helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
BillBRNC

Question About Bedtime Dosage

I soon will be taking 2 pills (25/100) 30 minutes prior to the three meals of the day. I have found that I generally wake up with pain in my hips, knees, and ankles, and sometimes other places during the middle of the night. What would be the minimum dosage of Sinemet CR I should think about at bedtime. Of course, I plan to discuss this with my doctor, but I just wanted an idea, and I just assume CR is the best thing for night time, but I could be wrong. Thanks.

Edited by BillBRNC

I've heard that many PWPs horde Sinemet tablets as their disease progresses and pills seem to be essential to locomotion.  I certainly did this before my neurologist came to what is now, I believe, the widely shared practice of allowing the rational patient as many as s/he needs.  I was knocking back 17 to 20 before DBS.  Post surgery I take three to five half tablets during waking hours.  I just went into my stash and discovered a bottle of 25-250 - a configuration I don't believe is marketed in the U.S. any longer.  The bottle does not say it is extended release.  For the past two nights I've taken one before lying downand am quite pleased with the outcome.

I don't take any at night, but I would think that one 25/100 would be sufficient either at bedtime or when you wake at night. There have been a few times that I have taken a half a dose to fall back to sleep.

I had my 2nd visit with my Parkinson's neurologist.

After hearing about my sleep problems, he adjusted my med schedule.

Without adding any new doses, I am now taking some form of sinemet every 4 hours.

Regular sinemet during day and then go to bed with a CR dose. When I awake 4 hrs later, I will take a 2nd CR

I hope this helps me sleep the whole night

Well, I took my first two full pills 25/100 last night before dinner, and like before when I added a half pill, I got totally wiped out and was in bed within 30 minutes. Did not sleep all that much, but I feel fine now. my left leg and hip hurt all night, but the all else fine. All fine this morning an hour or more after morning dose. I intend to talk with doc about sleeping hours. The dang pain wakes me up, but I can live with it rather than mess up everything else that is working ok. We shall see. I like the idea of taking one when I decided I need it when I wake up, but I fear the slippery slope of that one. Anyway, thanks for the info. Seems there is not firm or even general rule on this. Oh, musicman, I know all about the mind not shutting down. Big problem for me, but oddly I mostly end up with the same song going through my brain over an over, which is fine if it is a good tune.

Edited by BillBRNC