helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Linda Garren

Tell Congress: Vote No on New Health Care Reform Proposal

johnnys    460

I just called my republican congressman here in NY.He says he is against it.

I always mention Im a parky and it helps so don't think our call won't help.

So many here could be hurt by a ill thought out bad bill just to prove a point

Call today because there is great pressure for a "Trump win"

thanks

john

• Like 1

PatriotM    806

Dear Mr. Congressman/Congresswoman/Congresstransgenderperson,

Please vote no on the healthcare bill because I don't think it's fair that I have to buy insurance before I get sick. It makes a lot more sense to wait until I'm sick before buying insurance.  While you're at it, I also don't think that I should have to buy car insurance unless I have an accident.  It's just plain crazy that I need to buy homeowner's insurance before the house burns down.

You've given me a free Section 8 house; free utilities; free food; free money; and even a free Obama phone.  Now I want free insurance!!!

Thanks for the freebies!

• Like 2

Quietstill    450

How is this bill different from the last disastrous one?

The main element addresses Patriot's concern.  Not to worry, if you insurance lapses for just 63 days in one year, you will be unable to ever get insurance again except in the high risk pool.  But hey!  Trump is allowing 8 billion for 4 years only to cover that pool, so that is okay, Right?  Except it cost 2 billion for only 100,000 high risk people in non-medicare expansion states for just one year to bring their premiums down to less than $10,000 per year.  Now that Medicaid will go away with this repeal, all states will lose the medicaid expansion and so the 24 million people will be covered under the 2 billion a year, right?

A lot of sickness, death and divorce just to get a $880,000 million immediate tax cut for the top .05% of the population.  The plan does also not specify what constitutes a 'lapse' of insurance.  Earlier this year they talked of adjusting the rule saying if your payment was not CASHED by the 1st of the month, your insurance Co could consider your payment 'lapsed' and medical bills would not be paid until you were 'current.'  So I wonder how many of us will lose insurance permanently because we mail our payments on the 1st?

Interesting times.  Call your congressman one way or the other and let them know what you think.

• Like 1

PatriotM    806

Quietstill,

You either missed my point or didn't want to address it.  My point is that "insurance" is something you buy to protect yourself from a future peril.  By definition, it is not insurance if you can wait until you experience a peril and then buy "insurance".  That is the reason Obamacare failed - because people were able to buy insurance after they experienced a major peril.  This made it necessary for the insurance companies to drastically raise their premiums, which drove even more people from the market.  Insurance can not work if insurance companies can not raise premiums to match the risk they represent.

The only solution is to get the government out of insurance and health care and let the market work. 

• Like 1

Quietstill    450

Patriot I didn't miss your point.  I actually addressed it.  Once you have a 63 day lapse, you'll never get insurance again.  So that should be a real inducement to always pay for insurance.  Unfortunately, as I am in my 50s and with a pre-existing condition, I will not be able to afford insurance next year.  My base rate will go to 5 times the younger population, and will have the surcharge of two pre-existing conditions. 

But this bill actually addresses your main concern over treating freeloaders who don't get insurance until they get sick.  After 63 days they will never get insurance again which will certainly teach me a lesson.  Of course as I have always struggled to maintain insurance all my life I am not quite sure the lesson was needed, but if it becomes law, I will have the choice of taking care of my DH or paying for my insurance, not both.  Nifty, huh?

• Like 1

Quietstill    450

In an effort to keep my blood pressure down as I will lose insurance next year, I was just going to keep silent on the victory celebration of stripping 24 million people of insurance for an obscene tax break for the super rich.

And then I ran across this: surviving Sexual assault can be considered a pre-existing condition by insurance companies.  I did not believe it.  I figured, 'okay, there is a lot of alarmist junk out there, so calm down.  It must be wrong.'  Nope.  I can give you sites any Trump voter would immediately dismiss, or I can just direct you to The Hill

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/healthcare/331602-health-reform-will-make-sexual-assault-survivors-sick

Really?  Call your legislators and DEMAND this particular insult is removed.  You may not care about old folks, opiod addicts, sick people or babies, but sexual assault survivors?

• Like 1

johnnys    460

Trumpcare is all about the "who cares about the other guy"type mentality.Really healthcare is far the most important priority.The money being stolen and mismanaged on wall street today and monopoly of the large banks makes the  healthcare debate almost trivial.Drug companies alone gave over 50 million dollars for the election and they want their moneys worth,Sad 

A postive note is fight to keep the best of Affordable Care Act is still on and don"t give up calling your Senator

Senator Bernie Sanders,Our Revolution ,is a must read

stump    463
15 hours ago, Quietstill said:

How is this bill different from the last disastrous one?

Far as I'm concerned it's a different shade of lipstick on the same pig.

• Like 2

PatriotM    806
12 hours ago, Quietstill said:

Really?  Call your legislators and DEMAND this particular insult is removed.  You may not care about old folks, opiod addicts, sick people or babies, but sexual assault survivors?

The purpose of insurance is to protect the purchaser of the insurance from risks.  If a prior sexual assault raises the risk, then the premiums must be higher.  This is no different than a person that was hit by a drunk driver and has a pre-existing injury.  Or, a person that was shot in a home invasion and has a pre-existing injury.  Or, a person that has developed Parkinson's Disease.  In all these cases, the person was not at fault for their injury or illness, yet they still have a pre-existing condition that would necessitate higher premiums to cover the increased risk.

Like many others on this forum, I do not support the bill the Republicans just passed.  I don't support it because the government is still involved in insurance and healthcare.  I think the Republicans should have kept their word and simply repealed Obamacare, followed by passing legislation to get the government completely out of the insurance industry and the healthcare industry.

Edited by PatriotM
  • Like 3

Ken_S    96

The following is probably just an echo of opinion voiced many times by many people but I’ve resisted adding my two cents for long enough.

Why can’t healthcare insurance be just like car insurance?

Sure, I have a preexisting condition but my premium and deductible should be based on the likelihood of me making a claim, the size of that claim, and the frequency of claims. I am not the same risk as someone who say has Parkinson’s and does not take care of themselves or runs to the Doctors office for every little problem. Why am I being forced to resolve my personal problem (Parkinson’s) with such a cookie cutter, one solution fits all answer? I think it’s because we allow politicians, and drug companies and, hospitals, and our neighbors to manipulate us into believing that what is good for them is also good for us; we’ve allowed them to make us believe that making everyone have “Insurance” will somehow solve all our problems. Does anyone honestly believe that adding even more money to the “healthcare system” will actually solve any problem? Or is the more likely outcome of such a solution that the system will simply find a way to absorb the money and then propose that it needs more.  We need to ignore all the self-serving background noise and accept any change that moves the needle toward Freedom of choice and self-determination as progress in the right direction. This convoluted “system” we find ourselves in today didn’t happen overnight and to think there is some magic bullet that will fix it overnight is simply delusional.  Attitudes and expectations are slow to change but if we abandon even the attempt to change them, all is lost and it’s only a matter of time before our Republic will be overcome by mob rule.

I see this whole healthcare “Debate” as little more than emotional extortion, exacerbated by the intentional complication and fear mongering of something that should be very simple: let me find the solution to my own problems, let the market work.

• Like 3

Quietstill    450

The markets will work better than you think.  Parkinson's is now on the list as a pre-existing condition that you can be denied insurance for having.  If you have Medicare, PD is still covered.  However it is now pre-existing for any supplemental medicare insurance.  Good luck with fighting market forces on that one.

Ken_S    96

It’s no surprise that when fighting market forces, I will often find myself swimming against the current but when not given the choice; I think that’s called a monopoly.  On the same train of thought, “Insurance” is not the only solution, it might be the easiest and in some situations the cheapest, but I’m not willing to forgo all other possibilities for those reasons.

I wonder what percentage of customers the insurance companies make a profit on and how many of those people it would take to jump ship (Finding alternate ways to cover their expenses) it would take to get their attention? However; if I don’t have the option of jumping ship, I guess it’s a moot point. I don’t know anything about Supplemental Medicare insurance but suspect the same idea applies. The only difference being voluntary participation?

miracleseeker    675

Those who will lose coverage will scream the loudest of course.  The best and most consistent way to get insurance is still to have a job that provides it.  A lot of people at my work are beyond retirement age but will stay put for this reason alone.  Easier said than done I know but.... get a job that has coverage.  Is it hard to work for Walmart?   I believe their workers get health insurance.   Nowadays getting insurance with your job is the best perk of them all.  There really is no other way to get what you need unless you work for it.  For those who are beyond the ability to hold a job then I'm sure Trump will do something about that.  This is still America -  Land of handouts.

• Like 1

Quietstill    450
2 hours ago, miracleseeker said:

Those who will lose coverage will scream the loudest of course.  The best and most consistent way to get insurance is still to have a job that provides it.  A lot of people at my work are beyond retirement age but will stay put for this reason alone.  Easier said than done I know but.... get a job that has coverage.  Is it hard to work for Walmart?   I believe their workers get health insurance.   Nowadays getting insurance with your job is the best perk of them all.  There really is no other way to get what you need unless you work for it.  For those who are beyond the ability to hold a job then I'm sure Trump will do something about that.  This is still America -  Land of handouts.

Mandating insurance by large (proftable) corporations?  Doesn't work.  The company you mention has been fined numerous times for cutting their employees hours every sixth week to make that employee's hours ffall under the 'required' amount for insurance.  Sear used to do it also.  I worked for years at Sears, 40 hours for 5 weeks, 28 hours for the 6th week.  In that way I wasn't "Full-time" and eligible for benefits.

White-collar high paying corporate jobs are not available to all people in the work force.  I'm afraid telling people to get a job with coverage is not very realistic.  And remember, I pay for my own insurance right now, no handouts.  What would you suggest I do next year when Trump signs that my insurance can increase to 5 X the rate of someone in their 20s?  People really are trying out here in non-corporate positions, but Trumpcare is making it worse for anyone who is not making 150K a year.  Sorry, those are the facts of the ACHA.  And no, I don't get a free phone either.

PatriotM    806
3 hours ago, Quietstill said:

Mandating insurance by large (proftable) corporations?  Doesn't work. 

I agree!  The government should stop mandating insurance and get out of our lives to the maximum extent possible.

miracleseeker    675

I suppose I'm in the minority group of people who don't make huge sums of $ yet always had insurance covered by work.  This is not to say that it won't change tomorrow. My BIL is not even 60 yet but he wants to retire and do something meaningful while he is still able but he can't because paying for private insurance will eat a big chunk of his retirement monthly.  For now he will keep working just like a lot of us will do to keep up.

Quietstill    450

Above I posted on sexual assault as a pre-existing cpndition.  Clarification by the WaPo on sexual assault as pre-existing condition

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/05/06/no-the-gop-health-bill-doesnt-classify-rape-or-sexual-assault-as-a-preexisting-condition/?utm_term=.099cf1d2e063

They give this a claim 4 pinnochio, as 48 states have laws on the books preventing just this allegation.  However, if you wade through the article, "health Status" is a factor in pre-existing conditions.  If you get a prescription for an AIDS anti-viral (common in the 72 hours after a sexual assault), guess what?  Your 'health status' is flagged.  So the 4 pinochios are somewhat misleading.  You cannot be flagged as a sexual assault victim, only if you receive treatment for sexual assault.  I guess 'good girls' don't tell.

johnnys    460

Parkinson and all the neurological diseases are on the pre existing list.So if your younger than 65 and lose your job your out of luck

miracleseeker    675

I think it would be rare to find someone who doesn't have a pre existing condition of something.  I'm sure this will be a hot debate and something will be done about it.

Ken_S    96

What is this “List” of preexisting conditions? If I was to ask my Neurologist when I developed Parkinson’s, I’m sure he would launch into a lengthy explanation about the degenerative process, concluding with a shoulder shrug and a “Who’s to say” defaulting to the date of diagnosis, not if Parkinson’s was on any list or not.

Back when I was originally diagnosed (insurance threw employer) it hinged on the date of diagnosis, if I had continual coverage, and the fact that I was making a claim; it had nothing to do with the actual diagnosis.  Not surprisingly, my original claim was denied. Only after I challenged the denial (Based on my policy) was the claim accepted. My point being: coverage hinged on a contract between the insurance company and me; no need for Government mandates or Government generated lists. If I would have ultimately been denied or didn’t have insurance at the time of diagnosis, I would have found a way to pay for treatment myself. If I made a commitment to pay a hospital $300 per month (My insurance premium at the time), Plus a $3,000 up front payment (My deductible at the time), I think I would be hard pressed to find a hospital that would decline this offer. Why people are working so hard to introduce Government mandated middle men into a financial situation is beyond my understanding of how money works. Because insurance companies don’t consider your credit worthiness, does not change the equation. Try not paying or negotiating your monthly insurance premium and see how that adversely impacts them paying for your care.  The only explanation I can think of is that some people can’t, don’t want to, or feel some sense of entitlement is justification to not cover their own expenses. . If someone can’t pay for their medical care, there are preexisting mechanisms for taking care of them. If someone simply feels entitled, that’s what the legal system is for; failing that all others have inadequate reason to ask someone else to pay their way.

Let me make my own decisions concerning my medical care, not the Government.

• Like 1

johnnys    460

healthcare is just one of our struggles. Im so glad I got into volunteering for the Democratic party.

One thing you soon learn is everyone has their beliefs but we work for a common good.It is a choice between sovereignty and fellowship.

If you think we can manage our own costs in medical care without the help of a governed  oversight your delusional..

We need a leader to has a past history of one who demonstrates a total personality not one who leads by chaos and whim. 

The choice and effort we make today may well decide our children's fate 

• Like 2

Ken_S    96

That always has seemed to be the problem: we live in a world where half the people think the only way to get what they want—they call this the common good-- is to use the force of Government to extort compliance from the other half who view their solutions and tactics as counterproductive and an attack on personal freedoms. It amazes me how your Democratic party can claim moral righteousness on so many issues and at the same time deny the humanity of half the American people. Yes, it’s shameful for a country not to take care of the truly needy but it’s immoral not to distinguish those who can’t take care of themselves from those who won’t. Adding insult, your “Party’s” continual belittling and demonization of anyone who opposes them. Your characterization of our leadership as being chaotic and lead by “whim” simply demonstrates your unwillingness or incapability to understand what they are doing. If your “party” truly wants things to change for the better, they need to entertain the idea that the old way of doing things is only going to result in more of the same old results and that introducing meaningful change, although uncomfortable is only part of the growing process. What world would you rather have your children inherit: one dominated by convoluted Government regulations designed to benefit big corporations, bureaucrats, and special interests or one of self-determination where citizens willfully look after the welfare of each other? I personally think that many Democrats are acting out of self-interest or have so little faith in the humanity of their fellow Americans that they prefer the iron fist over willful cooperation. Where does it end—you did say “healthcare is just one of our struggles”—if forced to comply with the whim of my neighbor at what point is he my Master?

Vote no on intrusive Government control.

• Like 4