helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnys

adverse effects of generic carbidopa

11 posts in this topic

Hello

I ve been struggling with myoclonic jerks now for over two years.Im taking a total of about 600mg c/l daily .About three weeks ago I started a new prescription (different manufacturer )The old script was made by Activis(imprint R539) the new Mylan pharmucetuals(Imprint CL2).It took over a week but my myoclonus has gotten alot better and I also have less dystonia which often came with the jerks.others have mentioned other adverse reactions besides involuntary movements)

Any input welcome.

best

john

Edited by john14505

Hi John,  I had myoclonic jerks of the jaw before dx (I didn't know what they were at the time and referred to them as jaw tremor).  The Sinemet took care of them.  Recently, I've been experimenting with reducing my medication and have noticed a return of the jaw jerks.  They happen most frequently when I am eating or talking.  I have come close to cracking my front tooth.  I would like to know more about the prevalence of these movements in PD but can find very little information when searching the internet.  Do you experience them in your mouth?  Take care, Gardener

On 3/15/2017 at 11:53 AM, Gardener said:

Hi John,  I had myoclonic jerks of the jaw before dx (I didn't know what they were at the time and referred to them as jaw tremor).  The Sinemet took care of them.  Recently, I've been experimenting with reducing my medication and have noticed a return of the jaw jerks.  They happen most frequently when I am eating or talking.  I have come close to cracking my front tooth.  I would like to know more about the prevalence of these movements in PD but can find very little information when searching the internet.  Do you experience them in your mouth?  Take care, Gardener

hI GARDNER

Mine are more in the arms and shoulder shrugs.Well for the past three weeks they have settled down to seldom occurrences. Im still hoping the change in prescription  did the trick.

Gardener-I have experienced them in my jaw before. My jaw would clamp together so fast and hard that I began worrying about biting my tongue.  I have also had whole body jerks while lying down.  These kinds have subsided significantly and now I just get the rare hand or arm jump but they are much milder.  I also still get the occasional lip and chin tremor.

my full body jerks (& dystonia) are what made me see a doc.  I started mirapex & sinemet (both generic versions) a year ago and that helped a lot. 

Recently, it seemed like the jerks were increasing in frequency.  Since changing from mirapex to Neupro patch (2 days ago) I have almost no jerking!

Since I have started taking C/L I think I have had every manufacture that has made it. Currently Wegmans Pharmacy here in NY has put me back to TEVA C/L. Since I have been back on this brand I have noticed that it kicks in a little slower and I get a slightly more dystonia in my hands. I also get more twitches and restless leg syndrome before my ER kicks in at night. Thankfully my last scrip that was refilled, Wegmans has switched back to SunPharma brand C/L. I have found that for me this one kicks in relatively fast and I have less issue with leg twitches and dystonia.

I don't remember having issues when I was on Mylan's version either. Been awhile since I have used Mylan.    

1 person likes this

Adam,

The drugs should be fairly close  carbidopa ingredients.I know there are different inert ingredients but I doubt they cause so much disparity.I have a outside doctor who works with drug problems and he says the problem more has to do with where they are made. Actavis brand was made either in China or India.The FDA does not have the capability to check these facilities due to budget constraints.USA reported a large surge in yesterdays paper on complaints  with side effects on drugs.

At least I know the Mylan brand can be relied on,so far,keep my fingers crossed.lol

For others who are doing as well I wonder what they might be taking also.

Thanks for the info John. One of the things my pharmacist explained about generics made some sense. The C/L can be different in how fast the inert ingredients break down in the gut releasing the active ingredients. He explained that this may cause the difference in the speed each drug kicks in. So far the difference in all the brands I have had are very minor and I may be trying to blame the brand for my evening twitches before bed.  

Blessings

Adam

Edited by adams234

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, Gardener said:

I also have the jerks of the jaw.  Was taking Ropinirole and just switched to C/L this week so hopefully they will get better.

Mine always happened at night.  I wear an oral appliance for sleep apnea.  If anyone knows how these work, they basically lock your jaw into a "set" position with two metal clips.  My jerks were bad enough that I would unlock the mouthpiece in my sleep and wake up in a panic.  Very painful!!!  Haven't talked to my MDS about this yet, but will get her opinion at my next appt.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

I also have the jerks of the jaw.  Was taking Ropinirole and just switched to C/L this week so hopefully they will get better.

Mine always happened at night.  I wear an oral appliance for sleep apnea.  If anyone knows how these work, they basically lock your jaw into a "set" position with two metal clips.  My jerks were bad enough that I would unlock the mouthpiece in my sleep and wake up in a panic.  Very painful!!!  Haven't talked to my MDS about this yet, but will get her opinion at my next appt.

Hi Luke

I haven't had any jerks pertaining to my jaw.Mine usually came after I stopped movement.They have gotten much better since switching brands of c/l.

The shock like pain before they came also has diminished.

I thought the brand that gave me trouble(imprint R539 was Actavis.Since then I found there are many sources which use the same imprint.

Drug stores shop around through many dealers for the best price.The customer never knows who makes itor how good it is..

Why this certain pill gave me so much problems( I might never know?I just hope it doesnt happen again

This experience has made me question the drugs Ill be using as while one brand may work and another not so well.

My panic when waking up is minimal as long as Im using my CPAC for sleep apnea.I did hear the new belt you can wear to prevent you sleeping on your back works well also.

john