helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

I was heading to the car to go to church this morning.  We got a bit of snow about a week ago, maybe 3".  It stayed below freezing for the most part until today, so even without any new accumulation it had actually stuck around.  Anyway, I had a travel mug (no lid) full of hot tea.  I had poured the boiling water on it maybe 2 minutes previously, if that long.  Almost got to the car and stepped on an icy spot.  I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of the following half second, but the end result was I fell, hard.  Primary impact points were my right knee and elbow.  Remember that mug of tea?  That went pretty much entirely into my face scalding the heck out of my forehead.  

Took a minute or so to get back up.  Had to just sit for a bit.  Been taking plenty of Advil since then.  Didn't bother trying to stand during the songs at the service.  Managed to get DW to drive home (I still drove to church), and wound up sort of napping a good bit of the way home.  Been moving slow most of the day.  Nothing is broken, or anything worse than bruised.  I have an appointment with my MDS tomorrow, and if I can work it in I'll go to a really good chiropractor that's in the same general area since I'll be down there anyway.

Now, I'm as mentioned I'm still trying to work out the mechanics of the fall.  But here's what I think happened.  Because I landed on my right side leg and arm and ended up on my hands and knees, and with the hot tea hitting me in the face I think my right foot hit the slick spot.  In an attempt to save the situation I tried to pitch forward to keep my body over the right foot.  But my left leg didn't (or couldn't) respond fast enough to get back under me and down I went.  

I'm not sure that I would have been able to stay upright without PD.  But it is my left side that is more affected, so it's possible that without the bradykinesia on that side it might have made a difference.

Point being, even if you're not especially advanced in your PD be extra cautious with potentially icy conditions this winter.  I didn't think it was that bad, and the majority of my driveway wasn't that bad, but spots obviously were and I wasn't careful enough.

I was told it is not a matter of if we will fall, but when and how hard. You are fortunate that nothing broke. It is sure a shock to your system when you do fall. That could explain the need for more rest this afternoon.

Take good care, Stump.

Dianne

Managed to get in touch with the Chiropractor.  My MDS appointment is at 9AM, and the chiro opens at 8AM.  I'll plan to be there by the time they open and hopefully they'll get me right in.  Sneezed a couple times just now.  Man, that made my back hurt.

But yes, it was rather a shock.  Though honestly, I think the face full of scalding tea was about the most insulting part of it all.

Edited by stump

Sounds like you are hurting, sorry to hear of your mishap, the hurt from the fall is bad enough, but a tea scalding is the not so nice icing on the cake.

I must correct you, you did not really use a "travel mug," a "travel mug" has a lid on top...make sure you have that lid in place next time! A burn is an awful thing to experience.

Sounds like you are hurting, sorry to hear of your mishap, the hurt from the fall is bad enough, but a tea scalding is the not so nice icing on the cake.

I must correct you, you did not really use a "travel mug," a "travel mug" has a lid on top...make sure you have that lid in place next time! A burn is an awful thing to experience.

It had a lid.  Many moon ago.  Couldn't begin to tell you where it is now.

I'll likely be shopping for new mug soon.  

One our coaches in my Rock Steady Boxing class has us practice how to fall!  I really thought I wouldn't have time to react, but in reality when you fall you have a lot of time to roll to your side, arms in, chin to your chest.   As you land on the most area possible of your body, then bring your arm out to prevent rolling, it helps to practice on a soft mat.

Our 85# foster puppy pulled me over at the vets off, spinning me 180 as I went down.  Amazed I didn't break anything and still rolled to my side. Hands in to prevent wrist or collar bone breakage. Tuck chin against chest to keep your head from hitting.

I no longer get on ladders, but hardest part to remember is if the ladder falls over... hang on and go for the ride. You'll will do more damage by jumping off and landing, then riding the ladder as it falls over. Seems counter intuitive, but one I will pass on practicing!

Oh, been having fun in the shop doing a little wood working. I'm now convinced I can not afford to buy a SawStop table saw (stops instantly when it contacts your finger!).  I'm doing pretty well, but table saws, hand, falls... not a good combo!

Hope your doing better, but ouch.  Thankfully no ice here, but the other morning was 18F. I can not move when it is that cold, hence my furry walker to help me keep my balance on cold mornings.

• Like 2

This could have happened to anyone with PD or not.  It was an accident but you probably wasn't able to catch yourself better because of the PD.  I bet you were scared more than anything.  Take care.

• Like 2

One our coaches in my Rock Steady Boxing class has us practice how to fall!  I really thought I wouldn't have time to react, but in reality when you fall you have a lot of time to roll to your side, arms in, chin to your chest.   As you land on the most area possible of your body, then bring your arm out to prevent rolling, it helps to practice on a soft mat.

Our 85# foster puppy pulled me over at the vets off, spinning me 180 as I went down.  Amazed I didn't break anything and still rolled to my side. Hands in to prevent wrist or collar bone breakage. Tuck chin against chest to keep your head from hitting.

I no longer get on ladders, but hardest part to remember is if the ladder falls over... hang on and go for the ride. You'll will do more damage by jumping off and landing, then riding the ladder as it falls over. Seems counter intuitive, but one I will pass on practicing!

Oh, been having fun in the shop doing a little wood working. I'm now convinced I can not afford to buy a SawStop table saw (stops instantly when it contacts your finger!).  I'm doing pretty well, but table saws, hand, falls... not a good combo!

Hope your doing better, but ouch.  Thankfully no ice here, but the other morning was 18F. I can not move when it is that cold, hence my furry walker to help me keep my balance on cold mornings

Thanks for the tips re: falling, Tom.  Very, very helpful.

• Like 1

So, MDS said it was a "recordable" fall.  Nurse seemed to think not, but now I've got a fall on my ... permanent record (said in the voice of the scary middle school vice principal).    :twisted:

Beyond that, she's having me go for a neuropsychology evaluation. Partly to set a baseline for future comparisons, partly due to my wife's concerns.

She's also having me try out Rytary.  The hope is that it will alleviate my serious daytime sleepiness issues.  I've enough samples to almost get through 3 weeks.  Hopefully that will be long enough to tell if I can tolerate it before I have to spend money on it.  After the Azilect trial I'm a little sensitive to that issue, and am thankful that I did realize the need to stop taking that before paying for any.

Edited by stump

It will be interesting to see how you do on Rytary.  I think it's such a hit or miss drug for people.  Either you hit the jackpot or play the waiting game while you go through all the side effects that comes your way and hopefully you can wait it out and finally find the right dosage that works better than anything else you have tried. I gave up after 2 days for my mom but maybe it will be the right drug for you.  Good luck!

Started on the Rytary last night. So far so good, but only 2 doses in so judgement is being reserved.

Doc said for me at least 1 Rytary 95 was essentially equivalent to half of a 25/100 Sinemet. Which would make my schedule 3-2-3 for Rutary in place of 1.5-1-1.5 of the standard C/L. She did say to start out at 2-2-2. I'll likely stick with that 2-2-2 schedule until I feel I need more, even if that is much longer than the few days recommended. No reason to take more than required.

I hope you're feeling better!!

Two comments. I also go to Rock Steady Boxing and we practice falling also. I was playing tennis last week when my body decided to go for a ball and my feet didn't get the message. I tossed my racquet, put my right arm on the ground, then right knee, rolled over then left knee and pushed myself back to standing with my left arm. My opponents said it was the most graceful fall they had seen on the tennis court. Practice makes perfect!! I skinned my left knee was all and finished the match.

Rytary- you really need to be prepared to give it 2 months. When it's good it's good! When it was bad-nausea, vomiting, passing out from extreme blood pressure changes from moving from laying to sitting to standing. My blood pressure could go from 110/65 to 70/44 when I would stand, panic attacks- it was really bad. After about 2 months the bad things disappeared.

The only thing I do a little different is if I take a dose and it doesn't work within the first 45 minutes that dose usually wouldn't work at all. Now at that 45 minute mark I take 1/2 of a 25/100 sinemet and it "rescues" the rytary. The 1/2 sinemet usually gets me 'on' within 15 minutes. I've been taking rytary since July 2015. I take the 95's 3@7:30am. 3@11:30am. 3@4:30. I've adjusted the timing but I've been on this same dose the whole time.

Glad you weren't hurt more than what you said. Any hot liquid to the face had to hurt! Hope the chiropractor helped. It's pretty interesting what they can do.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts.  Other than a little lingering soreness in my knee and elbow that took the brunt of the impact I'm pretty much back to normal.  I think there's a chance my forehead may peel similar to when you get a sunburn, but at least it doesn't hurt anymore.  And the chiropractor made a massive difference.  He said I was pretty jammed up.  I just wish I had the time to get back to him one more time this week.

On the Rytary front, so far still so good.  Still only been 2 days, so can't draw firm conclusions yet, but I am not dealing with any nausea or other side effects.  MDS said 2 days and then up to the 3-2-3 schedule, but I think I'll stick with 2-2-2 for now and see how it goes.  I've got a little tightness beyond what I'm used to, but we'll see what happens over the next week.

• Like 2

Hey Stump, how you holding up? I got stuck on stairs last month at key arena.. fell and wife and another person caught me before I face planted. See MDS on Feb 10th.. I don't want to tell her lol.. wife wil though...????.. I swear I told my feet to step down and upper body said go and feet said zzzzzzz

Edited by djack1012
  • Like 1

Forehead did peel. I still have a slight remnant of a bruise on my knee. Otherwise I'm basically fully healed. No additional falls since, and luckily I don't suffer from freezing episodes. If that starts then I'd expect more falls to occur.

Definitely tell your doc. They hear about it all the time, so you shouldn't feel embarrassed. I don't know what they can do about it, but at a minimum getting it documented will help if you need to file for disability in the future.

• Like 1