helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
ellaangel2

Linda Where Are You?

33 posts in this topic

Starting to get very concerned about Linda, has anyone heard from her?

Linda, you are entitled to a "break," but please, just let us know you are ok.

Edited by ellaangel2

As many of us were aware, Linda was an acolyte of Dr. Charles Stanley, a televangelist, millionaire and to some, a huckster.  I surmise that his recent exposure and the tabloid  media's reporting of the dust up with his son has left our friend 'cooling her jets' at least for the meantime.   I wish her well.  

Edited by Rogerstar1

In my opinion, that's a "stretch" as to the explanation of where Linda is............

4 people like this

3 John 1:2   Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.  (KJV)

Linda, if you can read this know that you continue to be in my prayers and thoughts.  Like miracleseeker has said, we hope you are having computer issues and will be back on line soon.  Can't imagine it could be anything else that would keep you away if you are physically able hit the keys!

DB

1 person likes this

On 3/4/2017 at 10:42 PM, Dancing Bear said:

3 John 1:2   Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.  (KJV)

Linda, if you can read this know that you continue to be in my prayers and thoughts.  Like miracleseeker has said, we hope you are having computer issues and will be back on line soon.  Can't imagine it could be anything else that would keep you away if you are physically able hit the keys!

DB

Hi, DB.  Thank you so much for your kind post.and prayers and thoughts, as well as the verse.  It's good to be back.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:42 PM, Dancing Bear said:

DB

Hello, DB.  Thank you and so many others (Noah, Peace, J, Quietstill, Discovery, jb, NN, and others...so many kind and caring people) for your concern re: my recent extended absence from the forum.  It's been wonderful to be back in touch with so many special friends here since the long break I had unexpectedly, but I've been doing some heavy thinking about whether I plan to return to the Forum at all except maybe just every now and then.  Admin. finally banned Roger, but with pdmanaz still lurking and ready to attack at any time, and now Luke, too (not only to me, but others as well), I refuse to make myself vulnerable to them.  Luke's attack as well as pdmanaz's frightened and confused me (and just plain hurt--deeply), and I want to tell them that they did a number on me physically as well as emotionally.  If they intended that, they were successful. 

Our Forum as a whole definitely does not have adequate oversight nor do we get timely contact returns from Admin, if at all. I found that has been a problem for some time.  It might be a good idea for them to appoint someone within the Forum to take over that responsibility?

So it is with much sadness that I won't be starting another thread on Christianity (which was approved to be done), but I have to realize my limitations within this environment and need to protect myself from the continuing stress from these attacks, stress being one of the worst things for PWPs to subject themselves to.  I'm not the only one whom these attackers have affected. 

I'm wondering, DB, if you and Peace and Noah and others who love and serve Christ might want to start a new thread, perhaps with joint leadership?  Just a suggestion.  The previous thread has still been receiving views since it closed (very roughly about 2,500 since the last reported number of 44,000).  So there is a strong need and desire by many who visit the Parkinson's Forum for what it gave, and that I hope and pray that someone can continue.

I've spoken very openly here, because I believe that the information needed to be specific and that it needed to be shared with the whole group so that everyone knows and understands the situation clearly.  Too many others have also been hurt and stung by attacks just as I have been.

I'm going to post something I read yesterday when I was waiting for the vet for my cat, Dusty.  I hope people take time to read it.  It explains well what has been going on with the interruptions that the thread on Christianity has had.  We know as Christians to expect many to turn away, even attack us.  I have to say again that it is with great regret that I'm leaving the leadership of the thread, but I'm shaking the dust off my feet (as Christ told us to do when we are mocked and what we say is rejected--He never pushed Himself on people who opposed Him).  He did say to love our enemies and pray for them, which I do along with praying for the others on the site and also the friends here who did not visit but for whom I have much fondness and appreciation. I hope to keep in contact with all of you precious people whom the Lord so lovingly and graciously allowed into my life. 

With much fondness,

Linda

Edited by Linda Garren

The Tyranny of Political Correctness

Political correctness is very appealing to many people, in large part, because it demands--not requests--kindness from others.

The type of people who find it attractive are people who, for various psychological reasons, attempt to see themselves as righteous in the cause to make a more kind, gentle nation and world. They reject and deny certain elements of their own prejudices toward others and those elements of their character that demand limitations on certain others.  And in order to prove to themselves that they aren't like this, they often overreact by demanding its abolition in others.

Their motto, "Tolerance of intolerance isn't tolerance," is a corruption of tolerance that gives them the appearance of moral authority to force on others a state of tyranny in the name of righteousness for the better cause.

The type of kindness that they attempt to inflict on others is not that which comes from a willful spirit, but which is born out of resentment of authority that has festered from much earlier times.  And the use of guilt, peer pressure and, at times, various forms of punishment to get others to accept and conform has the ultimate objective of making it part of the legal system.  In many ways, it resembles an attempt by the child to overthrow what they perceive as the harsh parent.

The best way to gain powers over people is by convincing them that they, too, can be an elevated human by becoming part of an idea that represents the higher values.  And its their duty to rid the world of that which threatens those values.  Do not mistake this philosophy as coming from an enlightenment of the spontaneous human spirit; it was born from and well thought out by the ultra-liberal hierarchy for the purpose of achieving power.

Written by Donald Frost, Essex, MD, in the April 6, 2017, edition of www.eastcountytimesonline.com

OMG Always playing the victim.  You can keep on without understanding a thing im talking about and making up all sorts of things about me. I know you by your words but you know nothing about me. What does this thread have to do with PWP? Defending the victim status quo? Stop using my name as a rebuttle to your point of view. STOP PLEASE.

20 hours ago, Linda Garren said:

Hello, DB.  Thank you and so many others (Noah, Peace, J, Quietstill, Discovery, jb, NN, and others...so many kind and caring people) for your concern re: my recent extended absence from the forum.  It's been wonderful to be back in touch with so many special friends here since the long break I had unexpectedly, but I've been doing some heavy thinking about whether I plan to return to the Forum at all except maybe just every now and then.  Admin. finally banned Roger, but with pdmanaz still lurking and ready to attack at any time, and now Luke, too (not only to me, but others as well), I refuse to make myself vulnerable to them.  Luke's attack as well as pdmanaz's frightened and confused me (and just plain hurt--deeply), and I want to tell them that they did a number on me physically as well as emotionally.  If they intended that, they were successful. 

Our Forum as a whole definitely does not have adequate oversight nor do we get timely contact returns from Admin, if at all. I found that has been a problem for some time.  It might be a good idea for them to appoint someone within the Forum to take over that responsibility?

So it is with much sadness that I won't be starting another thread on Christianity (which was approved to be done), but I have to realize my limitations within this environment and need to protect myself from the continuing stress from these attacks, stress being one of the worst things for PWPs to subject themselves to.  I'm not the only one whom these attackers have affected. 

I'm wondering, DB, if you and Peace and Noah and others who love and serve Christ might want to start a new thread, perhaps with joint leadership?  Just a suggestion.  The previous thread has still been receiving views since it closed (very roughly about 2,500 since the last reported number of 44,000).  So there is a strong need and desire by many who visit the Parkinson's Forum for what it gave, and that I hope and pray that someone can continue.

I've spoken very openly here, because I believe that the information needed to be specific and that it needed to be shared with the whole group so that everyone knows and understands the situation clearly.  Too many others have also been hurt and stung by attacks just as I have been.

I'm going to post something I read yesterday when I was waiting for the vet for my cat, Dusty.  I hope people take time to read it.  It explains well what has been going on with the interruptions that the thread on Christianity has had.  We know as Christians to expect many to turn away, even attack us.  I have to say again that it is with great regret that I'm leaving the leadership of the thread, but I'm shaking the dust off my feet (as Christ told us to do when we are mocked and what we say is rejected--He never pushed Himself on people who opposed Him).  He did say to love our enemies and pray for them, which I do along with praying for the others on the site and also the friends here who did not visit but for whom I have much fondness and appreciation. I hope to keep in contact with all of you precious people whom the Lord so lovingly and graciously allowed into my life. 

With much fondness,

Linda

Why start another thread when Admin should just open the original one back up?  That makes no sense if the discussion will be the same anyways.

1 person likes this

I agree ( not for you Linda )....dislike button would be handy...

D

Edited by Discovery

This too shall pass.  I always have to remind myself of this.  Drama happens when we react to things rather than let it go.  So many people have come and gone from this forum since I joined.   Yesterday's confrontations are now a distant memory.

2 people like this

Linda,  I tried to send you a msg but can't.  Is it time for an inbox cleanup?

DB

15 hours ago, Dancing Bear said:

Linda,  I tried to send you a msg but can't.  Is it time for an inbox cleanup?

DB

I cleared out some things, so a message should be able to reach me now....

Linda, I'm glad to have you as a friend. 

As to a few others, well Mom said it best "If you don't have anything polite to say, don't say anything at all".   I miss Mom, very wise women.

I finally rearranged my home office. Still working, grateful for the gifts I have, but at times realize there is a whole world out there and I need to step away from my computer.

Oh, today is the anniversary of my parents 70th wedding. I still count my lucky stars to have had such wonder parents. Of the six of us kids, five are doing well. One is bitter about life in general and feels he had the worst childhood ever. My only thought is what we focus on brings out the best, or the worst, in all of us.  Always amazed that some people can be in a lush garden, and yet just focus on the weeds. 

Meanwhile I'm up early, all three dogs camped out in the office with me. I've had my morning espresso and looking forward to a nice sunrise. Life is good.

4 people like this

Tex, I'm so touched by your post, and I just want you to know that the feeling is mutual.  I've always admired you--very much--and am glad we can count each other as friends.  Thank you.

And yes, moms are surely very wise, I agree.  I often think of how hard my mother worked for our family of five, cooking or preparing three meals a day (in those days it was rare to go out to eat--and when we did, it was to go to Howard Johnson's, as there weren't as many choices then).  She ensured we waited for my dad to get home from work at the end of the day, so that we ate together as a family each evening at supper.  This after cleaning, doing laundry, ironing (yes, that used to be done!), gardening, practicing the piano, and so faithfully volunteering in many ways inside and outside the church.  She had so much love and so much commitment.  She was a quiet person and we enjoyed just sitting with her, often without even talking--just being close felt so comfortable and secure.  Your mom sure had her work cut out for her with six(!) kids!  I seem to recall a lot (or all?) of those were sons?  I'm so sorry about the one who is bitter.  Hopefully with time and life experiences he may be able to work through that.  And my goodness--70 years of marriage for your parents!!  Are they both still living?  Isn't it unusual (and very touching) in this day and age to hear of that long a marriage.  I miss so much the days when that was pretty much the norm for many, and families were so much closer.

Give those 3 sweet dogs a scratch for me.  Is that cardinal still upset about the one he sees in the mirror?  LOL!!!  That really is just so funny.

2 people like this

On 4/9/2017 at 5:02 PM, Linda Garren said:

The Tyranny of Political Correctness

Political correctness is very appealing to many people, in large part, because it demands--not requests--kindness from others.

The type of people who find it attractive are people who, for various psychological reasons, attempt to see themselves as righteous in the cause to make a more kind, gentle nation and world. They reject and deny certain elements of their own prejudices toward others and those elements of their character that demand limitations on certain others.  And in order to prove to themselves that they aren't like this, they often overreact by demanding its abolition in others.

Their motto, "Tolerance of intolerance isn't tolerance," is a corruption of tolerance that gives them the appearance of moral authority to force on others a state of tyranny in the name of righteousness for the better cause.

The type of kindness that they attempt to inflict on others is not that which comes from a willful spirit, but which is born out of resentment of authority that has festered from much earlier times.  And the use of guilt, peer pressure and, at times, various forms of punishment to get others to accept and conform has the ultimate objective of making it part of the legal system.  In many ways, it resembles an attempt by the child to overthrow what they perceive as the harsh parent.

The best way to gain powers over people is by convincing them that they, too, can be an elevated human by becoming part of an idea that represents the higher values.  And its their duty to rid the world of that which threatens those values.  Do not mistake this philosophy as coming from an enlightenment of the spontaneous human spirit; it was born from and well thought out by the ultra-liberal hierarchy for the purpose of achieving power.

Written by Donald Frost, Essex, MD, in the April 6, 2017, edition of www.eastcountytimesonline.com

Hi Linda,

Thank you for finding this.  I really want to respond respectfully.  Here it is : EEK!  EEK!  EEK!

Okay, on a serious level, The PC discussion is good, but this Donald Frost is a shill for other interesting ideas.  Specifically, did you know that Barney Frank and Barack Obama were responsible for the financial crash of 2007?  Or that the Bundys are non violent patriots?  So let's step back and just look at some of what the article suggests.

"Political correctness is very appealing to many people, in large part, because it demands--not requests--kindness from others."  Well, yes, except for the 'demands'.  In my way of life, PC requests that if we have a discussion on an issue, belittling the other person is not helpful, and therefore should be avoided.  If someone says something I think is non "PC" I have a right to respectfully ask that person to clarify their statement, as it makes me uncomfortable for X, Y reasons.  If they respnd, great!  We can have a discussion, and both will learn about the others viewpoint.  If the discussion is refused, well, that is the refuser's loss. We cannot learn, unless we all consider other people's point of views that make us uncomfortable.  Frost here is using a nifty logic trick, take "requests"t and turn it into unreasonable "demands", and then label the whole concept as a tool of "the ultra-liberal hierarchy for the purpose of achieving power."

I do indulge in PC speak.  I ask that people do not make personal attacks in my presence, consider other people's viewspoints as valid and not belittle those viewpoints, and treat everyone as fellow human beings.  Pretty radical, huh? And no, I do not believe I am "an elevated human."  I just try (and hopefully occasionally succeed) at being a decent member of the human race.  I am not sure that I can say the same of Donald Frost, who writes a lot of letters to the editor which point out grievous faults in others, but never solutions or compassion.

3 people like this

Political correctness has evolved from not calling black people the "N' word to include other offensive, degrading or hurtful things that should not be used in a civilized society.

Genden:  I so agree. It's also respect, civility and just plain caring for another human being.  (And sometimes, caring means saying things that may sound uncaring, but are meant to help--not hurt.)  What I do not like is that P.C. has also unfortunately included forcing certain things down peoples' throats.  And attempted mandates as to what churches can and cannot teach which have been directly in conflict with what God tells us in the Bible. THAT is where the "demand" comes in that is glaringly just plain wrong.  If you think back on the last administration, think about how many times Obama declared something and then said, "because it is the right thing to do."  Says who? Says Obama.  Even if what he says spits in the face of God, which it did.

Quiet, as always you write your thoughts beautifully, and you live those thoughts out (genden also on both those things).  Please remember that I was referring specifically (as I stated) to the article's explaining well what I was experiencing by the vicious attacks .  Surely you can understand that.  I can't tell you how that last attack (by Luke) hit me.  When I started reading it, I felt panic because by his intensity I thought I must have done something terribly wrong.  His manner caused me a severe physiological reaction.  And then when I read his post, I couldn't even understand what in the world he was trying to say.  He just wanted an opportunity to shout and tear someone down, probably to release his anger.  Possibly also unconsciously to make someone else feel as bad as he must have.  I have great empathy for those who have serious emotional problems, but for them to release their anger toward a person inappropriately is not exactly P.C. or even humane. 

Quiet, I had tried to find out who the author was before I posted it but could not find anything anywhere.  I didn't think of the most obvious thing to do, which you apparently did.  I'm assuming you read some past issues of the paper.  Thanks for the heads up on the author.

It's unfortunate that the right and left, conservative and liberal, are often boxed into being seen with certain characteristics and a certain attitude that is assumed by those on either opposite side of the fence.  People are so much more complex than that.  I cringe to ever be identified as alt right, which I'm absolutely not, but have been accused of by the poster who was banned recently.  Or prejudiced toward ethnicity or race.  God has given me an overabundance of love for all different kinds of people.  I don't hate homosexuals, which has been alluded to in some posts. In fact, God has given me a deep caring for them. 

Our country is so polarized.  You both are models of courtesy, with the strength to speak up when you have difference of opinion.  I'm grateful for that, and I listen to what you have to say.  Thank you for allowing me to do the same.+

Edited by Linda Garren
correction

Did you know the Founding Fathers actually coined the term politically correct speech?  They were talking about the ability to talk out issues so that consensus could eventually be made.    So I prefer that PC be remembered as courtesy.  As an attack method, no, that's not PC speech, that's just an attack.  Much like any form of attack speech does not reflect the greater idea.  Just like Christianity, judge a person professing 'PC" by what they say and do, not the label they may be trying to cloak themselves with.  I do.  And, yeah, genden is cool.

2 people like this

No, I sure didn't, Quiet.  Thanks. Yes--courtesy is a good word for it, too.  :-)

In my opinion, there is no venue, churches included, that can be a justification or cover for speech that degrades, humiliates, offends, or hurts, is meant to marginalize the disabled, groups who are "different," etc.  How can the expectation of civility, trust, respect, and tolerance, respect for all human beings, ever be considered shoving it down our throats? My children couldn't get away with "everyone is saying it," "I just meant," "but he is not like me." as a justification. Freedom of speech demands responsibility for what you say.

Edited by genden69
1 person likes this

genden, i can understand you may not be catching the point I was trying to make, and honestly I don't even feel safe or comfortable to go into it here, unfortunately.

If anyone is ever interested in discussing it, please message me.  I'd be happy to talk with them one on one and only if they are calling for better understanding and not to argue.