helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Linda Garren

Tell Congress: Vote No on New Health Care Reform Proposal

35 posts in this topic

Intrusive government control?  Not a problem.  The world may get much simpler in the future as more and more people use harsh and unkind words to silence any dissent.  Guess what, I appreciate your opinions, but why not give us your opinions rather than just tell us how 'bad' and coercive we are?  We can discuss opinions, and even gain new understandings of each other, but criticism without substance is not designed for any kind of solution or discussion.

I don't understand how we can possibly reduce the cost of health insurance to anyone except the heavily subsidized using the present system.  This seems to me to be either an outright lie or delusional thinking.  The supreme court has said the way we are presently paying health insurance is through a "tax" on the premiums of the healthy and those able to afford it.  Everyone that is deemed able to afford it pay the same amount, with a nod given to the bronze, silver, and gold levels,  regardless of income.    In addition there was, but not sure if there still is, a tax on medical equipment.  When has a tax on anything resulted in that "thing" being cheaper or more affordable?  We have sales tax but does that make those items cheaper?  How about we tax food for everyone but those on food stamps?  Those folks not only will not have to pay the sales tax but we'll reduce the cost of the food items by 50%.  The cost will all be paid for by those without food stamps.  The fact is sales tax, particularly on food is a very regressive tax as a larger percent of the disposable income of the poor is taken in tax versus the percent of income of the richer.  Does anyone believe that by handing out more food stamps and more subsidizes for those with lower incomes and paying for it entirely by a sales tax on the rest of us will make the overall cost of food cheaper?  Does anyone seriously believe that will result in cheaper and more available food?    I'd like to put forward the idea that taxing health insurance or medical equipment is much the same.  In my opinion any bill or system to reduce the cost of health insurance, make it more affordable and is paid for by a tax on health insurance and medical equipment is doomed to failure.  Frankly I think an income tax for all, based upon ability to pay, would be a much better approach.  Just my 2 cents.  I have other opinions about health insurance but will stop here.  Perhaps you can show me the errors of my thinking.            

Edited by lahdedah

lahdedah:

so are you arguing for a single payer system paid for through income tax?

you make a good argument against taxing something as a method of reducing cost than turn right around--I think--and propose a tax.

or are you only arguing against the medical device tax?

Thanks Linda for starting this thread and the link.  Quiet, thanks for posting the link.  That is alarming, and I have forwarded it to others.  And, thanks to all who posted for your thought provoking posts.  

Here is a good throw in on this topic.Are you satisfied in the care you receive ?

Part 2 would could be done for us to help ease the depression we find after our few infrequent visits.

Yes we need a strong government run for the people not by the corporations and that includes healthcare.

My republican congressman has said many times you are where you get your money in Washington.

IMHO our current government is run by the weathiest corporations and a bunch of corrupt old men that are still living in the past. Things will change in 4 years and go in the other direction. Yoyo effect. The extremist on both sides.

Edited by pdmanaz
spelling

People who have no children pay taxes to support the schooling of other people's children.  People pay taxes for roads they may never use.  People pay taxes to support research for diseases they may never get.  People pay taxes for people who are victims of natural disasters when they may never have a natural disaster themselves. Why then is it such a foreign idea that we pay taxes for healthcare we may never need or don't need today, but may need in the future and to benefit others who do need healthcare? The philosophy is that we have a communal responsibility to others and that the world is a better place if those who are able help lift the load of those who can't do for themselves. The argument can be made that this shared financial lift provides economic and social benefits for all of us.  Are healthy children more likely to do better in school and become productive, contributing citizens?  Just one possible economic benefit to society.  There are many more.  The alternate philosophy is the Darwinian survival of the fittest.  The philosophy that we are only responsible for ourselves and must turn a blind eye to the needs of others. ----Am I my brother's keeper?

A healthcare system that eliminates expensive layers that have nothing to contribute to our care, only make it more complicated, will lower healthcare costs.

2 people like this

First, set me straight on the goal of the original post ; does one need to differentiate between health care costs and health insurance costs..which might be impossible  Second: In my opinion, corruption is the norm...in almost everything.  However, the utopian fix for the cost of health insurance could be a true single payer system. 

If we combined every cent spent on health insurance, the taxes that go to insurance part of Medicare and Medicaid, the premiums which we pay to insurance companies,, every cent every where, then...I think there would be enough money to reduce the cost of health insurance for everyone.   Here's the downside; insurance companies and the jobs they produce would dissolve; some jobs in healthcare business offices would dissolve;  Are not those people our brothers (and sisters) to keep; theoretically the single payer management Agency would need fewer personnel in a single payer health insurance system than are now employed in the current multi-payer health insurance system.

But the saving greed...I mean saving grace, is it will not work, primarily because in my opinion, corruption is the norm.  If we were able to miraculously implement a single payer system, the system would systematically become corrupted.

But to tie this back to this ever new situation I find myself in, namely having PD,  I know I will have more difficulty in living life to the fullest, but knowing that is not going to stop me from trying to enjoy life to the fullest.  Therefore, knowing that it will be very difficult to improve the health insurance systems should not stop us from trying.

I enjoy reading the posts, both the inspirational and the provocative.

Good luck in all things. M

1 person likes this

people become pessimistic of government because they don't get involved.It's very rewarding and my PD complaints diminish significantly the more I stay engaged in making a difference

.The country is far better off today then fifty years ago.Dr.low often said ,men suffer mostly from their philosophy of life

.So true wouldn't you say.lol

Edited by johnnys

“I look upon an increase in the power of the State with the greatest fear because, although while apparently doing good by minimizing exploitation, it does the greatest harm to mankind by destroying individuality which lies at the heart of all progress.”
Mahatma Gandhi

1 person likes this