helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
BillBRNC

Night time Sinemet Fast or CR to stay pain free until morning

BillBRNC    25

Is it normal for folks on regular Sinemet during the day to take some before bed or wait to wake up with pain, or do you take a CR to hold for at least most of night? Just wondering. I'll be asking my neuro when he next adjust meds. Thanks.

Rogerstar1    385

If I take one CR my sleep level deepens and I can remain asleep for 3 to 5 hours.  I take very little Sinemet during the day, limiting myself to 3 to five half pills, depending on what the day demands of me.  I find a doctor's advice on medication adjustments to be ill advised as I understand my body's reaction best of all.  Experimentation is key and don't overdue it.  Good luck to you BTW. 

MIMILASTER    79

Roger,

A little more precision would not hurt.  A pill /half a pill of which category ?  100/25 or 200/50 ? How much dopa do you need to ensure 3 to 5 hours of sleep ?  I am currently revising my medication schedule and would be interested to know, for comparison purposes, in an effort not to overdo it.

Rogerstar1    385

I routinely take half a pill of 100/25 Sinemet upon arising and before heading downstairs for breakfast. On days when I am going to see my neurologist I don't take any Sinemet until I am about twenty minutes from his office so that he can observe me  turning 'on'.  Throughout the day I take half a pill of 25/100 as needed...about every four hours (roughly).   I take a full pill of 200/50 L-dopa when I retire.  Hope this helps.

BillBRNC    25

Ok, dumb question. I thought and just looked up that Sinemet comes as 25/100, not 100/25. The smaller number seems to always be first. Am I missing something that is obvious to everyone else? Thanks.

BillBRNC    25

That makes me feel a little less stupid today, which is always a nice feeling. I currently moving up the chain on dosage. I went a week at half of a 25/100 three times a day, then about 5 days ago I went to a full pill 25/100 also three times a day. I think at the end of the week the doc is going to up it again to either one full and one half three time per day, or possibly take it up to a full 2 pills three times a day. I really haven't had any side effects (fingers crossed), but I haven't really felt much relief. I think I've gotten a little relief for about an hour or 2 soon after taking each dose, then back to starting point. At the risk of grossing folks out, the biggest benefit so far is the fact that I can actually take a full pee now and again. I'm still a shuffling man when I walk, with a trip here and there, with a short spin every once in a while, and my legs feel like they weigh a ton, and my back bends like a hinge at my waist and, and, and, and.... I have great hope for the meds to work, then I hope to take the Big PT thing. OH, and then there is the dementia thing, as I have Dementia with Lewy Bodies, which is what is causing all these Parkinson things.

Edited by BillBRNC

DaveN    425

At the risk of grossing folks out, the biggest benefit so far is the fact that I can actually take a full pee now and again.

Bill, that shouldn't gross anyone out. That is by far my most annoying symptom. When I'm ON, I pee like someone in their late 50's, but when I'm OFF it's like this major production that takes an excessive amount of time.

Glad the Sinemet is starting to help.

Dave

MusicMan    769

The more often you take sinemet, the more you have to worry about food/ protein interference. Since it is best to take it 1 hour before, or 2 hours after eating, then taking sinemet every few hours is not a good idea.

swva    81

I always try to take my meds at least 30 minutes prior to eating and at least a couple hours after eating, but to be honest, I really haven't noticed a big difference if I eat right before or after taking my C/L.

BillBRNC    25

All I know right now is that taking 1.5 pills of 25/100 3 times a day has already changed my life for the better. I can't wait to try 2 full pills, but I plan to wait per doctor's advice. It would be nice to have a night time dose of something, but I can live without it for now. I take the pills about 30 minutes before I eat, but I might miss a little one way or the other. I plan to talk with my doctor about how much of a no-no this might be. I've gotten a pill fob to carry my mid-day dose if I get caught away from home, I guess I also will have it if I need morning or dinner time dose, but I'm almost always at home, as I am retired and somewhat close to home person now.