helplinedonate
stump

Summer adventure season starting

Not sure if this counts but I’m off to Indianapolis to get certified as a rock steady coach! It’s going to be an adventure!

LAD

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, LAD said:

Not sure if this counts but I’m off to Indianapolis to get certified as a rock steady coach! It’s going to be an adventure!

LAD

Well, Roald Amumdsen said "adventure is just bad planning." 😉

Anyway looks like India the last week of September and Netherlands/Belgium early October is a go. 

Going to meet a college buddy that lives near Munich now, and hopefully a guy I was friends with when we were both exchange students in New Zealand 24 years ago (he lives in Sweden now).  They'll both meet me in Amsterdam for a weekend.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stump said:

Well, Roald Amumdsen said "adventure is just bad planning." 😉

Anyway looks like India the last week of September and Netherlands/Belgium early October is a go. 

Going to meet a college buddy that lives near Munich now, and hopefully a guy I was friends with when we were both exchange students in New Zealand 24 years ago (he lives in Sweden now).  They'll both meet me in Amsterdam for a weekend.

Now that’s an adventure. 

• Like 1

I've been to New Zealand 3 times, including my year as an exchange student.  Otherwise, besides a weekend in Toronto when I was maybe 5-6, and a couple trips to Mexican border towns, I haven't been outside the country.  This will be my first time ever to Europe, and India of course.

I also get my first ever trip to Hawaii in just a few weeks.  Really hoping to hook into a BIG yellow fin tuna (ahi) from a kayak.  August is when the 100-200lb ahi show up over there.  That alone would make that trip for me.

6 hours ago, stump said:

I've been to New Zealand 3 times, including my year as an exchange student.  Otherwise, besides a weekend in Toronto when I was maybe 5-6, and a couple trips to Mexican border towns, I haven't been outside the country.  This will be my first time ever to Europe, and India of course.

I also get my first ever trip to Hawaii in just a few weeks.  Really hoping to hook into a BIG yellow fin tuna (ahi) from a kayak.  August is when the 100-200lb ahi show up over there.  That alone would make that trip for me.

Hawaii is awesome! I loved it but the flight is brutal. It’s considered a domestic flight so it’s got more people and less room. 

Enjoy! We hiked a lot!

LAD

2 hours ago, LAD said:

Hawaii is awesome! I loved it but the flight is brutal. It’s considered a domestic flight so it’s got more people and less room. 

Enjoy! We hiked a lot!

LAD

We'll be on Kauai.  I'm sure we'll be doing a lot of hikes.  Not to mention beach time.  Hopefully I'll be able to post some good pictures.

1 hour ago, stump said:

We'll be on Kauai.  I'm sure we'll be doing a lot of hikes.  Not to mention beach time.  Hopefully I'll be able to post some good pictures.

We were in Honolulu (Oahu?)..., Lanai & Maui 

we took a helicopter over Molokai 

LAD

Stump, I'll be visualizing you snagging that 200 lb. yellow-fin tuna. If you can conceive it, it can happen!

Dianne   

• Like 1

On 7/18/2018 at 9:21 AM, stump said:

We were in Honolulu (Oahu?)..., Lanai & Maui 

we took a helicopter over Molokai 

LAD

So on my trip, I found the opportunity to educate a TSA agent. Going through security, my meds got separated from my bin...panic ensues...followed by tremors while in the body scanner. Upon exiting the scanner the agent says “ you need to stand still next time.” I laughed and reply “sorry not going to happen I have PD” after some awkward silence she replied “you never have to apologize for that” 

it all worked out and I’m guessing she’ll never say that again 😊

• Like 4

Hawaii bound!  Sitting in SFO waiting for our (delayed) flight.  TSA in Seattle was fine at least.  With 4 kids they were reasonably accommodating.

Fishing Sunday, weather permitting.  Checked the swell forecast and, to me at least it looks good to go.  Winds are a little iffy.  We shall see what the local guy says tomorrow.

Hector is about 400-500 miles south of Kauai and going nearly due west last I saw.  It's impacting swells here, but other than maybe some extra rain the hurricane is a non-event.

No fish today.  Got massive take down on my rod, but it was probably a giant trevally.  Took the bait hard, but by the time I got the rod out of the holder it probably ran into a rock or coral hole and that cut the line.

Surf launch was the hardest I've ever done.  Took several tries and many soakings to get through the surf zone.  Once past the breakers though it was fine.  Almost kept the kayak right side up on the landing until the extra wave broke with me a little sideways.  

Will post a picture in a bit.

Edited by stump