helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

maral77    69

I have learnt so much since I joined this Foundation. Although I am not a active member, I have posted as a "Caretaker. Which I feel I am no longer.

My DH was recently diagnosed that he now has LBD. I always suspected that he did, now we know for sure. So along with all that and the regular Parkinson's symptoms that he has, I no longer was or am able to care for him.

He is now in a local Nursing home and is getting all the great care that is needed. I go every afternoon to visit and be with him. He was in Rehab there so when I had to place him there long term, he knew just about everyone. The Rehab was for two months, and during that time he went through many many various tests, which was when it was diagnosed with the LBD. The Rehab ended up with no significant results, the goal was that he could continue using his walker to get around. So he is now in a wheelchair. The speech and dementia was progressed to where there is not much to be done. Some days I can still understand what he is saying, however it usually is illusions, seeing things not there etc.

He is slowly adjusting, can take part in afew activities but very limited. Most days he is confused to why he is where he is. I cherish the better days, however, they are becoming less. There comes a time when one must think not only for the patient but for themselves. He can maintain a much better quality of life now where he is, and I can slowly get myself back to health so I can continue to be by his side. 

• Like 1

genden69    178

So sorry that your husband has LBD. You gave and continue to give him the best care. I wish you health and stamina to get through each day. Please keep us pisted on how things are going. You are still a caregiver. Though the NH has taken over some iof the caregiving duties, he still depends on your care and supervision.

• Like 1

adams234    238

Being a person with Parkinson's I can only hope for the great care you gave and continue to give. My feeling is just because you can no longer do everything by your self, you have not lost the title of caregiver. You still manage his care, just in a different capacity.

Thank you for being you and sticking by his side. I know how hard it is to make the tough calls. Your are and excellent human being and if you husband could I am sure he would agree with the decision you made.

My love to you both.

Blessing

Adam

• Like 1

swamper    59

Blessings to both of you, Mara77.  You are courageous and honest, and an inspiration to those of us who walk this path. 

• Like 1

Pathfinder    65

You are still a caregiver, he needs you as much as he ever did. I am sure this was a hard decision to make, I pray you will continue to improve your health. May he find comfort and have better days.

• Like 1

Quietstill    450

maral77,

I don't know what to say.  I am so sorry, and I am so glad that he is in a safe place.  You have done such a wonderful job taking care of him, and with the constant visiting, you still are.  The future is never ours to see, but the past is.  Your path getting to this place is a record of love, care, and giving beyond limits.  Check in often, let us know how it's going.  (I promise not to talk politics! except in one thread, different forum.)  We are too important for each other.

Take care, come back soon.

• Like 2

maral77    69

Thank you everyone for the kind remarks and encouragement. After reading all your remarks I realized that yes, I am still his caretaker. As I tried to be up on everything possible with Parkinson's, I am now finding myself everyday checking in with his nurses. I make sure his medication was given on time, what his vitals were. That he is eating, how he slept etc etc. I just want to make sure that all is being done and it always is. I said to the nurses you probably want to run and hide when you see me.. lol but they are so nice and assure me NO you are a caring person that wants to make sure he is being well taken care of.

So again Thank you and I will pop in and give updates. 

• Like 2

Linda Garren    734

Hi, Mara.  I think the nurses probably very much appreciate your calling in and more than likely wish others would be as diligent.

• Like 1