helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
BillBRNC

Sinemet & Eating Meals

BillBRNC    27

I'm taking 1.5 pills (25/100) before each meal. Usually about 20 minutes or so, but sometimes much closer. My doctor said 30 minutes before or an hour after. Anyway, last night was the third time I had to get  up and leave a restaurant due to stomach feeling queasy and my entire body feeling terrible and it feeling like I was under a sun lamp burning up and feeling like I was about to pass out. I get home and fall right into bed and don't get up for at least 12 hours. The label says to take with meals. The doctors say whatever they say, then I just do the best I can to do what the doctor says. If I take the pills right as I start dinner then I don't seem to have trouble, or immediately after starting eating. Everything else seems a crap shoot. Any ideas.

Linda Garren    750

Many have found that if you eat a saltine cracker or two and then take the pill, helps.  I often eat half of a piece of organic grain bread and it seems to work.

The main thing to be careful about is not to eat anything high in protein with your sinemet. Protein fights with the sinemet to get past the blood brain barrier.  But I don't let something with just 2-3 grams of protein bother me when taking sinemet.  Hasn't been problematic.

I've also heard on this forum that taking sinemet with orange (but never grapefruit) juice supposedly helps the body absorb it faster.

MusicMan    771
7 hours ago, BillBRNC said:

The label says to take with meals.

Really? Never saw that...

maral77    72

My DH has been taking Sinimet and Rivastigmine for a very long time.  For the Sinimet his neurologist said he could take it with or without  food and I just googles and everything I read said the same/ Nothing on his bottle to say otherwise. NOW with the Rivastigmine YES that says and so does his neurologist say to take WITH food.

BillBRNC    27

MY thanks to all. I shall try the saltine cracker idea, as my wife has suggested it before. Seems odd to me that it makes much difference, but I guess lots of people say it.

She-Ra    63

Did you start taking 1.5 tablets from day 1?  Perhaps start with a half tablet each time and work your way up gradually to 1.5/dose.  I have always been advised to taper on/off.  And, the crackers do help.

BillBRNC    27

Yes, I started with one half dose (25/100), taken three times a day. They raised it to one whole pill, then to 1.5 pills. When I raised to 2 pills I ran into a brick wall. Dropped back to 1.5 pills, but have been having on and off issues, but not too bad. I've decided to stick with what I'm doing until I have my next sit-down with my neurologist in a few weeks. And yes I'm getting the crackers.

As far as I understand if you can you take levodopa on empty stomach

if you can't - take something small - no proteins, no fat, no iron

=============

maybe this  will help:

Eating Proteins with Levodopa/Sinemet*

• It is best to take Sinemet 30 to 60 minutes before eating a meal. This allows the Sinemet to be quickly absorbed before the food can interfere.
  • Take the Sinemet along with foods that don’t contain proteins.
  • Ginger tea is a good choice for many people, because it often “settles the stomach”.
  • A graham cracker or soda cracker along with the ginger tea may help too.
  • These foods are very low in protein and should not interfere with the absorption of Sinemet.

Caution: PD medications may have interactions with certain foods, other medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, over the counter cold pills and other remedies.  Anyone taking a PD medication should talk to their doctor and pharmacist about potential drug interactions.