helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
otolorin

Non motor symptoms of parkinsons.

Hi eyeryone,

are non-motor symptoms like anxiety and depression debilitating for anyone?If so,how do you cope with these symptoms?Is anyone on antidepressants?Do they help to alleviate the symptoms?.I will like to try as much as possible to minimise the medications.As I am currently on ropinirole 05mg x2 daily to up the dose to 6mg/day in 6wks as a monotherapy.

Your answer will be appreciated..

Depression and anxiety are common non-motor symptoms. You might ask for a referral to a neuropsychologist or rehab psychologist for evaluation. Meds are not always required; sometimes talk therapy with someone who is knowledgeable about PD is helpful. My depression and anxiety hit 20 years before I was diagnosed. I take both an antidepressant and an anti-anxiety medication.

Dianne

• Like 2

Useful advice,will try the non meds treatment first.Does meds work for your anxiety and depression?

Thanks Beau's mom.

Yes, they work quite well. As do the therapy sessions with the rehab psychologist at the Parkinson's Center. I see her monthly when things are going smoothly and more often when I hit a rough patch.

Dianne

I have Dementia with Lewy Bodies, which includes a lot of the Parkinsonian symptoms. I've been on Celexa 40mg for almost a year. I don't really see any benefit, but my wife (who is a family doctor, but not my doctor) thinks Celexa has helped. I'm going to have a nice chat with my neuro on my next visit in a month or so about the usefulness of Celexa or whether something else or nothing might be more useful. I spend large parts of each day in a dark place, which I can live with, but why bother. I'm not going to do anything, but I do wonder how to break into the light.

Never tried antidepressants.I gathered some takes a long time (months) to start working.And some might make one's condition worse if you stop taking them.i guess they work differently for everybody.if only there is a way to cut down on medication cocktails,that would be nice and would reduce side effects.I am sure your wife knows better"BillBRNC".Please break into the light,darkness is not good for depression.

BillBRNC:  Your repeated veiled allusions to committing suicide as a way to beat our diseases closing acts is something many of us have engaged in....making plans, obtaining the means...it is a fair topic for discussion.    Twenty-two years ago, as a newcomer, I  sounded a lot like you.    In  a sense, these past 22 have been far more fulfilling than  the 22 which preceded it.   More later on these matters.

I take cyprplex and it helps . 

I felt the difference at the end of the first week. 

Last year I tried to take half a dose and not only depression came back - my pd symptoms get worse. I was sure I have to increase l/c dosage but it was too small dosage of cypralex that caused it.

Roger, I appreciate your comments. Yes, I have very specific views of suicide or better stated would be withholding of food and hydration unless I ask for it and actually feed myself. I have an Advanced Directive that so states, but who knows if my wife will follow it or the hospice folks will follow it. That said, I also understand and appreciate you veiled comment that you disagree with this, and you sure don't need to explain yourself to me. To each, their own. On the other hand, I am becoming more and more of the view that this entire portion of  my life is just another challenge to be met and dealt with in a manner more successful than in the past. My main concern is my wife and family and leaving them without resources for the future, although I have plenty, but possible not enough. Bottom line: I agree that is  would be best for me to hit this head on and leave the "wow is me" stuff to someone else. Thanks you for your views. Bill.

• Like 1