helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Quietstill

Pay attention.

43 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

Discussion has obviously been discouraged, but this is important.  You may or may not care about the 14 million losing their insurance next year, (and yes, I will be one as I am in the open market and am in my 50s with a pre-existing condition), but the following year, 2020 is vital.  That is when the 880 billion permanent cut occurs of Medicaid (corrected, see below) funding, and coincidentally, the same year an 880 billion tax break is given to the extremely wealthy.

Nursing homes will suffer.  No more opiod addiction treatment.  No more PT, except for immediate gain (broken leg, post surgery).  Read the CBO report.  It is interesting.

Good luck.

ETA--sorry, sorry, sorry.  I spent so much time working out the correct figures, that I wrote "medicare" not MEDICAID.  I've corrected the post.  My apologies.

Edited by Quietstill
wrote medicare, not medicaid
2 people like this

There has been no discouragement of discussion relevant to Parkinson's disease.  Health care and insurance is obviously relevant and, in my view, therefore, welcome. 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, miracleseeker said:

Sure thing as long as it doesn't spread to bashing our president again.

Sigh.  No one ever did on any thread I was on.  Why does draconian cuts to the poor and ill among us bring the president to mind?  The issue remains: What type of country do you want to live in?

I choose tolerance, compassion for others, and open minded discussion.

2 people like this

I'm sure glad we can all agree on this, as I for one don't come here to read a bunch of political claptrap.

3 people like this

I must be dimmer than I thought cause all I got out of the thread that was locked up was about what is wrong with our country and how the past and current president is making it worse.  Ok then.

Isn't it interesting how our perspectives differ?  Unfortunately our health care is directly influenced by politics.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of those in positions of power would sit down together, pull together the best information from those who deliver healthcare, those who receive healthcare, those who research healthcare, costs, outcomes, etc.. with the ultimate goal in mind of delivering good healthcare to everyone and come up with a solution, taking politics and self interest from all sectors out of it. If this happened, most of us would accept, agree, and be happy.

3 people like this

The issue here is whether a person can wait until they're seriously sick to obtain insurance.  Can a person wait until their house is on fire to obtain fire insurance and then expect someone else to pay for it? 

1 person likes this

The issue is actually Medicaid.  A $880 billion permanent cut to short term nursing home care (after hospitalization), long term nursing home care, respite care, physical therapy, home health care aides, hospice and respite services, hoyer lifts and hospital beds for the home, wheelchairs, drugs.  That's just for the PD population.

If you want further info for addiction services, psychiatric treatment, children's coverage, pregnancy, homeless vet care, go to https://www.medicaid.gov/

The issue is the deep cuts to the elderly, sick, very young, and disabled among us.

1 person likes this

One of the keys to saving Medicaid is to make every recipient pay some sort of co-pay.  When people pay nothing, they have no incentive to conserve.  When I go to the doctor, I know that I'm going to pay 20%.  If the doctor charges $200, then I pay $40.  I do not go to the doctor unless I really need to.  Many people on Medicaid go to the doctor or ER for very minor things because it costs them nothing (I'm paying for it). 

3 people like this

59 minutes ago, PatriotM said:

One of the keys to saving Medicaid is to make every recipient pay some sort of co-pay.  When people pay nothing, they have no incentive to conserve.  When I go to the doctor, I know that I'm going to pay 20%.  If the doctor charges $200, then I pay $40.  I do not go to the doctor unless I really need to.  Many people on Medicaid go to the doctor or ER for very minor things because it costs them nothing (I'm paying for it). 

Patriot, you may be right.  I don't know.  I know with my DH with Parkinson's, we have not overused the system.  We are on Medicare and not Medicaid. He has had home health care and he is now on hospice, but managing without it would have been extremely difficult to impossible.  I rarely see a doctor even with no co-pay with Medicare and a supplement. In fact, I probably wait too long to see a doctor which creates its own set of problems. I don't know people who overuse the system.  There are likely some, but how many, who, and why, I don't know.

There are trained researchers who can compile this information.  My son is a Ph.D Medical Bioinformaticist working for a hospital.  His job is to research whatever the hospital needs in regards to patient care and costs.  We operate on personal observation and assumed information and neither may be accurate.  When we get serious about quality healthcare for all  and compile provable information on which to base decisions and policy, we will be much closer to a workable solution.  

3 people like this

I wonder if all the cuts to the older population is possibly a sign that the government is planning to enforce euthanasia earlier in a dying person's life when there is no hope of recovery?  I read something about that somewhere recently.  I don't understand otherwise why all the cuts are being made?  What are people supposed to do?  Die sooner for lack of being able to get medical care, thus solving the problem? 

Quietstill, I've been thinking of you a lot lately when hearing all of the cuts, knowing how very worried and concerned you have been for some time now.  You have lots of company, unfortunately.

What happened to Trump's promises to the middle and poor classes on everything?  We're getting the boot (and the bills). 

Sorry. Small rant there. :-) 

Edited by Linda Garren

On 3/16/2017 at 7:55 AM, Quietstill said:

The issue is actually Medicaid.  A $880 billion permanent cut to short term nursing home care (after hospitalization), long term nursing home care, respite care, physical therapy, home health care aides, hospice and respite services, hoyer lifts and hospital beds for the home, wheelchairs, drugs.  That's just for the PD population.

If you want further info for addiction services, psychiatric treatment, children's coverage, pregnancy, homeless vet care, go to https://www.medicaid.gov/

The issue is the deep cuts to the elderly, sick, very young, and disabled among us.   Quiet, why do you think this is?

On 3/15/2017 at 7:54 PM, genden69 said:

Isn't it interesting how our perspectives differ?  Unfortunately our health care is directly influenced by politics.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of those in positions of power would sit down together, pull together the best information from those who deliver healthcare, those who receive healthcare, those who research healthcare, costs, outcomes, etc.. with the ultimate goal in mind of delivering good healthcare to everyone and come up with a solution, taking politics and self interest from all sectors out of it. If this happened, most of us would accept, agree, and be happy.

Ding, ding, ding!!!  You are so right. And that actually did start being done several years ago.  My dear boss at Johns Hopkins was a leader in conceptualizing and beginning the effort.   I remember his going to D.C., to present his ideas, but have no idea where it all stands at this point.  We lost him to UCSF several years ago.  Just FYI, here are the things he focused on which are essentially what you mention above.

Research Interests

• Prevention and Screening, Epidemiology and Health Services Research of Chronic Kidney Disease and other Chronic Disease: (Cardiovascular Disease, Endocrine and Related Disorders)
  • Disparities in Health and Health Care
  • Decision Making Regarding Resource Allocation in Health and Health Care
  • Value of Preventive Interventions
  • Quality of Health Care
  • Biotechnology (recombinant human erythropoietin) and Imaging Technology
  • Effectiveness and Outcomes
  • Technology Assessment
  • Cost-effectiveness Analysis and Economic Evaluations
  • Evidence-based Practice and Meta-analysis

I think this may be the organization that could be a resource for anyone interested in or having questions about the effort--AHRQ (Agency for Healthcare Research Quality).

Also, another initiative that I think has been going on (but not sure how it is working) is for all docs for a patient to meet together (locally or on line, I would guess) to share information on a patient so as to get the patient's complete medical profile understood and information shared.  II think this may have many implications in better outcomes.  One of my problems re: my own medical picture is that I have 4 diagnoses for other things as well as PD.   It is nearly impossible for my docs to have all necessary information from each other to provide the best treatment for a patient overall. Added to that is the drawback of conventional docs not usually also being trained in natural products that may possibly help a patient so that fewer meds could be used, and so that the body would not have to take in as many unnatural meds. .

Edited by Linda Garren

On 3/16/2017 at 9:52 AM, PatriotM said:

One of the keys to saving Medicaid is to make every recipient pay some sort of co-pay.  When people pay nothing, they have no incentive to conserve.  When I go to the doctor, I know that I'm going to pay 20%.  If the doctor charges $200, then I pay $40.  I do not go to the doctor unless I need to.  Many people on Medicaid go to the doctor or ER for very minor things because it costs them nothing (I'm paying for it). 

I think you are exactly right, Patriot.  Good post.

Linda

I have been absent.  You, in particular of all people here, have been in my thoughts. 

First of all, as for Death Panels, I was so offended by that portrayal in the talking points over the Affordable Care Act that I never really addressed it.  Hospice can be a wonderful thing.  The ACA made it accessible to people, and allowed them to drop in and out of that category at any time with no limits (other than having an incurable disease).  The original 'death panel' talk was a scare tactic as medical groups had to agree you had an incurable disease.  Struggling through hospice care with my father in the '80s, and then with my mother in the '90s, when the ACA passed, I was a strong proponent of hospice as offered under that bill.  It worked.  My good friend with PSP had a better death a year ago under the ACA auspices than was possible for either of my parents pre-ACA.  So the current 'repeal and replace'?  I will fight to the death against what they are proposing.  Period.  I do not think they are proposing that old 'boogeyman' they ascribed to the ACA, but it is not well thought out, dignified, or helpful. I actually think it is designed to have people drop off medicaid and die in obscurity, in squalor, with no help or dignity.  I used to think Paul Ryan was just misinformed or stupid, but now I almost approach thinking him heartless and evil.  I can not have sympathy with a man who boasts of sitting around in college over a 'kegger' and dreaming of getting rid of people on medicaid.

As for co-pays for Medicaid to make 'those people stop wasting money'?  Turns out that's not necessary.  New studies show they don't access health care unless it is really needed, unlike people who get their healthcare through their employer or through the private exchange.  Probably because they are working too hard, can't take the time off work (8/10 have jobs), unless they are desperately ill, or their child is sick.  So a co-pay means they lose twice; taking time off work, and paying the co-pay.

As for me?  Well, this was fun: talking to DH about how I might have to divorce him once the ACA disappears.  I have a pre-exsisting condition.  I am over 50.  If they get rid of the protections for pre-existing conditions (today's proposal), I will not be able to get insurance.  If they keep pre-existing conditions, but make insurance for people over 50 five times the normal cost (last month's proposal), I will not be able to afford insurance.  If I get seriously ill with no coverage, that will wipe us out.  I have to protect my DH's ability to be cared for in a decent matter.  If we are not married, they cannot go after the money set aside for his care.  Hence the heart breaking talk about divorce.  Some country, huh?

I have thought about many Trump supporters in the last few months, and felt betrayed on their behalf with what has occurred in policy plans.

I just can't understand so much about what is happening in the decisions about medical care, Quietstill. So many cuts re: the environmental protections are another head scratcher.   I'm not as up on details as you are in a lot of these things, nor do I have very good understanding of the processes like you seem to.  All I know is that as time is going on, Trump is being more directed and controlled by those around him who know what they are doing.  He's sort of like a puppet in my eyes, having his strings pulled this way and that by those who are in real control.  Especially so, it seems to me, in the last week or so.

It is a very difficult and unsettling time, and I'll pray for you and so many others who are facing such awful fears.  We all are concerned about what is happening.  One thing to try to keep in mind is that the ACA was crumbling, with companies pulling out, individuals pulling out over not being able to afford it, our national debt through the roof, co-pays and cost of plans increasing exponentially...  Something has had to be done about it.  It's unsustainable.

Trump's manner doesn't help.  The way he has done things shows vindictiveness, bullying, lack of care for others, lack of bringing us together as a country, and we could go on and on.

I'm not sure I'm following all you have tried to convey in your post, so if there is something I haven't responded to, please let me know.  Specifically, are you angry at me?  :-)

With care and concern for you, Quiet,

Linda

1 person likes this

Trump is all you said Linda and more.......immature, spoiled, erratic and a narcissist!  Very poor qualities for a leader of our country!

and later, I'll tell you how I really feel!!  Lol!

16 hours ago, ellaangel2 said:

Trump is all you said Linda and more.......immature, spoiled, erratic and a narcissist!  Very poor qualities for a leader of our country!

and later, I'll tell you how I really feel!!  Lol!

LOLl!!!!!  I'm with you on that.  Sooo much.  It's unfortunate that Trump's' father is the one who instilled that he had to win at things--no matter what.  I really feel for his children, especially Ivanka.  He destroyed her very successful fashion business by acting like he has.  Stores stopped selling her products.

If (when?) Trump is impeached, does Pence automatically step up, or will the Dems fight that Hillery really won?  I seem to recall reading that two selected individuals from both sides of the aisle meet in a case like that to decide in some way.  Can anyone shed light on this?

:-) 

Edited by Linda Garren

Mike Pence, then Paul Ryan.  Trump is our President.  I have said that from the beginning.  Besides impeachment is a legal (or it should be!) proceedure that the Congress itself has to initiate.  Maybe they'll pick Representative Nunnes to look into it.  Snort.

My focus is on what do we want America to be?  What type of country?  Leaders are not as important as the will of the country's people.

1 person likes this

I do not want to engage in political ideology.  

However, "pay attention" to the words, "lower costs".  That term essentially means more regulations on providers.  More regs...less providers.  Not always the answer we want.  Sometimes,you don't want what you pray for.  Spoken by a person who has managed a medical fascility for 30 years and worked alot with medicare.  Note how many providers are. Refusing medicare patients?

Just sayin'

NN

3 hours ago, New normal said:

I do not want to engage in political ideology.  

However, "pay attention" to the words, "lower costs".  That term essentially means more regulations on providers.  More regs...less providers.  Not always the answer we want.  Sometimes,you don't want what you pray for.  Spoken by a person who has managed a medical fascility for 30 years and worked alot with medicare.  Note how many providers are. Refusing medicare patients?

Just sayin'

NN

Hi, NN.  When you say providers are refusing Medicare patients, do you mean they will not see them?  Or do you mean that they "don't participate in Medicare" (which just means that they accept Medicare's payment for their services, but that the patient must pay the balance that Medicare did not cover)?

5 hours ago, Quietstill said:

Mike Pence, then Paul Ryan.  Trump is our President.  I have said that from the beginning.  Besides impeachment is a legal (or it should be!) proceedure that the Congress itself has to initiate.  Maybe they'll pick Representative Nunnes to look into it.  Snort.

My focus is on what do we want America to be?  What type of country?  Leaders are not as important as the will of the country's people.

Quiet, I'm forwarding some pages from TheHill that speak of this issue.  It seems that one way or the other, most people realize that something has to be done about Trump.  It's a sad, sad situation, but it does seem that both parties feel things are awful under Trump.  http://thehill.com/opinion/letters/327279-low-approval-will-drive-trump-to-resign-before-he-is-impeached.

13 minutes ago, Linda Garren said:

Quiet, I'm forwarding some pages from TheHill that speak of this issue.  It seems that one way or the other, most people realize that something has to be done about Trump.  It's a sad, sad situation, but it does seem that both parties feel things are awful under Trump.  http://thehill.com/opinion/letters/327279-low-approval-will-drive-trump-to-resign-before-he-is-impeached.

LOL!!!