helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Lu States

just double checking my earlier question

Lu States    83

is NO ONE on methadone for pain mgt. but myself ( well will be soon ) ?   i really want to hear what a user for pain thinks......so popping the question up one more time just to see if i get an answer.   maybe i will be the guinea pig that will let others know........    sorry to bother.      lu

DaveN    425

Lu,

I live with chronic pain but I'm not taking methadone. I have read it's a very effective pain medication. You need to set aside the stigma of what they normally use the drug for.  Give it a try. It's my understanding that it's a very inexpensive drug for pain relief.

Dave

Lu States    83

thanks for writing.....i am not too concerned with the stigma, except all i can find about methadone relates to getting off heroin. can find NOTHING online about use for pain, hoped i could find one person, somewhere. i just wanted to know if anyone else has been on it, and what they think of it for relieving pain.   it is so odd to be the first to take something for pain on THIS site........everybody on here seem to take as many drugs as i do !  just wanted information on personal use.     like i said, thank you for replying, i appreciate it.    lu

Rogerstar1    385

I'm thinking that your pain is  dystonia or related perhaps to arthritis (joint pain).  Not certain my assumption is correct that dystonia, primarily,  is in the soft or connective tissue between muscle and joint (ligaments?).  That is where my pain seems to radiate from with all manner of clicks and audible snaps as well. Muscles that need to be working in unison stop doing so or do so only painfully.  Usually worse in the afternoon and evenings and somewhat treatable by additional Sinemet. I shall be interested in hearing how your trials with methadone works out.  As my neurologist points out to me, the pain may in fact be arthritis as I have the factor in my blood that I will, in time have arthritis.  He recommends common aspirin or Tylenol, saving more powerful painkillers for later, if needed. 

Edited by Rogerstar1
spelling

sunbird    24

Lu, there's plenty on the Internet concerning methadone use for pain. Go to Google and just type in "methadone for pain" and you'll be directed to many articles/websites on the subject. I have no knowledge whatsoever of the use of methadone for pain, but I did come across an interesting paper in which the author says  Over the past 20 years there has been renewed interest in using methadone as an analgesic—raising concerns about its safety. This educational review discusses the efficacy and safety of methadone when used in chronic pain management. 

Lu States    83

thank you, i will.  i only saw methadone for heroin treatment......which is fine and dandy, but doesn't address my needs.     if it doesn't work, or i don't like it, i am sure my pain mgt. dr. will change to something else.........hopefully.         thanks again, lu

Lu States    83

rogerstar.....missed your post.  will let you know.....i have no idea where the spinal pain comes from ( have an MRI scheduled for monday ), but i have fibromyalgia and RLS, both of which are treated, and have some relation to, PD.    it will be a few weeks before i start, because i still have norco, and i drive a disabled child on occasion, and watch over two teenage girls, also on occasion, so i am sticking with something i know first.  then i will schedule a couple of days where my needs are few, and can check out the methadone.   i appreciate your imput,  lu

Edited by Lu States