helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
LAD

A little something to think about

Twitchy mama    44

Ditto for me - 15 day trip through the Rockies with lots of hiking and only had one tough day. But I've been pretty tired since getting home and tomorrow we head tothe lake in Ontario for the summer. It's good to look ahead to fun things!

twitchy mama

• Like 1

LAD    215

MusicMan & SoCalGal & all you other adventurers!!!! Keep on exploring & conquering!

34155484734_a458efa52a_m.jpg

Edited by LAD

LAD    215
On 4/22/2017 at 5:06 PM, papa57 said:

LAD…..FYI personally I'm having one of those "bad" days. Seeing what you've written on the forum is up lifting, and we all need to support one another. Nice timing and thank you. For better or worse I'm headed out to exercise. It's a mainstay of my diet to combat PD. So maybe your message will "pay it forward" through me to someone else. Who ever you are if you're  contemplating exercise but not quite there yet……do it for the ones you love and those who love you. A bad day of PD with exercise is better than a bad day with PD without exercise. :)

Hope you are still exercising! 

LAD 

LAD    215

So two exercise classes today-one aerobics & one weight training. I had some crazy tremors but once they stopped I had a great day....

intense exercise = crazy temporary tremors = great day

I think I am ok with that!

LAD

• Like 1

papa57    61

LAD,

Yep still exercising. 

Saw my newest neurologist yesterday. She's fantastic! It's a 4 hour drive to see her and she's willing to spend quality time with her patients. I realize this will likely change again, meaning having to see a different neurologist. Insurance plan made the change for me. But for now…..I'll take it!

Both she and my primary are adamant about keeping  on the exercise path. Mostly because what it does for my situation.

One of the things that came up in discussion was trying to plan to do things now and not put them off. Even though I'm on a positive path with PD…..no one knows how it will affect me in the long run. It could be minor, or major. The point was…..do it now…..because you don't want to be looking back in life wishing I would have done this or that!!

My take on that is regardless of whether you have PD or not, life here is only so long for each of us. We just happen to have PD.

Sounds silly, but this was an eye opener for me. It wasn't a dramatic statement made to someone with a terminal illness. It was just a matter-of-fact of wake up and do it now or in the near future……….because that's all we really have.

I would guess we all have similar experiences with PD. It's a roller coaster with ups and downs. Today I happen to be on the up side. 

• Like 1

LAD    215
23 minutes ago, papa57 said:

LAD,

Yep still exercising. 

Saw my newest neurologist yesterday. She's fantastic! It's a 4 hour drive to see her and she's willing to spend quality time with her patients. I realize this will likely change again, meaning having to see a different neurologist. Insurance plan made the change for me. But for now…..I'll take it!

Both she and my primary are adamant about keeping  on the exercise path. Mostly because what it does for my situation.

One of the things that came up in discussion was trying to plan to do things now and not put them off. Even though I'm on a positive path with PD…..no one knows how it will affect me in the long run. It could be minor, or major. The point was…..do it now…..because you don't want to be looking back in life wishing I would have done this or that!!

My take on that is regardless of whether you have PD or not, life here is only so long for each of us. We just happen to have PD.

Sounds silly, but this was an eye opener for me. It wasn't a dramatic statement made to someone with a terminal illness. It was just a matter-of-fact of wake up and do it now or in the near future……….because that's all we really have.

I would guess we all have similar experiences with PD. It's a roller coaster with ups and downs. Today I happen to be on the up side. 

Nice!  Yes my dr always puts "Be present " on my discharge instructions. I am doing things now as well! I plan to keep on doing PD and all! 

Glad you're doing well & keep exercising- it's hard sometimes but worth it in the long run! 

LAD

LAD    215

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” Mahatma Gandhi

Keep fighting...never give up!!

LAD

Edited by LAD
  • Like 2

Linda Garren    750

I like that, Ginger.  And awakening to a sunny, fresh new day after a good night's sleep helps keep a positive perspective.  :-)

Edited by Linda Garren
  • Like 1

LAD    215

I posted this twice - sorry if that annoys anyone....feel free to add positive thoughts ponder as we go on this journey....

36091808636_ace9d958ed_b.jpg

LAD

Edited by LAD
  • Like 2

Lonnise    60

LAD,

This is so useful and true, it's worth posting more than once.  I know I've seen it before, but I was surprised to see "skin cancer" as a PD-related condition.  I don't remember that one (there others I knew).  Does anyone reading this post know of a skin cancer connection?

I like the idea of adding positives, so here's a start (?):

An immediate motivation to "stop and smell the roses" and (as you said in another post) seize the day!

A reason to take up dancing :D

Reaching out and connecting with many other fabulous people (as on this forum)

Feeling better after exercising - more than you did before the dx

Maybe we should think of PD as representing "Powerful Determination" - what do you think?

Best,

LHG

• Like 1

LAD    215

Saw this today... thought it fit with recent posts! 

LAD

"When something enters your life that is so big and so non-negotiable as catastrophic illness, you either go in denial for a while or ultimately you accept it and you make space for it. And in making space for it, you illuminate a lot of things that you normally don't have room for you simply just look at the world differently."

MJ Fox

• Like 1

adams234    242

Love the positivity on this thread.

I just got back from a 2 week stay in Iceland. Toured a glacier cave, saw countless waterfalls, climbed up a dormant volcano, and drove about 500miles in a 6sp standard shift car. My PD was not an issue as long as I took my meds and paced myself. Managed to average 14k steps a day as well. Good trip and love Iceland.

Just shows you don't have to give up on what you love.

https://goo.gl/photos/xrmUxpzPM7wzfTvT9

My best wishes to all.

Adam

Edited by adams234

LAD    215
55 minutes ago, adams234 said:

Love the positivity on this thread.

I just got back from a 2 week stay in Iceland. Toured a glacier cave, saw countless waterfalls, climbed up a dormant volcano, and drove about 500miles in a 6sp standard shift car. My PD was not an issue as long as I took my meds and paced myself. Managed to average 14k steps a day as well. Good trip and love Iceland.

Just shows you don't have to give up on what you love.

https://goo.gl/photos/xrmUxpzPM7wzfTvT9

My best wishes to all.

Adam

When we went on a tour in Italy, our tour guide said Iceland was her favorite tour.  And thank you for noticing the positive thread.....we need it:)

• Like 1

LAD    215
On 4/2/2017 at 4:23 PM, noah said:

You are right but it so hard when PD effects everything

Noah- I was in such a terrible place 3 years ago. You know since you read my story online...PD sucks but there are lots of things that are so much worse.

to quote MJ Fox- 

With Parkinson's, it's like you're in the middle of the street and you're stuck there in cement shoes and you know a bus is coming at you, but you don't know when. You think you can hear it rumbling, but you have a lot of time to think. And so you just don't live that moment of the bus hitting you until it happens. There's all kinds of room in that space.

I have my bus days but there is room for a great life. And there are lots of people in the street with me!  Stay strong and stay hopeful.

LAD

papa57    61

Thanks for all the positive messages in this thread. I've been away from the forum for awhile, not on purpose, just been busy. I've been on a down slope lately and reading this thread of late is helping me make a turn I hope!

I just need to break through this stretch of mental negativity.  

• Thanks 1