helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
LAD

Azilect vs Selegilne

What's the difference between azilect and selegiline? 

Edited by LAD

Selegiline:

Selective Monoamine Oxidase B (MAO-B) Inhibitor- Monoamine Oxidase Metabolizes Dopamine

Also has some affinity for MAO-A

Usually used in combination with levodopa

Has a food restriction interaction with foods containing Tyramine (wine, aged cheese, cured meats) and can cause a severe spike in blood pressure

Is available in tablet and patch form

One of it's metabolites is a derivative of Amphetamine so it should not be used too close to bedtime

has also been used for depression

Azilect:

Newer than selegiline

Selective MOA-B Inhibitor with no apparent affinity for MAO-A

Used as Monotherapy solely for Parkinson's Disease

There has not been a reported case of any food interaction's as there are with Selegiline

Appears to be Neuroprotective where as Selegiline does not

Does not have an Amphetamine derivative as a metabolite so there is no restriction on time of day dosing

More potent than Selegiline (lesser dose controls symptoms to a greater extent than Selegiline)

Only used for Parkinson's Disease

Less side effects than Selegiline

I hope this helps and please keep me posted

If you are considering taking it in tablet form, I would recommend the Azilect due to less side effects and greater efficacy. 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

I take selegilne 2x a day and Mirapex. I'm doing well... I hate to "fix something that's not broken" but this gives me something to ask about next time.

thank you

LAD,

Absolutely. The bonus of a lower dose required, less side effects, no food interactions, and a once a day dosing are great advantages.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.