helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Marketfocus

Sinemet not kicking in except with propranolol

Marketfocus    0

Lately I'm having a very difficult time getting much if any "on " time with my Sinemet - currently 25/100 IR 1.5 tablets AM, 2 tablets about noon, 1.5 tablets mid afternoon and one CR in evening . I take c/l at least an hour before or after food, and in the morning, this is after not eating all night. I do however have a fairly high protein diet due to reactive hypoglycemia. The one time I seem to get a better response is on occasions when I take 10 mg propranolol the night before. The next day rigidity and slowness of movement are significantly better (25-50 pct improvement) than when I take the c/l alone. I've described this to at least two MDS doctors and they can't explain it other than to say perhaps my autonomous nervous system has been calmed down a bit. I can't take the propranolol daily as it causes depression if I take it more than a few times a week. I've tried increasing my Sinemet but it seems I am getting some dyskinesia so I've backed off that at this point. I've tried Azilect and entacapone and both caused migraines. I have a history of OCD and have been advised not to try dopamine agonists. So that pretty much leaves me with trying to get the c/l to work better . I've also reas lately h pylori can interfere with Sinemet absorption. Any thoughts you might have in improving the Sinemet response and reasons for the benefit with propranolol would be appreciated. Thank you!

MComes RPH    180

Propranolol, which is a Beta-Blocker usually used to control blood pressure, has been used in patients with Parkinson's Disease as well as Essential Tremors to help decrease tremors, decrease muscle tension, and decrease those odd jerking motions that may affect the shoulders or arms. It also seems to be effective when an expected stressful situation may be on the horizon.

Propranolol is usually a second line medication after the primary PD medications have been tried. It can be used alone, but is usually combined with other medications (ie. carbidopa/levodopa, dopamine agonists, etc...).to get the greatest relief of symptoms.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.