helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
martin g

Sinemet and Vitamin B6 use

My wife is regularly using sinemet for PD.  Her doctor recommends that she also use Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate.  It is reported that Sinemet interferes with P-5-P and that P-5-P interferes with sinemet.  Do you have any recommendation on how she can get the benefits of P-5-P (B6 vitamin) without losing the effectiveness of Sinemet.

First be careful as you can overdose on B6 and get neurological toxicity, so be sure it is not being given excessively.  In low doses the B6 from multivitamins has not impacted Sinemet absorption (to our knowledge).  If you need higher doses then you may need to adjust the Sinemet dose accordingly and based on the PD symptoms....

Dear Dr Okun

Would you give the contents of multiple vitamins/minerals that you recommend to your PD patients? Thank you in advance

I actually just recommend any reasonable multivitamin and I personally do not obsess too much about what the exact contents are....until we have more evidence it is hard to know what to recommend but a single multivitamin a day is a good idea.