helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
sun and sun

Mucuna Pruiens

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, I was just newly diagnosed of YOPD early this year. It's really really shock to me. I started to see a neurologist and was prescribed of Azilect (1mg). Seems better after taking medication. But still feeling soreness over left shank and mild hand tremor over left hand at times. Then I tried to take Mucuna Pruiens (a kind of health supplement), I felt a bit better. Does anyone know the effect of taking it in early stage? Besides, I'm not sure what's the dosage I should take. Thanks thousands for your advice!!  

Sun,

Mucuna Pruriens has several studies available, unfortunately they are done on groups of Parkinson's patients of various ages and not on just young onset patients. Since it is a naturally occurring substance it is not mandated by the FDA. What I can tell you that it is a natural form of L-Dopa, but the amount that crosses the Blood Brain Barrier and is broken down into Dopamine in order to work is negotiable. The starting dose is anywhere between 500mg to 1,000mg (equal to 1 gram) daily. I have seen the dosage rise to the levels increase to 2.5 grams of dried powder taken once daily or 1.25 grams taken twice daily. If no relief of symptoms occurs within 5 to 7 days, the dose can be increased to total 5 grams of dried powder taken once daily or 2.5 grams taken twice daily. You will usually find that in some of the higher quality capsules may contain about 10% to 15% of L-Dopa.

Mucuna pruriens have also been used to emotional regulation, mood balancing, improve alertness, concentration, and enhance libido. This is because it can effect norepinephrine as well as dopamine.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

Dear Dr.

Thanks so much for your fruitful info.

In fact, I'm now taking the supplement with the following description regarding "Supplement facts":

Amount per serving

Velvet Bean Extract (Mucuna pruiens) (seed) (min 15% L-DOPA, naturally occurring): 800mg

L-DOPA: 120mg

I'm now taking 2 capsules per day, so am I taking 240mg in total per day?

Thanks again for your advice!!

Best,

Edited by sun and sun

Yes, 2 capsules would equal 240mg.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.