helplinedonate
sun and sun

Mucuna Pruiens

Hi all, I was just newly diagnosed of YOPD early this year. It's really really shock to me. I started to see a neurologist and was prescribed of Azilect (1mg). Seems better after taking medication. But still feeling soreness over left shank and mild hand tremor over left hand at times. Then I tried to take Mucuna Pruiens (a kind of health supplement), I felt a bit better. Does anyone know the effect of taking it in early stage? Besides, I'm not sure what's the dosage I should take. Thanks thousands for your advice!!  

Sun,

Mucuna Pruriens has several studies available, unfortunately they are done on groups of Parkinson's patients of various ages and not on just young onset patients. Since it is a naturally occurring substance it is not mandated by the FDA. What I can tell you that it is a natural form of L-Dopa, but the amount that crosses the Blood Brain Barrier and is broken down into Dopamine in order to work is negotiable. The starting dose is anywhere between 500mg to 1,000mg (equal to 1 gram) daily. I have seen the dosage rise to the levels increase to 2.5 grams of dried powder taken once daily or 1.25 grams taken twice daily. If no relief of symptoms occurs within 5 to 7 days, the dose can be increased to total 5 grams of dried powder taken once daily or 2.5 grams taken twice daily. You will usually find that in some of the higher quality capsules may contain about 10% to 15% of L-Dopa.

Mucuna pruriens have also been used to emotional regulation, mood balancing, improve alertness, concentration, and enhance libido. This is because it can effect norepinephrine as well as dopamine.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

• Like 1

Dear Dr.

Thanks so much for your fruitful info.

In fact, I'm now taking the supplement with the following description regarding "Supplement facts":

Amount per serving

Velvet Bean Extract (Mucuna pruiens) (seed) (min 15% L-DOPA, naturally occurring): 800mg

L-DOPA: 120mg

I'm now taking 2 capsules per day, so am I taking 240mg in total per day?

Thanks again for your advice!!

Best,

Edited by sun and sun

Yes, 2 capsules would equal 240mg.

Rocki, if you are out there, Linda wants to know how you are doing. Hopefully well.

I'm a newbie. Diagnosed after Lyme disease 5 years ago and the onset of what was at that point a suspected essential tremor. Over the past five months I started to develop rigidity along with the Tremor in my left arm only. Subsequently diagnosed idiopathic Parkinson's a month-and-a-half ago. My neurologist prescribed l-dopa Carbidopa 25 250 but after 12 days I had only some reduction in the rigidity and tremor but I had significant side effects i e sleep disruption, headache, brain fog worsening , nausea and malaise. The neurologist took me off of the medication pending the results of a complete blood work-up, sleep study and a second lumbar puncture. In the interim I am trying MP 15 grams daily in the morning. After 5 days so far so good. Some nausea and continued sonambulism but no other side effects and a significant reduction in Tremor and rigidity. I've read mixed reports about whether MP causes dyskinesia or not. Additionally, I've seen suggestions to add amantadine and selegaline along with periodic cleansing therapy. But I will wait on all of that until I've caught up with my neurologist again in 4 weeks. I am overwhelmed by the amount of information that is out there but I try to research to the extent I can on a daily basis. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Marle222

0Marle,

I have seen many physicians use Carbidopa/Levodopa (C/L) to see if they can rule out PD. They give the patient C/L for a few weeks (which may have to be titrated up) and if the symptoms improve, then the primary medical issue is PD. If the symptoms do not improve, then the diagnosis could be Essential Tremors or Parkinsonianism.

Since your symptoms did not improve, and actually got worse, I have seen physicians try a Dopamine Agonist  (Requip, Mirapex, etc...) to officially rule out PD. Also, Dopamine Agonist's are usually the first class of medications used for Young Onset PD. It it usually started at a low dose and slowly increased over time.

Interesting enough, Mucuna Pruiens work on PD and ET. It also contains a natural form of Levodopa. So it can actually work on PD and ET. At this point, as long as it helps for the tremors, we really don't care what it is. I know we want to know, so I think it may be wise to try a Dopamine Agonist first, for piece of mine. Then add Amantadin

Essential Tremors can also be a symptom of a Magnesium deficiency.  One of the best Magnesium Supplements to take is Magnesium Glycinate. That is also something you may want to discuss with your physician. 

I think that Mucuna Pruiens are worth a try until you see your Doctor. What I recommend to all patients is to keep a journal. I would do this daily, either on paper, or better yet, on the computer. I would include:

Date, medication, strength, time it is taken, time of "off" times, when you ate, what you ate, and any adverse reactions. 

The reason I strongly recommend doing this is several fold. (1) You can see if any trends occurred, good and bad. (2) It keeps you engaged in what time you take a certain medication and any good or bad effects. (3) THIS IS THE BEST PART. A few days before you have your appointment,  you could fax these journal notes to the Doctor if you have handwritten them. If you have keep track on the computer,  you can email them a few days before your appointment to the office so the Doctor can read them before seeing you.

I have made a template with an exel spreadsheet just to make it easy for me. You could also use a Word document to create one as well.

As soon as you see the Doctor,  they want to know EVERYTHING that has happened since your last appointment. This takes up about 70% of your office visit time. By email or faxing it, that will literally save time which can be used to discuss other options.

Every Doctor that I have told about this journal practice loves it and passes it along to their patients. It gives them all the answers and info they need, so they can get right to working on the issues. Also, you can write your questions right on the journal so you don't forget.

I have also noticed that the most important question you have for the Doctor is the one you remember when you are have of the way home. This method will cure that issue also.

I have been journaling. My doctor switched me to mirapex. I have been at 5 mg daily for four days now. I will titrate up to 1 mg in three days. So far no impact on the tremors at all. Thank you again for your input.

As I have said, this medication, as well as other PD medications, should start low and go slow. It looks like your Dr is doing that exactly. You start off at a very low dose ( which he is doing and that is probably why you don't feel like it is working yet, and then will increase slowly, as he is doing. It may take a little time before you start seeing any improvemet.

I hope this helps and please kep me posted.

Thank you MCOMES. Do you have any sense of how long before I see some improvement? As per doctor's orders I just doubled the dosage this morning after 7 days. I'm just worried that I may start experiencing the more worrisome side effects before I start feeling the therapeutic effects. Over the years, I have found that I am very sensitive to the side effects of virtually any medication. Thank you again.

Once you find that point where the medication is increasing your quality of life, then you should try and stay at that dose. It's the patients that look 100% relief that usually end up with the unwanted side effects.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! Thank you as well for your insights. Hopefully within the next 2 months I will be discussing DBS with another neurologist and surgeon. In order to resume my life's work and passion the Tremor needs to be all but completely eliminated. I understand that DBS is quite safe and effective. Still, I must admit to some fear about having and Electrode implanted in my brain!

Since everyone is different, the amount of medication needed will be also be different.

With the max dosage of 1.5 mg three times a day, which is a daily dose of 4.5 mg. 

I don't really know what dosage will work for you, I am glad your Dr is dosing it correctly and increasing it correctly. Your Dr sounds like they have your best interest at heart.

Dear Pharmacist.

From your experience,at what dose can Mucuna puriens cause dyskinesia? I understand it can also cause dyskinesia. And how does one deal the cognitive and sleepiness side effect of sinemet?    

Otolorin,

I get different information depending on the specific products I see. I see a starting dose of between 500 to 1,000mg per day.

The side effect of dyskenesia usually happens at doses greater than 5 Grams (or 5,000 mg).

The issue of sudden sleep syndrome was mentioned by a patient who was taking Sinemet and Mucuna puriens .

As you know, everyone is different, so everyone will react differently to different amounts.