helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Chief 2

New to Parkinson's

4 posts in this topic

Hello group,

I am newly diagnosed with PD and outside of my family nobody knows.  My doctors says that I have young onset as I am 43 years old.  I am interested in hearing from those who were diagnosed young and what information they shared with their employer.

Welcome, I was diagnosed at 46 but probably had it for a few years prior. My coworkers knew and were very supportive.  You need to do what's comfortable to you. I am not sure what or if  you are required to tell an employer.  I guess it depends on your job. Eventually, PD is just a part of your daily life and part of who you are. 

I don't announce I have PD to whoever I meet but I don't hide it either. I go with the situation as it comes. 

good luck 

1 person likes this

welcome , I was DX at 50 but had symptoms well before . Telling people of your DX is a personal choice , I generally don't talk about it unless someone asks why my hand is shaking or why do you run off to the bathroom so much etc  . I guess it is because I don't want people to look at me and say things like poor guy he has parkinson's or for people to treat me any different than they had before . That being said ,for work purposes it depends on what line of work you do and is it affecting your ability to perform your tasks ? I was a union Steamfitter  (pipefitter ) and was having issues with balance and had a couple falls at work . Using my left hand for delicate tasks was becoming increasingly more difficult . The balance issue was a huge concern as most of our work is off of ladders or in some type of man lift  . These are some of the same reasons I went to have my symptoms checked by my Doctor and eventually the neurologist . When I was 100 % sure what I had and how much it was affecting my abilty to perform I told my boss . In my case I was rather lucky as my boss was also a good friend that I had gone through the apprenticeship program with 24 years earlier so he was very concerned and supportive . I guess it comes down to Do they need to know now and if they will be supportive of you and do you feel they have a need to know .

Dan

2 people like this