helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
stump

Summer adventure season starting

Beau's Mom    1,060

Wow! A gold star for you, Stump. What an undertaking. I feel so happy that you are able to enjoy your life the way you have in the past.

Dianne

• Like 1

stump    466

Yesterday (9/16) was the Bellingham Traverse race.  It's a relay (well, you can do the whole thing solo, and quite a few people did so, but most do it as a 2 or 5 person team) with a total of 6 legs.  There's a road run, mountain bike, road bike, trail run, paddle, and finally a team run that make up the total event.  My part was the paddle leg, plus of course the team run.  The total course for the paddle leg was 3.6 miles, and the only restriction was it had to be human powered (so no sails or motors, but any style of paddle or pedal drive was OK).  I used a borrowed sea kayak as it should have been quite a bit faster than my own kayak given that it's longer and narrower.  

My time for that leg was 43 minutes.  I passed at least half a dozen other paddlers, and only got passed by 1 during that paddle.  By the end I couldn't feel my feet, my knees took a while (a minute or two) to work correctly again, and my right hand (not the PD affected side, but very much my dominant side) was about seized up.  Part of the problem was my water bottle slid to my feet when I was getting into the kayak and I wasn't able to get to it until 3/4 of the way to the end.  So I was really thirsty by then.  But also the cockpit of the kayak was so tight that I couldn't shift around at all since my feet were jammed up against each other and my knees were essentially pinned in place.

But, overall it was a good race.  I'm pleased with my time.   I think with some focused training I could get under 40 minutes next year even with the same kayak and paddle.  With a faster kayak (a surf ski especially) and a more race oriented paddle I could definitely cut more time, probably another 5 minutes or so, and probably have fewer problems with my feet and knees at the end.  A different paddle might also help some with the hand issues.  Fitting my Camelbak hydration bladder to my PFD or something would also help a lot.

I'll almost certainly do this again next year, assuming work doesn't interfere.

Edited by stump
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stump    466
1 hour ago, LAD said:

Nice! 

It's t-minus 1 for our family trip to London.  Stay tuned!

LAD

Excellent!  Never been to Europe.  Been to New Zealand 3 times, but not the UK.  Have a great trip!

Edited by stump