helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Discovery

Linda's thread

20 posts in this topic

Linda, I'm really sorry to see that your thread has been shut down. 

Truth be known, I have not been one to post my beliefs on the thread nor have I really took time to read it. 

I find such injustice that because a couple of haters or do we call them "trolls" who can't tolerate difference they attack to the point of meltdown. 

I have written the Administration asking them to reconsider and unlock the topic. After reading a couple of pages I can see that many members find comfort in the thread and in each other.

Let Linda love Christ. What harm does it do to anyone? If it offends you then don't read it.....quit easy!

PWP find comfort wherever they find it....who are we to judge, therefore  it belongs on the forum.

Seriously,  doesn't Parkinson's give us bigger issues to put our energy into other then picking on a woman who only offers comfort?

D

3 people like this

I agree!!If there is something to do that would make them reconsider please share it   

Hi Noah

I wrote the administration direct through my personal message section. It may help.

D

Definitely, SIs.  Thank you.  Admin. is handling the situation well.  Things are looking up.:-)

I am so sorry that Linda's thread has been shut down. Her thread was informative and encouraging to me. The fact that it had to be shut down is an example of intolerance toward different beliefs or the inability to be civil in expressing beliefs that are non-Christian. I believe Linda is as open as anyone could be to listening to others, including those who are vehemently opposed to her. She has been firm in her beliefs, but always fair in her response to those that are against Christianity. With Linda at the helm of the thread, anyone who opposes is not discouraged from posting unless they are purposely trying to insult or hurt those of us who are Christ followers. The thread was started for those who are interested in topics about Christianity. It was not intended to have the tone that it has had where attacks are the norm. Disagreement would be allowed, if expressed in a genuine way, with the intent of greater understanding. With good reason, she defended her beliefs, but I never saw her be rude or inappropriate in her responses. If there was ever a hint of rudeness it was only because she was unwilling to be trampled upon by opposition. There are certain threads that I choose not to read because I am not interested. I don't understand why all readers do not just stay away from a thread that they do not agree with or in which they have no interest. 

Linda, I join you in prayer for those who oppose you and I also pray for you, that God would restore you after being hurt and insulted by some forum members.

Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, Matthew 5:44.

3 people like this

You would certainly THINK that each one of us fighting Parkinson's has enough on their own plate to concern themselves with, that they wouldn't feel the need to interfere with how someone else is coping with, and/or fighting PD in their own way. But alas, there's always that obnoxious 10% of ANY population....whether it's the diseased, sports stars, celebrities, police officers, politicians, etc., that feel a sick compulsion to tear down someone else's castle. History shows, however, that these type people usually self-destruct on their own. So, let them wallow in their own bitterness and nastiness....they CERTAINLY aren't helping themselves do any better with their own PD. (Personally, I hope it ramps up their symptoms).

Linda, just start a new thread. If it also ends up shut down, start another.

6 people like this

Thanks to each of you who spoke up in support of the thread and for understanding that this has been an extremely difficult situation.

I noticed something recently that was very interesting. Stanford has a listing of online support forums for PD with brief descriptions (that I am assuming are submitted by the individual organizations), and this is the one submitted for our Forum:

npf-logoNPF's Open Forum
Unmoderated posts on a variety of PD-related and non-PD-related topics including announcements, website surveys, sharing personal stories, inspirational postings (music, poems, humor), treatments, medical news, and advertising.

It's interesting to me that music, poems, and humor are specifically pointed out as what "inspirational" in this case means.  No mention of spiritual inspiration, even though the number of views on that thread is still growing even though the thread is closed, and has been and continues to be one of the most viewed topics, with nearly 49,000 views (48,343 as of today, to be exact).

The listings were updated this February.

Just an interesting observation about this omission and sad to me that it is an unfortunate sign of our times.

Edited by Linda Garren

On 4/20/2017 at 11:06 AM, MusicMan said:

You would certainly THINK that each one of us fighting Parkinson's has enough on their own plate to concern themselves with, that they wouldn't feel the need to interfere with how someone else is coping with, and/or fighting PD in their own way. But alas, there's always that obnoxious 10% of ANY population....whether it's the diseased, sports stars, celebrities, police officers, politicians, etc., that feel a sick compulsion to tear down someone else's castle. History shows, however, that these type people usually self-destruct on their own. So, let them wallow in their own bitterness and nastiness....they CERTAINLY aren't helping themselves do any better with their own PD. (Personally, I hope it ramps up their symptoms).

Linda, just start a new thread. If it also ends up shut down, start another.   I may just do that...  Am not quite sure, though.  I mean that I'm sure I want to do it, but not sure I'm strong enough at this point to.  I need to discuss it with Admin. a little more and see if she will handle anyone who continues their assaults.  I surely never mind questions about the things I've posted--I welcome them--but I find the out-and-out assaults very difficult and certainly inappropriate for anyone to experience.

Anything that will keep PWP alive,uplift our spirits,give us hope,encourage us is welcome.

Personal opinion here and you can agree or disagree.   While this forum has been a great help to a lot of people here I do notice a lot of members do not post much any more and I hope it's because they are out there living their life and being active which is a positive thing.   I feel we should come here for info and offer support to others but get off the computer and do something else too.  Life is too short.

2 people like this

Linda, 

I haven't been one to post much recently, but I always liked that you thread was there.  I think it is a great thing to discuss spiritually uplifting topics, because that is part of our healing process after all.

Hi, everyone.  I was reminded the other day when reading the statement, "Hurt people hurt people," to see someone who attempts to hurt us in light of that thought.  My dad often said that we would cry for people instead of getting angry with them if we knew what they may have been through in their lives.  Though I do think we need to stand up to those who attack us, it may help in how we respond (or don't respond) to remember what may be causing them to hurt or defame or discredit us. 

I'd like to share a reading from this morning that applies:

In Touch Ministries Daily Devotions

May 16

Influences from Childhood

Isaiah 61:1-3

No one's childhood is perfect. What we experienced during those years has a profound impact, even into adulthood. Things we saw, heard, felt, and even things we did not feel can affect us later in life.

As one might expect, external influences do help to shape our personality. However, the result is not always predictable. For example, early years full of painful experiences leave deeps wounds in some, but in others, they contribute to the development of depth and perseverance.

Whether your younger years were joyful or painful, it can be valuable to consider what their impact was, back then as well as in the present. You might start by exploring your responses to key childhood events. Next, identify traits that you appreciated in your parents and others--qualities you'd like to nurture in your own life. Finally, think about people with characteristics that impacted you negatively. Ask God for healing and freedom from the patterns you may have developed in response. Then shift your focus to godly attributes you want to exhibit instead, such as peace, grace, and gentleness.

The heavenly Father wants to free you from any negative trends that took root early in life. He can break any unhealthy pattern and replace it with hope and deep satisfaction in Him.

As you explore the effects of childhood experiences, pray to see through a lens of truth. When you recognize ways that others negatively influenced you, pray for strength to forgive and God's help in mending areas of brokenness--whether spiritual, emotional, relational, or mental.

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

Edited by Linda Garren

Hello, Linda --

I enjoyed the comments and advice in your post.  Even considered aside from a spiritual setting, the advice on examining and using childhood experience would be approved by sociologists, too, I believe.  At least, I have read the same principles propounded by them.  And because of my background, I cannot help thinking of certain poets.  "As the twig is bent, so the tree's inclined."  Or "The child is father of the man."  Many minds have pondered these ideas over the centuries.

J

Hi, J!  It's so nice to see a post from you.

I like the verses from poems that you posted.  They go right along with a verse in the Bible that says, "The sins of the father are visited upon the sons."