helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
LAD

A little something to think about

LAD    217
2 hours ago, papa57 said:

Thanks for all the positive messages in this thread. I've been away from the forum for awhile, not on purpose, just been busy. I've been on a down slope lately and reading this thread of late is helping me make a turn I hope!

I just need to break through this stretch of mental negativity.  

Thank you...you made my day! Sorry you are on a down slope. I honestly get my punching bag out and go at it sometimes. I asked for a boxing speed bag for my birthday...some girls want flowers. 

Keep fighting! Stay hopeful!

LAD

Edited by LAD

LAD    217

Our uniqueness, our individuality, and our life experience molds us into fascinating beings. I hope we can embrace that. I pray we may all challenge ourselves to delve into the deepest resources of our hearts to cultivate an atmosphere of understanding, acceptance, tolerance, and compassion. We are all in this life together.

-Linda Thompson 

stay hopeful & be hopeful 

LAD

Edited by LAD
  • Like 1

Gardener    195

I think what this study shows is that movement is important for slowing progression and disability.  Many people are not able to vigorously exercise (myself included).  But, I do try to keep active all day long.  Sitting causes me the most discomfort so I avoid it as much as possible.  Vigorous activity burns dopamine (for me) so I find that I need to take more medication.   Gardening, housework and walks, along with medication,  seem to help me cope with symptoms at 6 years since diagnosis.

PatriotM    807

Starting small -- tracking your steps with a pedometer and setting incremental goals or working with a physical therapist to gain strength -- can help increase activity.

"A person with Parkinson disease will be best off when medical management, such as taking medications, will be combined with behavioral interventions that reduce a sedentary lifestyle.  The good news here is that this does not require intense or vigorous exercise efforts but can be done right at home while cooking, doing this dishes, cleaning the house, working in the garden or walking the dog," says Dr. Bohnen.

Yep!  Just keep moving!

• Like 1

LAD    217

Find something you love to do..... Whatever it is incorporate other things... If it's walking, look around and say the colors of what you see or walk with a ball in your hand and switch it from one hand to the other... Exercise your brain too!!

As Patriot said just keep moving! 

LAD