helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
genden69

Preventing pressure sores

4 posts in this topic

Anyone have recommendations for pads, mattress toppers, etc to prevent pressure sores/bed sores. My DH is now totally bedridden and I want to be ahead of the curve on this issue. I read that he should be turned every two hours. This is not possible for me. I need sleep in order to function. Also, what is the best washable underpad? Any other tips for caring for a totally bedridden patient would be appreciated.

Is your husband eligible for palliative care?  Being bedridden is a large challenge and you will need help to keep him from deteriorating if possible.  There should be some skilled nursing help available to give you guidance and recommendations for what he needs.  If you can get a rented hospital bed for him you might find it very beneficial in needing to turn him and diapering him.  We paid $23 a month to rent the hospital bed via Kaiser's palliative care program.  It allowed him to watch TV because we could raise his head with the hospital bed adjustment.  We also bought an air pad with holes in it to help prevent bedsores on the nurses advice. I didn't think my dad would like it but he said it was fine.  He had Alzheimer's so his powers of reasoning were limited.  There is a lift called a Hoyer lift that might help you if you need to get him out of bed.  Your medical group would hopefully provide in-home visits. There are transportation services that can provide a full bed gurney to move him from home to hospital and vice verse if it's not an emergency case-you'll probably have to pay for it but sometimes you just need these transportation options.  Again, try to get signed up for palliative care-it's not hospice but similar and can provide in-home skilled nursing help, possible physical therapy, occupational therapy, inhome bathing services, etc.  I've tried Safeway online grocery delivery services to my home and I found it excellent.  The groceries were delivered to our home for about a $10 to $12 per visit cost-which was a reasonable charge.  I could order everything on line from the grocery store and the groceries were bought to our home and brought into the kitchen.  The selection was excellent-the ice cream bars and popsicles were still frozen.  I also tried Amazon Prime Fresh Choice but it wasn't as good as Safeway.  Best wishes to you and I am so sorry that your husband is bedridden.  It's so hard to watch the loss of independence and your world shrink as your husband's needs grow.  Counseling might also be available-it's good to have someone to talk to and help you process your grief.  And it is grief-I'm so sorry.

There are also beds now that will rotate and shift to prevent bedsores, you would probably need a prescription to get one unless you have a lot of money. An idea anyway.

Coach T

I first ran into pressure sores during an extended stay in the hospital. Their beds really were terrible. The nurses tried their best to turn me frequently and assist me with occasional walks, but I was in really bad shape.

I was realeased to home Hospice care. My latex foam matress is really good about not creating sores. Might be something to consider. However, a latex matress is harder to turn over in during the night. I installed a device in the ceiling that resembles a hanging trapeze bar. Really helps, as I can grab it at night to turn myself over.