helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
MusicMan

Sinemet making me feel sick?

MusicMan    771

After a few years now of taking generic sinemet, I'm starting to feel ill after taking it, even tho I'm taking the same amount. I usually take a few saltines with my dosage, so it's not the empty stomach thing. It's not a nausea feeling, but more of a dizzy, ill type feeling occurring about 15 minutes after taking it.

Has anyone else who has been on sinemet for a while got to a point where it just made you feel sick?

miracleseeker    675

Check and see if you are still taking the same Sinemet from the manufacturer that you started with.  Sometimes the Pharmacy can change brands and not let you know.  It happened to my mom with her Mirapex.  She was switched from name brand to generic without my knowledge.   Since there are so many makers of generic Sinemet the same thing could be happening to you too.

Linda Garren    751

I've not experienced that, MM, and I've been on it longer than you have.  I'd suggest you check with Dr. Okun and Mark.

Am so sorry you are experiencing that. 

New normal    1,275

Agree w/both. Check w/dr.  But generics have a lot of variance.  I think if yr doc says u have to have regular, insurance pays. Good luck.

MusicMan    771

Sorry...should have said that it's the same generic I've been taking for at least 3 months. Weird, ill feeling only started roughly 3 weeks ago.

MusicMan    771

Possibly, but it would be highly coincidental to always happen about 15 to 30 minutes after taking the sinemet

Feisty Folder    162

Could the dizziness be a low blood pressure issue? I know my visions alot more likely to go dark if I stand up too fast when my meds are peaking. Or maybe it's some kind of blood sugar issue surrounding how you time your meals around the meds? Maybe it's the saltines and you've suddenly devolped some sort of blood pressure reaction to salt? ( That last one is a real strech I know, I'm just spit balling) or maybe you've suddenly started eating all the beautiful spring  fruits  and veggies that are in season, so you're eating less protein overall making the meds hit your system just a teeny bit harder than usual? Or maybe you have a virus that's unnoticeable except for when the Sinemet adds to the otherwise ignorable symptoms(my allergies currently have my Sinemet hitting like a Mac truck)? One last thought- for a few years now, if I don't make a concerted effort to consume enough electrolytes once it starts getting warm out, I feel dizzy and crappy. I don't know what the weather is like where you are but for me that feeling hits as low as the mid 70s, and I could see Sinemet accentuating that.

In answer to your question-Sinemet has been known to make me dizzy- but if this is new than you know the drill- contact your Dr yadda yadda yadda

Hope you figure it out

Linda Garren    751

Feisty, I love all of your thoughts as to what it could be.  Being able to do that as the creative person you are is real strength.  :-)

MM, have you thought of contacting both your supplier and the manufacturer?  It would be interesting to find out if they have had other calls with the same issue.

I have heard that getting a message out on Facebook (to anyone) will hasten a company's response, because that's one of the last places they would want anything negative to be said about their company/products.  Companies find out pretty quickly when their name has been entered on Facebook, so you might find a quick response from them that way.

Edited by Linda Garren

lahdedah    45

When I was first diagnosed I started on Sinemet, one pill 3times daily.  Along with nausea I would also get mildly dizzy and my cheeks would sort get numb or tingle shortly after taking a pill.  That is exactly how I feel when I'm bordering on drinking too much alcohol.  I never got to the point where I was taking enough Sinemet to adequately control my symptoms.  I am now on Rytary and have had better results (yes, I know Rytary is basically Sinemet with some changes in the delivery system).  Still upon occasion, if I have not eaten anything before and immediately after taking Rytary, I will get that dizzy and cheek tingling sensation.  It seems to happen more often in the morning than at 2:00 and 10:00.  I think I am sensitive to the levodopa and abrupt changes affect me in the manner I've just described.  I believe my sensitivity is due more to the sudden ups and downs not necessarily the amount of levodopa I am taking.   The Rytary seems like it is smoother and has fewer highs and lows.  It is only when my stomach is completely empty and nothing is slowing the absorption of levodopa that I get this reaction.  On the mornings I take my pills first thing and then immediately eat breakfast, I get along OK.      

BillBRNC    27

I eat two Saltines right before taking my doses of Sinemet, even if I'm eating right after taking it. It blows my stomach away if I don't.

MusicMan    771

Well, I have been making a concerted effort to avoid eating 2 hours before taking sinemet, just to test the effectiveness on a more empty stomach. Before, I didn't worry much about the timing of meds and meals. Maybe I'm one of those few who don't have to be that careful about protein interference?

miracleseeker    675

i don't think it's just you.  My mom used to take her meds right after meals and it didn't matter at all back then.  Still... curious to know why the C/L is making you sick all of a sudden. 

MusicMan    771

Hey MS. Maybe I am just reacting to the "empty stomach" thing. Before, food might have absorbed some of the sinemet, making the impact less noticeable. Now I'm taking it without the food interference and it's hitting me hard?

MusicMan    771

Well, a few saltines versus a full breakfast of 3 eggs, toast, and grits. Or a full lunch or dinner. I would THINK there's a big difference, but maybe not...

I feel not well 15-20 min after taking levo/car (dopicar). Sometimes  I feel my heart beating, or I just need to rest , after +-20 min it passes

Always on empty stomach cause if I ate proteins less then 2 hours before taking mes they don't work :(

Should check blood pressure next time it happens .. 

Kaydee    3

I also started feeling sick after taking the regular sinemet, and it didn't start right away it started about a year after I took the meds. It made me feel sick like I had a flu.  I'm now on the extended release release and I don't have the same problem with this formulation.

Drummergirl    98

Hi MM, sorry you are having this issue. 

This happens to me as well, not daily. It happens more consistently with the am dose. I do eat something non competitive so my stomachs not empty, but it's not the amount of food like daytime.  Try eating a little more just before taking meds. You may need to adjust your food intake or what type of food before meds. The first 7 years on CL I didn't have such issues, but since, my stomach is awful. I personally think and have read that CL can cause stomach issues...one more thing to look forward to..??

hercules957    110

I believe that it is the fast absorption of levodopa that makes us feel ill. I take levodopa from Mucuna and periodically I get this ill feeling 20 min after intake on an empty stomach. It never happens in the morning and I do take it on an empty stomach. It will usually occur at the 12:00 or 17:00 doses.  I get pounding heartbeats, mild dizziness and an uneasiness feeling.  It passes after 10 min.  To manage this, I cut my doses in 2 and take it 30 min apart. It is also controlled with food but too much food leads me to believe I lose some absorption.  So I tried taking it with 2 large TBS of brown rice and 1 TBS of coconut oil and it works. So I basically make sure my stomach has food leftover in it form eating earlier, or I eat with the dose or I cut the dose in 1/2 and take the second 1/2 30 min later.

MurrayPD2    219

My MDS said to eat something with High Carbs while taking it.  It is really just the protein level that is a concern.  My morning stomach is the most sensitive.  If I take it on an empty stomach, I will get warm, sweaty, possibly dry heave or actually throw up.  It also hurts like stomach cramps.  It is pretty rough.  I haven't noticed a big difference with food.