helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
stump

Pill Fob Reviews

10 posts in this topic

Most likely we've all been there.  It's time for the next dose of meds, but we're out running errands, at a concert (even if just the kid's/grandkid's school concert), or whatever and your normal stash of meds is either empty or not accessible.  Having a pill fob that you either wear as a necklace or keep on your key chain can sometimes make a big difference in being able to complete the activity or having at least excuse yourself to go to your vehicle, if not abandon it entirely to go home.

So, to help out with that my best friend's wife (who I consider to be my sister anymore) got me a pill fob for Christmas.  She has Crohn's and well understands the need for timely medication doses.  The one she got was from Ti-EDC and it's shaped like a 9mm shell.  Since I'm into guns and hunting it fits.  There are plenty of other shapes if you don't like that.  

It worked great initially as it was just big enough to fit 1 Sinemet 25/100 (broken in half), it is waterproof, and is so light I hardly notice it around my neck.  As it's waterproof I don't even have to take it off while showering.  After more than month of showering daily with it on I can confirm that it is indeed waterproof.  Which means I'll never forget to grab it as I always just wear it.  Just as an additional note, I tried to get 1.5 tabs in it, and that just resulted in the top half tablet getting crushed into the bottom 2 halves when the lid was tightened which made it really hard to get any of them back out.  If you like the bullet shaped fob they make a slightly larger one that might fit that extra half tablet.

Another thing I like about it is that it's made from Titanium (hence the Ti in Ti-EDC - the EDC stands for Every Day Carry).  Not only is that just kind of cool in its own right, but that very much contributes to the lightness I mentioned earlier.  And for just under $16 shipped (if you have Amazon Prime) it's a pretty affordable option.

57103AE6-F42F-4BD0-99BD-854213B431D9_zps

Unfortunately just a month or so after they gave me that fob my MDS had me switch from instant release C/L to Rytary 95.  That fob would only fit 1 Rytary 95 capsule, and I need at least 2 (mid-day dose), usually 3 (morning and night doses), so that mini-fob just wasn't big enough for even emergency purposes.  I still carry it with regular Sinemet tab broken in half in case I need some.  Which I did earlier in the week, though I had a normal stash handy so didn't have to break into the fob, that time.  

Anyway, for my Rytary I decided to get a new fob.  I had initially purchased a slightly different sized heat-discolored version, but it arrived missing the rubber O-ring gasket that makes it water-proof, and I also quickly realized that trying to fit 3 Rytary capsules in it would result in them jamming inside.  Another half-millimeter or so in the inner diameter would have made a big difference there.  Thankfully Amazon accepted the return with zero problems and I got a full refund.

97653A66-4CBE-4046-80D4-05AB21CA4916_zps

This one is quite a bit larger.  Without really trying I can fit 9 Rytary 95's in it (a full day's worth) without anything getting stuck.  Probably could get more in there too, though I haven't needed to try.  I'm on the fence about whether or not to wear it as a necklace or put in on my keys.  It's not too bad to wear during the day, but it's definitely too big to be comfortable to sleep with it on (I tried and gave up after half an hour).  I suspect it'll go on my keys, but time will tell.

The bullet fob has in inner diameter of 6.8mm and an inner depth of 16.5mm and weighs in at a scant 5.8grams (0.2oz).  The larger pipe-looking fob has in inner diameter of 16mm and an inner depth of 46mm and weighs 27grams (1oz).  The one I sent back due to lack of an O-ring has an inner diameter of 13mm and an inner depth of 44mm and weighs 26grams.

B7A934A3-62FD-4CE7-AF7D-C1902C133F29_zps

The good (bullet fob): Super light weight, easy to keep hidden, waterproof, comfortable to always be on my person.

The bad (bullet fob): Too small for any but your smallest pills unless you can divide them, only holds 1 Sinemet (broken), chain doesn't seem durable

The good (pipe fob): Holds at least a full day's worth of Rytary for me, waterproof, light weight for the size, pretty indestructible, came with a spare O-ring, still reasonably discreet on your keys

The bad (pipe fob): too large for 24/7 necklace wear, a bit larger than if I were making it just for me, wasn't available in the pretty heat-discolored version when I bought it, chain is the same as bullet fob.

Bottom line: I highly recommend these fobs due to their light weight (for size) construction, and because (if they remember to include the gasket) they're waterproof.  If you are going to wear it 24/7 I'd suggest replacing the chain with something better.  The price is higher than other fobs, but it is reasonable considering they are made from Titanium.  That also means (unlike with aluminum) you don't have to worry about the metal reacting with your skin or the meds, you don't have to worry about corrosion (even stainless steel eventually corrodes and some meds will also react with steel), and it's virtually indestructible (unlike plastic).  

Note: I am not affiliated in any way with the maker, or distributor of these fobs, nor am I affiliated other than as a customer with Amazon.

2 people like this

Good idea Stump.  I've opted for a less expensive option but it works well for me.  I picked up a free pill fob from CVS.  It's a plastic circle about the size of a half dollar.  Mine holds 4 36.25/145mg Rytary, 1 1000mg Metformin, a couple of Baclofen, and my pain medicine.  I dropped in a puddle once and the pills remained dry but I wouldn't recommend that test regularly.  It fits in my pocket with my change.  I also printed my name, address, and phone number on small piece of paper and slipped it into the cap in case I leave it some where.

Dave

1 person likes this

This is pretty cool.   I got a 7-day 5xD pack with a timer and clock and I still manage to forget things if I am busy.  This takes it up a notch.  Leave it to me, I will mess it up somehow.

I just ordered a fob from Amazon over the weekend. It attaches to my key ring and it is small. Made of some type of metal. Not expensive, but looks about right. 

Great thread, stump.

I have a similar fob to the one swva has, but I keep it in the center console of my car. I had it on my keychain for the longest time until one day it somehow unscrewed, sending pills flying everywhere. Fortunately, I was in a store and could just pick them up off the floor. 

I picked up a plastic fob from the MJFF Partners in Parkinson’s event. It looks like a giant capsule. The swivel door is offset so it's not attached directly to the chain. So far, i haven't had any spilling issues. It holds more pills than the metal one and is much lighter. 

I also have a stash in a small plastic baggie in the zippered change compartment of my wallet. Great since there are times when I'm without my car or my keys. Not sure how well that idea would work for the gentlemen since your wallets are in your back pockets. Maybe the pills would be crushed.

Just a caution about fobs.  Carrying meds without appropriate proof of a prescription may be illegal.  With us parkies sometimes appearing to be drunk, if a cop searches you and finds drugs in your fob, you could be in for a world of hurt that could costs thousands of dollars to resolve and result in a night in jail.

3 people like this

6 hours ago, PatriotM said:

Just a caution about fobs.  Carrying meds without appropriate proof of a prescription may be illegal.  With us parkies sometimes appearing to be drunk, if a cop searches you and finds drugs in your fob, you could be in for a world of hurt that could costs thousands of dollars to resolve and result in a night in jail.

I've thought about that and have decided to take my chances. None of the drugs I take are controlled substances; no way would I take that risk. It likely IS illegal to carry ANY meds without the original bottle. It may be just as unlikely that the state would pursue charges for possession of just a few pills that aren't controlled substances. I suppose you could also be charged with intent to sell or something along that line.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, PatriotM said:

:lol:
I ain't afraid of no cops.

1 person likes this