helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
DaveN

Drinking Glasses

Here's a question for the forum. I was putting away the dishes this morning when I noted to my wife that I've broken a lot of glasses over the past year, six to be exact and a glass water bottle. My wife purchased some heavy glasses which I broke three of them and the other three were a lighter style.

What type of drinking glasses are you using in your home? Would be very interested to hear from some of the caregivers as I'm sure they've been through the broken glass syndrome already.

Thanks.

Dave

P.S. I'm not ready for sippy cups just yet.

Light weight mugs (with a handle).  My favorite for ease of use is a plastic, insulated coffee mug  that is about six inches tall with a wide enough base that knocking it over is less likely.  More later on this excellent question.  I've broken so many cups, saucers, coffee carafes, plates until folks have stopped making jokes about my clumsiness.

A related problem is with dribbling liquid down the front of the shirt I'm wearing on a given day.  A lite weight cup with a handle allows better control but to be safer still I put on a bib before meals.  The virtues of a sufficiently large, well lit, French doored refrigerator with the freezer below (rather than on top of the unit) has saved numerous bottles of ketchup, bottles of soda/ beer and pyrex dishes.

Most of my glassware I destroyed when hand washing it in the kitchen sink.  A good trick there is to cut a piece of hardwood into a fifteen inch board and put in the bottom of the sink..  Resting expensive glassware on it  as you soap, clean and rinse  makes it less likely to slip from your grasp and shatter in the harder cast iron sink. 

Edited by Rogerstar1
  • Like 1

Check out GoVino plastic glassware - lightweight thin and dishwasher compatible - they have an indentation for your thumb. I haven't found the perfect coffee mug but I think that Tervis Tumblers makes insulated plastic cups with or without sippy lids.

Everything is slippery some days!!

Twitch

• Like 1

Glasses are too heavy.  I have always used acrylic cups.  If it's for something hot then I first used a mug to heat up in the microwave  then I pour it into the acrylic cup.

• Like 1

My DH is now in a Health Center and they use what is called Nosey cups/glasses.  The Nosey Cup is an adapted drinking cup with a u-shaped cut out on one side. The special cut out provides space for the nose, allowing the user to tilt the cup for drinking without bending the neck or tilting the head. They are dishwashing safe, lightweight, and the best thing, I had never heard of them and had to ask what they were called. They use only these for the Parkinson's residence there.

• Like 1