helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pathfinder

First time flu symptoms with PD

6 posts in this topic

I began flu symptoms on Monday, negative for flu just viral. After Lysol and Clorox wipes didn't work for prevention, today hubby is full on sick with the same virus. During shower time he had such severe tremors, the bath was so warm we both got overheated and took turns throwing up. Not our desired mutual activity I assure you. He is now resting nicely on clean sheets, as am I. Let's hope that was the end of that crap. Much rather return to the aching body and wracking cough. Please no one else get this, it is miserable. Trying to keep him hydrated as he is diabetic as well.

Anything else I should watch for as regards to PD? Thank you.

That's horrible.  I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  You must have felt so helpless and alone.   Please take care of yourself.  I know it's so hard to do when you have someone who always comes first.  My mom never reacts well to any medication so if you do give your DH any be prepared to have his symptoms increase while he's taking them.   You are really something to give him a bath even though you both felt sick.  I would never have the energy to do that so I would just skip it or use wipes. Hopefully  it's just temporary and you both will be better before you know it.

That's horrible.  I'm so sorry you had to go through that.  You must have felt so helpless and alone.   Please take care of yourself.  I know it's so hard to do when you have someone who always comes first.  My mom never reacts well to any medication so if you do give your DH any be prepared to have his symptoms increase while he's taking them.   You are really something to give him a bath even though you both felt sick.  I would never have the energy to do that so I would just skip it or use wipes. Hopefully  it's just temporary and you both will be better before you know it.

Thank you for your reply. I had to give him a shower, he had perspired so much and l hoped it would make him feel better and rest better too. I hadn't thrown up during my previous days and didn't occur to me hot room, sick as a dog caregiver! I am feeling better today thank you!

Last night was horrific. His cough worsened, sleeping in another room couldn't happen l had no way to be sure l could hear his soft voice. He was weak from the sudden onset and was having trouble walking. I got him in bed and he starts fighting the covers trying to get up. He was so disoriented and you couldn't reason with him to stay in bed. We were still awake at 5:30this morning!! I left the room to call my daughter and hear a faint noise, you guessed it he was sitting beside the bed in the floor. He said he didn't fall, slid down like before, and he couldn't or wouldn't understand commands to try and help me get him back to bed. My SIL is a big guy, hubby is small, he managed after struggling so much with his noncompliance. I have a call in to PCP for instructions, if nothing there will phone Nuerologist next. What a awful night for him....and he is sleeping so well with moderate temp.

Yes I've been through that.  When my mom had c-diff she kept sleeping diagonally on the bed where her legs were coming off the bed and her feet were planted on the ground.  She was in pain and uncomfortable so she was squirming around.  I hope you have taken him to the ER by now.  He probably has an infection and that's hard to get over on it's own.  

Edited by miracleseeker

PCP returned my call and orderedTamiflu this morning for hubby. His temp is still up, not as weak and he ate a tiny meal this afternoon. We got out his walker, insisted he use it, and made some other changes he didn't like but l did reason with him they were necessary. We both will follow up Monday as l may need steroids to get over this horrible cough, just so you know not a smoker and not around it at all. Hubbys chest is tighter than mine. Our DD and family postponed her California vacation to stay and care for us. God bless those caregivers. When l saw my SIL was here this morning it was so reassuring, he could pick him up like a sack of potatoes! I think hubby remembers a bit of how awful last night was for him as he has been so sweet today.

Survived another crisis! We got this!

2 people like this

I feel so relieved for you!   It is so nice when people will help and save the day right?  Support is so important and reassuring.  It is priceless and gives you hope.  You and your DH will pass this hurdle sooner than you know it.   Best wishes.

PS.  Make sure you ask the PCP to only prescribe medication that will do the least damage to his PD symptoms since we all know they all will interfere with his PD meds more or less.

1 person likes this