helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

deltsea    108

My very first symptoms of PD were my toes on my left foot curling under it was annoying then and it's even more annoying now .   I've been going to my MDS for Botox shots once a quarter .  She's only actually hit the muscle once.   I could feel the Botox going in like heat running down my leg or like Anastasia goes into your body before surgery .   I had excellent results that one time and my toes literally didn't curl for the entire quarter.  The other three times I had moderate to no results at all. Botox shots are very expensive and it is hugely disappointing when it doesn't work.  

I also take 1 Valium pill at bedtime to relax my muscles.  This works on ny toes   When the Botox does not  

what I'm wondering is what do other people do for dystonia and toe curling?   Does your MDS give you the Botox shots or does the podiatrist or somebody else  ?  Should I just switch the valium entirely has anyone tried that ? Help!

MurrayPD2    219

I get into a relaxing position that does not aggravate and try to stretch it out.  I also focus on relaxing.  Often, my hip will be stiff and if I focus on stretching the out side of my leg, that can help.   It is usally around wear-off time, so I take my C/L and Amantadine and it eventually goes away.

otolorin    28

You can see a podiatrist who has experience with pwp,for evaluation.He can recommend a shoe that will prevent the curling of your toes,especially during activities like standing and walking.

Besides Carbidopa-Levodopa that partly helps, three times a day I take one 1,000mg capsule of an over-the-counter Standardized Turmeric Curcumin Complex blend.  (It is my understanding that the curcumin is the active ingredient in the turmeric.)  That frequency and dose seemed to work adequately to control my dystonias while experimenting, so I stayed--well, at least I don't feel the constant need to grab a sledge hammer to straighten out my toes, anymore.

Ask your MDS about it.

• Like 1

MarciaJ    262

The toe curling was killing me. I went so far as to give my treadmill to my sister. Couldn't walk on it. If only I knew then what I know now. When I started to see the neuro he put me on meds and one stopped the curling. I'd go see your neuro and tell him about it. Now I have an exercise bike. A recumbent bike is lower to the ground and has handlebars to help with staying on it.