helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
stump

Motion Sickness Remedies for PWP's

In the past I've used Scopalomine patches for sea-sickness prevention when going ocean fishing.  Last time I used it I started to get nauseous shortly after putting it on (long before I hit the water) and wasn't feeling good again until a couple/three hours after I took the patch off (long after being back on dry land).  I also got sea-sick (i.e. vomited) in conditions that probably didn't really warrant the patch in the first place, but as conditions can change quickly, and had been predicted to be worse than they were I didn't want to take chances.  Plus, it takes a couple hours for the patch to reach full effectiveness, so it's not like I could leave it to the last minute to choose to use it or not.

Anyway, my MDS recommended Ativan in place of the Scop patches.  I'm leery of benzo's in general but am willing to try it.  A few people have also suggested medical marijuana products, e.g. CBD oil, as a possible option as well.  MMJ is legal in my state (as is recreational use, though I've seriously never tried it, even in college).  I don't want the "high" if it's possible to avoid.  

What is your opinion on the use of Ativan or MMJ products for treating motion sickness in PD patients?  Is there anything else you would recommend I try?  I've tried all the OTC anti-emetics and ginger.  None of them were particularly great.  Before PD the Scop patch was by far the best solution, but now it seems I can't use it anymore.

One Over-The-Counter medication that seems to work well is Meclizine. If you have not tried it, it may be worth a try. You can take up to 25mg. about one hour prior to being on the water or on a flight.

As for the Scopalomine patch, I have had patients who have had similar issues with them. My usual recommendation is to cut the patch in half (which the manufacturer does not recommend). I will usually have the person cover the patch with a round band aid which will keep the patch in place.

The benzodiazipine's have been used to help people with anxiety when it comes to flying or on a cruise. as far as it being used for nausea, it has primarily been used  in nausea as it relates to cancer patients and some post-op patients. Even this practice has been diminished due to the production of new products(ie. Zofran) by prescription products that zero in on the nausea center of the brain. Zofran may also be an option for relieving nausea for you. LOf course this is a medication that you will need to get a prescription from your Doctor for. I have heard of Benzodiazepam's used in small doses to attempt to curb nausea, but the final result is usually sleepiness or lethergy. The Ativan will probably cause you to fall asleep before it will work for nausea.

When it comes to cannabis and relieving nausea, most of the strains have a minor effect on helping nausea. However, there is one strain from the Rift Valley in Africa called Durban Poison (which is in the Sativa family) that has shown to give the greatest relief from nausea with having the least amount of possibility of causing a high. If the dispensary does not have this particular strain, feel free to ask them what strain would be best to help with nausea.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

• Like 1