helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
BillBRNC

Swallowing Exercises?

BillBRNC    27

I have a problem with aspirating fluid and having trouble swallowing pills. Are the swallowing exercises worth the effort? I assume so, but thought I would ask.

Feisty Folder    162

Swallowing exercises absolutely were worth it for me, I improved so much that I was able to cut my thickened liquid use by half and have been able to enjoy some foods I was convinced I would never be able to eat again. A good SLP will be able to both help you strengthen your swallow and help you find work arounds to remaining issues. The first time I dipped a crunchy graham cracker into applesauce and ate it I cried, because I had previously believed I would never be able to enjoy the flavors of a smores again. Now I know I can dip a smores in something like pudding and still enjoy the experience. If swallowing is in anyway effecting your life l would say find an experienced SLP as soon as possible. 

Summary- in my opinion swallowing exercise are very helpful and a good SLP is worth their weight in gold

BillBRNC    27

FF, thanks for the reply. I have been using exercises I found online, but it seems to me that this is just so important to quality of life. I guess I will get my neuro to refer me to a SLP. I recently finished the BIG movement therapy program at the same place that has SLPs, so I guess that's the place. Thanks again. Bill.

BillBRNC    27

I Googled swallowing exercises and go a lot of them. I just picked one that looked to be legit and that had the same stuff I had read in other Google hits. Good luck.