helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Linda Garren

Just Interesting Things about This and That

adams234    238

Thanks Linda, Thank you for being an island of positivity in a sea negativity. I try everyday to stay on the island. Your post are always helpful. So Thank you again.

Linda Garren    735

Hello, Adam.  I only just now saw your post above.  I am so very sorry that I didn't see it sooner.  I've been without a laptop for a few months (long story), so I've spent probably a week altogether catching up with e-mails, and that's how I just ran across yours.

May I ask if the negativity you're feeling is mainly from the forum, or is it a more broad feeling? 

I've been reading and hearing how so many in our country are feeling the same way--plus feeling less connected in a real way with people, and not just by phone or e-mail, but in person. l thought that a very interesting concept.  I'm just mentioning that because I think it's something that can increase feelings of negativity, which of course can lead to depression, anger, sadness, loneliness...

If there is anything I can help you with, will you let me know?  I'd offer some comfort that can be found in reaching out to the Lord, but I think you are not into that, so I won't unless asked.

Take care, and keep in touch.  I'm sure others can identify as to the issue of being around so much negativity and so maybe will post here, too.  :-)

Linda

adams234    238

Thanks Linda. Glad you are back in action. I always try to stay positive and be positive for those around me. Some times the negativity just brings you down. With med fluctuations this can be challenging. So far I have been happier than I have ever been.

Blessings

Adam  

johnnys    460

After the election I bought Bernie Sanders book"Our Revolution".It's a BIG Eye Opener.You can try and stay positive but it's not going to change the system becoming so imbalanced to the rich.The last time we had such disparity we got the Great Depression.Seems history repeats itself all to often.Detroit was once our wealthiest city today thanks to corporate greed it is one of our poorest with 65% of children living in poverty Our area has also been hit very hard.Most of the major companies like Kodak and Xerox have laid off most of the thousands of workers .Xerox has divested its wealth overseas to shelter from taxes.It can be reversed if people have to will to do it. 

Edited by johnnys
  • Like 2

adams234    238

I totally agree Johnnys, Rochester used to be the home of innovation, Lots of ideas grew out of this city. Now you have to work in health care or education if you want a ok paying job. It is sad to watch my history lessons come to life.

Linda Garren    735

parrots talking photo  Photo: enlewof / cc

Across parts of Australia, reports have been pouring in of strange voices chattering high in the treetops -- mysterious, non-sensical conversations in English. But while this phenomenon is certainly quite odd, its explanation isn't paranormal. It turns out that escaped pet birds, namely parrots and cockatoos, have begun teaching their wild bird counterparts a bit of the language they picked up from their time in captivity -- and, according to witnesses, that includes more than a few expletives.Jaynia Sladek, an ornithologist from the Australian Museum, says that some birds are just natural mimickers, able to acquire new sounds based on things they hear around them. For birds kept as pets, these sounds tend to mirror human language -- but that influence doesn't cease even after said birds escape or are released back into the wild.

Once back in their natural environments, these chatty ex-pets eventually join with wild birds who, in turn, start picking up the new words and sounds. The remnants of that language also eventually gets passed along to the escaped birds' offspring, much like it does for humans.

"There's no reason why, if one comes into the flock with words, [then] another member of the flock wouldn't pick it up as well," Sladek said in an interview with Australian Geographic.

According to the report, 'Hello cockie' is one of the most commonly heard phrases feral birds are teaching in the wild, along with a host of expletives -- perhaps the last words those escapees heard after their frantic owners realized they were making a break for freedom.

Edited by Linda Garren
  • Like 2

Linda Garren    735
View image on Twitter

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson mounts up to drive a Harley-Davidson on the 30th Anniversary of Rolling Thunder

28 May 2017
Edited by Linda Garren

Dancing Bear    78

Good morning Linda,

Now I know you probably don't follow NCAA Div 1 Men's Lacrosse BUT Johns Hopkins is usually a powerhouse to be reckoned with in the final 4 and championship which is traditionally played on Memorial Day.  Johns Hopkins didn't make the final four this year....:o  However on a positive note to start the week........Maryland won it all beating Ohio State 9-6! :D  Thought you would want to know that for some reason..........DB

• Like 1

Linda Garren    735

Hello, DB!  So nice to hear from you.  Yes, JHU's Blue Jays have always been incredible, and I didn't know about Maryland having won it all this year!.  Sigh; Any positive news right now is welcome as we go through the political chaos that our country is experiencing.  Thank you.

I'm going to post a song and video that I just listened to.  I usually am not a fan of the type of music it is, but what I liked about this particular video is how the words can actually be understood(!) and the beauty of harmony that has been put together.  Topping it all are their smiles.  I hope you enjoy it, too.  (These are students from Lee University.)

Good to hear from you.

Linda

Edited by Linda Garren
spelling

Linda Garren    735

DB:  P.S.  This video reminds me of how every day felt at the Christian College I went to for four years where we all studied the Bible together under the teaching of incredible instructors.  Lots of smiles, lots and lots of talent musically, lots of happiness and love for each other in spite of the difficult things that life brings, and best of all our shared pure and sincere love and commitment to Jesus Christ and to each other.  Those four years--hands down--were the best four years of my life.

Dancing Bear    78

Thanks for sharing that video. So many things like this available at our fingertips on the internet!  Do you still keep in touch with your college friends?

Linda Garren    735

Oh, yes--I sure do keep in touch with several of my life-long friends from college, though I've fallen behind keeping in touchover the years with some other very special friends.  One of my roommates and her husband were in town this past weekend for a wedding, and we were to get together, but I was having a lot off trouble physically and had to cancel.  (I was experiencing RLS, but through my whole body.  It was tiring.  Also had been shopping the day before and as many times, I felt like I had the flu the next day.  I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so I think that is what it was.  I could hardly walk or think straight.  Slept for two days and nights straight through except for a quick bite of something to eat and to use the bathroom.)  It was so disappointing not to be able to be with them.  It's been about 35-40 years or so since we've been together.  This roommate is from Georgia, and when you think of the old saying of "a Georgia peach" she fit that description exactly.  Everywhere she went she would say in her sweet Southern accent, "Hey, y'all!"  The first time someone said "Hey, Linda" I said, "Yes?, not realizing that Southerners used "Hey" the same as "Hi."  :-) 

Another long-time friend from college and her husband have been working in Palawan in the Philippines for about 45 years with the mountain peoples for whom her husband (among many other projects) developed an alphabet in their language, taught them how to read and write in their language, and translated the New Testament and part of the Old Testament into their language. Just recently Bibles printed in their language have been distributed to them.   I'm very concerned, as that area has recently been in the news as one that the Islamic terrorists have taken over.  My friends have worked there for years in spite of all those years being subject to that danger, and some of the other missionaries through the years working in that area were attacked and kidnapped--and some killed.  I admire my friends so much and pray that they will remain safe. Their plan has been to retire and move back to the States as soon as they can tie up some loose ends there.

At least two people from my time there became top-selling authors, and at least one has a successful singing career.  The talent these people had was amazing in general.  I had had no idea what to expect before I went there (I had never been as far south as South Carolina before), and I naively wondered what the people would be like.  Would they wear jeans and go barefoot?  Would they be hayseeds, so to speak?  LOL!  They were more up to date than most people I knew back home!  And they had regular department stores and a downtown area. LOL!  Hee-hee!  This was a long time ago--1966.  Interstate highways had not even been constructed yet.  Driving down "main" roads to and from there we would stop along the side of the road sometimes and watch people picking cotton.  The air smelled sweeter the farther South we went.  There were swampy areas on the sides of the road where trees grew with beautiful hanging moss dripping from them, which we had never seen before either.  And we would stop at little eateries along the way where we were served just-from-the-field-picked vegetables.  We were introduced to Mountain Dew, and that was something at that time we didn't yet have up North.  Lots of firecracker shacks and Cracker Barrel and Stucky's Restaurants along the way, too.

Good memories.  :-)

Edited by Linda Garren
spelling corrections

Linda Garren    735

I'm posting this in "Just a Little Something About This and That" for your enjoyment/relaxation/escape.  It was posted on another support site I belong to for another chronic health condition I have, and I thought it something that people here might enjoy, too.  This was posted by that forum's moderator:

Linda

THIS VIDEO IS TRULY EPIC!

THE BBC HAS JUST RELEASED 40 HOURS OF INCREDIBLE PHOTOGRAPHY OF EARTH, IN ALL OF IT'S GRANDEUR, COMPLETE WITH ACTUAL SOUNDS. (Yes, there are 4 ;YouTube videos that are EACH 10 hours in length.  They are slow moving and mesmerizing and worth your time to watch for as long as you have time, then bookmark it and resume when you want a time of relaxation. I promise this will astound you.

Each scene is about a minute in length so it's easy to pause and resume at leisure. You will see the links to the three other videos.

If you don't have time to watch, and you get anxious to see other scenes, just do a fast-forward to get a general overview of what this is all about. You'll be glad you did!

https://www.sciencealert.com/video

Edited by Linda Garren

Linda Garren    735

"Around us, life bursts with miracles--a glass of water, a ray of sunshine,a leaf, a caterpillar, a flower, laughter, raindrops.. If you live in awareness,
it is easy to see miracles everywhere. Each human being is a multiplicity of miracles; Eyes that see thousands of colors, shapes, and forms; ears
that hear a bee flying or a thunderclap; a brain that ponders a speck of dust as easily as the entire cosmos; a heart that beats in rhythm with the

heartbeat of all beings. When we are tired and feel discouraged by life's daily struggles, we may not notice these miracles, but they are always there."

--- Thich Nhat Hanh