helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Appala

Advanced Parkinson's Meds Not Working?

Appala    8

Dr. Okun, my older sister, age 81, has PD, like me. Today her daughter reported the following:  "University of Kentucky, Lexington, Medical team has told momma her Parkinson's is progressing and her meds are not working ( Carbidopa-Levodopa ). The plan now is they are going give her meds to keep her comfortable. Humm not the news we real wanted to hear. "

This has me really alarmed, both for her & for me. She's only been diagnosed for about 4 years (me for 10) and suffers neck pain, anxiety, insomnia, sleepwalking, digestive problems, cognitive issues, etc., & is on a lot of meds. What does UK's comment mean? Do Parkies reach a point where nothing more can be done, and am I headed that way in a few years? What can/should be done now? Thank you for any advice or help.

Dr. Okun    411

I would suggest asking for clarity on the comment as it doesn't make complete sense to me.  Certain symptoms for example walking, talking and thinking may respond less well over time....also, the diagnosis in some cases gets changed from PD to a parkinsonism.

Appala    8
On 4/7/2017 at 9:39 AM, Dr. Okun said:

Thank you Dr. Okun.  That's what I thought. Sounds as if there are some confusing communication issues between her doctors & her family. Her daughter has since clarified:  " Parkinson's issues are getting unbearable for her. O2 levels going down when she has attacks, nausea, sweating, confusion, very little sleep, pain. They are still going to treat the symptoms of Parkinson's. Her Parkinson's has progressed and meds are not working properly. It was made clear from the get go the meds can stop working." Actually, I think she is on too many meds (not all for PD) & they need to be reviewed for side effects & interactions.

Dr. Okun    411

There are cases when patients need to have meds reduced (too many total meds) and sometimes even doses reduced.  When this is the case it needs to be done under strict supervision soas not to make people worse.