helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
johnnys

Differences in c/l by brand

Hi Mark

A few weeks ago I ran out of my C/l i got from the VA.The brand had a R239 id mark.I guess it was made by Activis.The new brand is marked CL2 and supposedly made by Mylan.

Now I been struggling with these myoclonic jerks for over two years.They have almost disappeared now .I can"t get them going through fine motor activity.I wanted to let you know  if you heard from others.The only other thing I did was drop my .25 synthroid,I doubt it was the culprit as i had the jerks before.

I have heard of this happening in other patients before and it is one of the more common side effects of C/L. The origin, cause, and incidence is unknown but presents itself as twitching or uncontrolled movements of the arms, hands, and legs. It can also affect the face, lips, and tongue. It is not inclusive of just these parts of the body and can include other parts of the body. This issue may also have have an episode of stiff muscles associated with it. This is something I just wanted to make you aware of.

I hope this helps and keep me posted.

• Like 1

Dr Comes, 

Would it be permissible for you to tell me which generic sinemet you see the fewest complaints about and that you see the most complaints about?  Also,  my CVS says that they can order any brand generic that I want but that they typically carry TEVA.  ???  I thought TEVA had been sold to another company (????)    Bottom line is that I'm going on Medicare in July and must find a generic.  I started taking generics about 9 years ago when I started C/L but  had to switch to brand labels because of prohibitive costs.  Can you make any suggestions as to what I might try first?  I've also heard that the doc can write Medicare and ask for label approval -- but  if granted, do you know how much it would cost??  Thanks for any help/advice that might help!  And thank you once again for all that you do.

The generic company that I have heard the least amount of complaints and has also worked the best for me. It may differ from patient to patient and if someone does need to switch generic companies, they may only have to make minor changes to the regime (such as timing as far ass when to take it ti limit the "off" experience.

As far as the cost of the medication once you go on Medicare will also very from patient to patient. Each Medicare patient will have a particular Medicare Part D (D for Drugs) from which to choose from. Once you find out who the Medicare Part D company is, You should call them and find out (1) which generic brands they will cover, (2) do they cover a 90 day supply (if so, is there a price break for receiving a 90 day supply as opposed to a 30 day supply, (3) how much will it cost for a 30 day and a 90 day supply (if it offered), and lastly find out if you are able to get your prescriptions filled at your local pharmacy or must you go through their Mail Order pharmacy.

I hope this helps and please keep me osted.

If anyone could help KLMDOC it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

I personally can only take Mylan.  My on/off is much smoother, side effects reduced.  Couldn't tell you why, but the Activas Elizabeth damn near killed me.  I think my stomach acid dissolves it too easily and was slamming it into my system.

As far as hearing complaints about the different generic brands, I have only individuals state what works best for them and it is usually a hit or miss tactic or trial by error. What has complicated now is that TEVA Generics has acquired Actavis Generics for a about $41 Billion dollars. The confusion comes in because it appears that when the pharmacy orders Actavis generic they are still getting the TEVA tablets. I have contacted both companies and neither one of them tell me if eventually all will be under TEVA or Actavis names.

I personally have been taking the Mylan generic of the CR (controlled Release) and it has worked well for me. A friend of mine has taken the Mylan brand and has had many gaps in his "on/off" times. I also take the Regular Sinemet (also know as Sinemet IR for Immediate Release) to help with off periods between Sinemet CR doses, and the TEVA brand seems to work best for me. 

I would have to tell you it is probably going to be a trial and error. One thing to remember is that there may not be any brand that will completely rid you of all of your symptoms throughout the day. This is the price we pay when our system cannot give us a constant supply of dopamine and we have to regulate it ourselves.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

MCOMES,

TEVA acquired ACTAVIS  but then sold the rights to the ACTAVIS and TEVA carbibopa/levodopa generics to MAYNE PHARMA.  I believe MAYNE pharma is only producing the ACTAVIS generic and the TEVA pill is not available anywhere.

http://www.drugstorenews.com/article/mayne-pharma-closes-acquisition-teva-allergan-products

https://www.maynepharma.com/products/us-products/generic-products/new-products/new-ndc-numbers/

the MAYNE website cross references the TEVA ndc's to new MAYNE ndc's but if you look at pictures of the MAYNE tablet it is the ACTAVIS tablet.

this package insert states the MAYNE pill is made by ACTAVIS

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=a67f0f76-97b7-4149-9711-4748de152910&audience=consumer

i may be wrong but i believe the TEVA 25/100 tablet is not being manufactured.  i did very well with the TEVA generic and preferred it to the ACTAVIS and the MYLAN.  I tried actual SINEMET and i did better with the TEVA.   I think the MYLAN 25/100  generic is SINEMET, i think MYLAN makes it for MERCK.  The tablets are identical except the MYLAN is scored and  sinemet isn't.

This correct. In the scenario I was using for the individual, I was trying to make it as simple as possible.

Thank you. I am sure this will help many people.

Hi Mark

If anyone is interest where their drug came from I would check the NDC# listed in the prescription.In Activis alone there were 4 sub companies.Im not sure if they actually make the drug or just distribute them.I think many of the drugs use come from Golden State medical supply.Its a very complex subject.ZI did try contacting the FDA without much help .The drug company Activis while they took down my experience never followed up with me personaly.

Thanks again for your help in this matter.

best

john

John, 

Unfortunately I have had the same experience with the DEA and trying to get the exacts on if the companies are manufacturing, rebranding, or just selling out of the aquired product so then they can produce there own.

as far as the NDC # goes, here is an explanation of what it represents:

An example of an NDC # is: 11111-2222-33.

- The first 5 digits of the NDC # represent the manufacturer (ie. TEVA, Mylan, etc...)

- The next 4 digits of the NDC # represents the product (ie. Azilect 1 mg., Sinemet 25/100, etc...)

- The last 2 digits of the NDC represent the original package size the medication came from (ie. 02 can represent a bottle size of 100)

Here are some Manufacturer Codes (the first 5 digits) that I retrieved from Drugs.com that may help you:

00228 Actavis

16729 Accord Healthcare

68084 Amerisource Health Services

60505 Apotex Corporation

57664 Caraco Pharmaceutical Company

60951 Endo Pharmaceuticals

58177 Ethex Corporation

00115 Global Pharmaceuticals

60429 Golden State Medical Supply (Repackager)

51862 Libertas Pharma

00904 Major Pharmaceuticals

63739 McKesson Service (Repackager)

00378 Mylan Pharmaceuticals

54868 Physicians Total Care Inc. (Repacackager)

62756 Sun Pharmaceuticals

47335 Sun Pharma Global FZE

00093 TEVA Pharmaceuticals

51079 UDL Laboratories

64679 Wockhardt Limited

This number should be printed on the prescription label that is placed on the bottle. It can also be found on the Patient information sheet.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted if you need anything else.