helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
msm

Azilect with mucuna

7 posts in this topic

my father has PD he is on Azilect (Rasalgine) for one month now with little effect,

and I read a lot about Mucuna Prurines & I want to try it with him

but I read some comments that Mucuna should not be giving with Azilect but I don't know why?

if anyone is taking them together? please let us know your experience

or if anyone knows why they should not be taking together please let us know

thank you so much

So far we have not heard about any issue of Azilect and Mucuna.  I will post and see if others have heard of an issue.  Azilect and meperidine and certain anaesthetics should not be mixed.

thank you so much Dr.Okun

I will start him on mucuna today, unfortunately Azilect is giving him hard time with constipation

so I will reduce its dose from 1mg to 0.5 mg/day, I hope this will help him

thanks again Dr.Okun for your kind reply & great help

Hi Doc,

I understand that Mucuna is pure Levodopa.How safe is this?And what advantages does it have over other drugs like sinemet.Does it have to do with side effects?Does mucuna cause dyskinesia after prolonged use?

Mucuna is a form of dopamine and some of my patients use it.  There is one study in JNNP many years ago suggesting some benefits in dyskinesia but in my practice I have not seen any advantage over Sinemet or Madopar.  In fact over time many of my patients switch back to Sinemet and Madopar because the absorption and pharmacodynamics (blood levels) are too erratic for the formulation which is over the counter and not regulated.  Hope that helps.

Azilect can be given at 0.5mg to answer the second question, but studies suggest the 1mg dose to be superior.