helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
noah

traveling across time zones

noah    66

I am going from Boston to arizona  and I am concerned about how to handle my meds.  I take meds q 3 hrs. Anyone have any tips?

I also will need a wheelchair or a ride on one of those carts that zoom all over the airport.  Actually I would  ;prefer the cart(they look kinda fun)

Any idea how far in advance you would need to make these arrangements.

Anybody have any tips?

I feel like this concern is making it hard for me to be excited

BillBRNC    27

I've not traveled across time zones since diagnosis, but I would assume that you continue taking your pills every 3 hours using the time in Boston. I'm not sure, but there is either 2 or 3 hours difference between Boston and Arizona, but you should keep your medication on Boston time just like you do now. Every three hours. Now, if you're going to stay in Arizona for several weeks or more, then maybe consider moving the time, but personally I would not. As for the help at the airport, just tell them at least a day ahead what you need, and the airline should take care of everything. If not, just tell the gate agent that you need help, and tell them what you need. You might have a longer wait, but it shouldn't be too long.  Good luck and enjoy your trip.

noah    66

when i go out to arizona I gain 3 hours so i will need to take an extra dose.  I dont take the same dose each time so I am unsure what to take I will talk to my doctor before i go.

i have always been a nervous flyer and now with pd i am concern it will be worse.

any tips?

stump    464

I've had a few trips to Detroit, which for me is a 3 hour time change.  Trips were just a few days in duration, so I kept taking my meds at the same West Coast time.  So instead of 8AM/2PM/8PM I took them at 11AM, 5PM and 11PM Detroit time.  That worked OK, but I'm also early enough in this disease that it's less of a deal.

If you can, just maintain your home time schedule I'd recommend that if the trip is only a few days.  More than a week and you might need to adjust to local times.

No good tips on dealing with nerves while flying.  I love flying (small airplanes, not so much with commercial but that has more to do with the way the airlines and the TSA treat you than anything else) so I never have any nervousness or fear.  

adams234    242

Best advice I got and I used and continue to use is this. If you flight is during the day take your dose on your starting time zone. Once you arrive at your destination stay on the time zone you just came from till you go to bed. When you get up take meds at the new time zone to the schedule you where using. Then do the reverse when you go back.

I did this when I flew to Iceland and it worked well for me. (5 hour change) my flight was overnight. I took my last pills boarded the plane and then tried to sleep. Once we arrived in Iceland I took my regular morning dose at 7am Iceland time. I found I had no issue doing it that way. When we came home I stayed on the Iceland time zone and took an extra pill because we gained 5 hours. When I went to bed that night I made sure to go to bed at my regular time. Then put my self on my regular schedule the following morning.

Hope this helps

Blessing

• Like 1

noah    66

Sounds like good advice but my challenge is i take my first dose @ 6:30 and my flight is at 6. so in order to move around i will have to take my 630 dose early say 5 

Then when I get to arizona i will have 3 extra hours to take meds for that i usually dont.  

why to take your dose at the special time? I take my first does about 30 min after I get up and after that repeat it every 4 hours. So when I fly (10 hours time difference) I am not looking at the clock, just set a timer for 4 hours - works OK

tips? I try to move during the flights as much as I can - even making some simple exercises with upper part of the body.

drink a little more then usual

about the arrangements - why not to call the company you fly with and just ask them? :) 

• Like 1

adams234    242

Noah. I asked my doctor about this, She told me if I needed to adjust my first dose because of special events then just adjust the timing for the rest of the day. She also said it was ok to take an extra pill on a day of travel because of time changes.

Double check with you doc. just to be sure.

Hope this helps

Adam

LAD    216
On May 9, 2017 at 4:36 PM, adams234 said:

Best advice I got and I used and continue to use is this. If you flight is during the day take your dose on your starting time zone. Once you arrive at your destination stay on the time zone you just came from till you go to bed. When you get up take meds at the new time zone to the schedule you where using. Then do the reverse when you go back.

I did this when I flew to Iceland and it worked well for me. (5 hour change) my flight was overnight. I took my last pills boarded the plane and then tried to sleep. Once we arrived in Iceland I took my regular morning dose at 7am Iceland time. I found I had no issue doing it that way. When we came home I stayed on the Iceland time zone and took an extra pill because we gained 5 hours. When I went to bed that night I made sure to go to bed at my regular time. Then put my self on my regular schedule the following morning.

Hope this helps

Blessing

I did the same thing with traveling to Italy & Hawaii!

LAD