helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
BillBRNC

Sinemet Duration

4 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been discussed till the cows come home, but I keep reading that Sinemet loses it's effectiveness after 5 years, thus requiring other things to be added to boost it. I've also read a lot that 5 years or so of using Sinemet will cause bad things to happen to the patient. What is the truth on these point? Thanks Bill.

There is a propagated myth that SInemet loses its effectiveness and is bad and should be delayed as long as possible.....we have written on this topic many times (see What's Hot blogs on www.parkinson.org).  The disease will progress whether or not you treat with dopamine and there is a window when dopamine is most effective.  The most important part of treatment is to choose appropriate doses and intervals to relieve symptoms and to realize that the disease will progress over time no matter what you do.....by expert adjustment of therapies there can be improvement in symptoms and quality of life.  Most experts do not believe that levodopa is toxic to the human and in fact most believe the opposite.  The stat you may be looking at is that 50% of PD patients get motor fluctuations at 5 years.....the answer is not witholding levodopa....the answer is better optimization of doses, drugs, and intervals.

Hi Doc,

just to follow up on likely effect of prolonged use of sinemet.I will like to know if dyskinesia is an inevitable occurrence while on sinemet for 5yrs,or less.Will everyone on this drug develop some type of motor fluctuations on the long run?What percentage of patients on sinemet,eventually develop dyskinesia,after 5yrs?I learnt it is usually hard to treat,once a patient develops this problem.

Thanks for your anticipated response.

After 5 years 50% of patients develop motor fluctuation and dyskinesia on Sinemet.  Not everyone gets dyskinesia but most people at least get wearing off between dosages.  This is not a reason to delay treatment as these issues are inevitable.  The trick is adjusting dose and medication intervals appropriately.