD can cause autonomic fluctuations.  This can affect temperature. Sometimes smoothing on-off fluctuations with meds, intervals or other methods (pump, DBS, etc.) will help these issues.