helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
MusicMan

Generic Azilect

14 posts in this topic

I have been using the generic azilect for 6 days now, and I feel like absolute SH*T. Dizzy, feel like my legs are gonna give out, tired, brain fog. This new pill is the only thing different I have been doing, so I have to assume that's what it is.

Anyone else having issues with the generic?

Hmm, that su***, sorry. I hope you feel better soon and figure out that it's not the generic.

Thanks for your post, MusicMan.

I see that you were using the original Azilect nearly three years before trying the generic.  I have been taking it even longer, so I appreciate the warning your experience gives.  My 20-year case of PD still is not advancing beyond the first stage, much to my amazement, and I'm operating on the principle of not rocking the boat.  I did not know a generic of Azilect was available, but now I would be hesitant to try it.

I hope that either your body adjusts to this new pill or that you can return to the old course of meds.  Thank you again -- this sort of sharing is one of the values of forums.  And please keep us posted on your case.

J

Some people can take either but I think name brand is best for all medications.  Nothing beats the real deal.

I just found the name brand (Teva) from Canada, 90 pills for $308, so I ordered it.

I experienced the same thing! I've not been as good as I was taking the brand name for almost 4 years.  It has leveled off some but for the first week I was miserable. I have issues with generic med's in the past. I was taking brand name Requip ER and had to switch to the generic. I was doing great on the brand name. Haven't been nearly as good with the generic. But who can afford the name brands anymore. I'm very frustrated . I started Sinemet in March of last year and feel if I could have stayed on the name brand Requip I would not have had to start the Sinemet. I am taking generic Carbo/Levo CR 25/100 4 x a day along with the generic Azilect and generic Requip. The CL CR works well but is unpredictable alot of the times and I hate that.. I"m going to check on the price of the name brand because I'm pretty sure based on my experience with the other 2 and name brand that the SInemet CR name brand would work better. Nobody can ever convince me that generics are the same . I am sure there are just some of us that are more sensitive to generics but we shouldn't have to choose something that doesn't work as well . The pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies sure don't care about the person that is suffering as long as they are making money. 

Edited by AQHA270
adding sentence

An interesting article from 2015'-

I tend to be very sensitive to the fillers in medications as well. I was feeling a bit off for a few days when I started the Rasagaline. Plus my pharmacy changed generic brands of carb/levo. They had mixed some in with the old, so I didnt notice it, until I was left with just the new.

I have adjusted to both. 

In a recent University of Cincinnati study published in Neurology, subjects with Parkinson’s Disease were given shots of two supposedly similar medications. They were told that the first was more expensive, and the second was similar in effectiveness but, because of differences in manufacturing, was much cheaper. The overall result was that patients’ motor skills after the first shot were improved 28% compared to the second shot. The one fact that the patients weren’t told: Both shots were actually just saline solution. Study authors believe patients got better because they had very high expectations, which translated into health benefits.

There has been a lot of debate about the use of generic drugs vs. brand names. Are generics really as effective? It pays to be informed since, according to the FDA, “nearly 8 in 10 prescriptions filled in the United States are for generic drugs. The use of generic drugs is expected to grow over the next few years as a number of popular drugs come off patent through 2015.”

What is the difference between generics and brand names? Is there a time when one is preferable over the other? We spoke with C. Michael White, Pharm.D., Professor and Head, Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Connecticut, to get an explanation:

Q: Why are brand names so much more expensive than generics?
A: “Unlike the generic manufacturer, the original pharmaceutical company has to pay for more than just the actual production of that medication. The Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development estimates that the cost to develop and win marketing approval for a new drug is $2.6 billion. It also pays for research and development for medications that failed in trials and can’t be brought to market. According to the IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics, generics have saved Americans one trillion dollars in health care savings over the past decade—a current rate of more than one billion dollars in savings every other day.”

Q: What happens when a brand name goes generic?
A: “At the end of an approximately seven-year period of exclusivity, the FDA allows one specific generic to be the first to market. That generic is given a period of time of exclusivity for about six months. At the end of that time period, any manufacturer that can prove that it can achieve the same drug concentrations in the blood that the brand name does can make a generic. Manufacturers of generics aren’t required to do studies in people to prove safety. It is assumed that if they can achieve same blood concentration, they will achieve same results.”

Q: Do generics have to have the same recipe, effect, side effects?
A: “The generics have to have the number of milligrams of drug that is included on the label in the pills. You can take it to the bank that that does not vary. In addition, the pill needs to get you within 10 percent above or below the blood concentrations achieved with the brand for the FDA to approve the generic, and in reality, they only usually vary by 3-4 percent in one direction or another. So yes, they are very similar in terms of the active ingredient. It is possible that one generic will get you a 3 percent lower concentration than the brand and another can get you a concentration that is 3 percent above the brand and therefore the two generics can be 6% different from each other. Most people will never notice a difference.

“According to the FDA, generic drugs do not need to contain the same inactive ingredients as the brand name product. Inactive ingredients are those that have nothing to do with the therapeutic action of the drug; binding materials, dyes, preservatives, and flavoring agents. That’s why sometimes a pill you have been taking will suddenly look different. It usually means a different manufacturer has made that pill than the one you had before. Also, given individual variations, a person can have an allergic reaction to an inactive ingredient in one generic and not another.”

1 person likes this

I have been taking about 80% of a full pill for the last 3 days and am handling it better. I'll probably just get used to the generic, then my name brand will come in from Canada and I'll go thru it all over again...

One thing I learned going thru the Clonazepam 6 month ordeal was/is to keep a journal. I re read your post and a red light went on for me when you said you felt like your legs were going to give out. So I read my journal and I had 21/2 weeks of feeling like crap, the worst symptom that brought me to my Pcp and Neuro was weak legs, especially in my shins.,

My tremors are in my legs, not my hands or arms, so leg pain weakness was awful. I thought about the generic Azilect not being as effective for tremor, but didn't connect it to the other crappy symptoms. And as I mentioned before the change to generic Azilect, my pharmacy changed from generic TEVA carb/Levo to a less expensive generic C/L, and I had 3 days of constant tremor. Lost 4lbs. 

I guess it took a bit to get used to them, I wonder just what that means, when your body initially reacts negatively, is that a warning sign???? I hate DRUGS!

Thanks for speaking up and listing your symptoms, being specific is so important. 

We just had 13" of the white stuff.....Ugh...

I recently switched from Azilect to the generic. It was awful the first week and I thought it was a little better. But in between my doses of Carb/Levo CR 25/100 I get internal and external tremors and feel awful. I know it's med related. I've had issures with generic ropinerole and finally found a manufacture that wasn't too bad. It got bad again when I got a new refill of my generic CL . Once that kicks in Im pretty good but as soon as things wear off back come the tremors and awful feeling. I'm even wondering if I got a bad refill of the CL ? .  A month ago I could function in between doses...now I shake so bad and feel like crap. I am seeing a new MDS on the 19th. I"ve not been happy for a year with my med's . A year ago I was doing really well on Name brand   Requip XL and Azilect. Insurance made me switch to the generic Ropinerole. I went thru hell finding a generic of that that worked as well. So I started the CL in CR form. 25/100 .  Titrated up to 4 x a day along with 12 mg of ropinrole ER and the generic Azilect. The CR works but somedays I have times where it doesn't kick in for 2 hrs and sometimes I feel like too much kicks and other times not enough. I questioned the CR in the first place which is what prompted me to get an appt with the new MDS.  The last one would not listen to me and let me try the Immediate Release to see if I could get some more consistency. So hoping I get somewhere with the new one. I know all my side effects and issues are med related. I obviously have problems with generics but who can afford the name brands? 

Edited by AQHA270
spelling

Hey MM, who did you order the Azilect from? Can you post link please...

It's $300 CDN per 30 days so you got a rockin' deal....

Cheers

D

How do you send a pm? Having trouble navigating the new site!

discovery, my DH and I will be in BC next month and will be going through the okanagan valley - any recommendations of must see/do?

twitchy mama